Do any of you miss your Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Getting near 40k on mine. After nearly 3 years I have no regrets..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My past experience with a diesel was not a favorable one. DEF spills, bad sensors, NOS trap failure, constant regins that made your feet feel like you were walking on the surface of the sun in the summer time. It was expensive. But it may have just been a bad egg. The up side was the mileage and the available torque.

I could not take that chance again. The wife would have smothered me in my sleep. She hated the diesel.

All that said. I bought the 6.4. and love it, wish it had better gearing. I will be updating the gear set to at least 4:10. I'm thinking I should go bigger than that. We will be using the truck to tow our 7500lb TT about 5 to 6 times a year. Not sure if I need to go all the way up to the 4:56. But still doing some research.
Way back when, if you had 456's, you HAD 456's bc top gear was 1:1 ratio. Now, with two overdriven gears in our 2500's, 456's are actually like running 285's
(4.56 x 0.625 = 2.85). I have the 4.10's in mine and am considering 5.13's. (Equivolent to 3.21's) This is only true for top gear. Trans gearing changes the math in lower gears. My $.02

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I tell you what I miss. My brother had a 1994 2wd long bed club cab Ram with the 12v and 5 speed....I still miss than truck. It would get 26-29 mpg unloaded and would pull our 3500lb regal and 35ft enclosed trailer like nothing. It would still get 14-16 mpg pulling that junk from Memphis uphill to Bowling Green, KY. He traded it in and bought a 96 4x4 club cab with an automatic. What a pathetic POS that was. I pulled that trailer empty to Flint, MI and it barely got 10 MPG and even empty stuggled up hills in middle Tenn and KY. I even called him and told him I thought something was wrong with it. He said no, it's just detuned to make the automatic live. I laughed and said you need to trade this crap back in and get a 5 spd!!

That was a great truck!

Was that driving the old max speed limit of 55 mph? My old 12v Cummins would never get close to 26 mpg with a speed limit of 75 mph.

OP
OP
Firebird

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I still miss my 2007 with the last of the 5.9's
However, it was not very fuel efficient. The 6.7's did better on fuel for me, but I would take that 2007 back in a heartbeat!

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was that driving the old max speed limit of 55 mph? My old 12v Cummins would never get close to 26 mpg with a speed limit of 75 mph.

Whatever the limit was, we left from Horn Lake, MS to head to Allen, TX for Thanksgiving. On the return, I was less hungover, so I was driving. I think really the first time I had driven it much. We did 65-80 the entire way. Coming back thru Texarkana, the fuel light came on, but it seemed like the gauge was still at 3/8 of a tank. I thought maybe the gauge was acting up so I pulled in to fuel up. My brother woke up and asked why? I said we're out of fuel. He looked and said no way....we could make it back to Memphis probably. I filled it up and it only took 24 gallons. I think it had a 34 or 35 gallon tank. I don't remember the exact numbers but I hand calculated and remember it was right at 25 or 26 mpg.

He put almost 100k on that truck and it was flawless. Tires and brakes and fuel. Did I mention how much of a POS that 96 automatic 4x4 was? It looked good...but I still think something was wrong with it. I know the auto's were detuned, but it's like they detuned it twice.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't miss mine.... because I still have one :). Back in 2013 I did buy a new Hemi 2500. Just didn't work for me and traded it in on another Cummins after the first year.
I also had a 2006 5.9 Cummins mega cab. Great truck and I know lot of people still love the 5.9 but I have to say I do like my 2016 6.7 better.

2018 Hemi

Reaction score
Yes I really miss the Cummins, the 6.4 is a great truck but pulling not the best and hate pulling into a gas station with a 36’ RV. Hope to go back to diesel again.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Yes I really miss the Cummins, the 6.4 is a great truck but pulling not the best and hate pulling into a gas station with a 36’ RV. Hope to go back to diesel again.

I never even thought of that, but that would definitely be something I would miss if I had a gaser. I pull into the diesel truck pumps all the time when towing my RV because there is so much room to maneuver compared to the regular pumps.

Baxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
[QUOTE = "SouthTexan, post: 1745498, member: 30435"] Quelques personnes ici ont échangé 6,4 litres contre un diesel, mais pas beaucoup. Là encore, il n'y a pas beaucoup de propriétaires de diesel sur ce forum puisque la plupart vont sur le forum Cummins.

La plupart ici sont des propriétaires de gaz, et parmi ceux que j'ai vus, beaucoup sont prêts à croire (ou à ressembler) aux autres quand ils disent qu'ils obtiennent 18 milles au gallon dans une essence ou 500k miles sur un 6,4 litres sans rien remplacer. Ils préfèrent croire un mensonge qu'entendre la vérité, alors prenez certaines des réponses avec un grain de sel. [/ QUOTE]
Moi jai un ram cummins. 2016 et jai. Economiser 9000$ de gas comparer avec mon hemi non je retournerapas au gas

Baxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Mon ram 2500 cummins ma fait economiser 8500$ en 3 ans et demie non je retourne pas au hemi quand tu pine un trailer ses une merveille pas de crillage