Do any of you miss your Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Good info. I'd also throw in the crankcase filter, egr cleanings, amd faster wear on tires ball joints etc from the shear weight of the Cummins. In the end, as I stated above. There isn't a huge difference in cost over time like some think. Also depends on what you do with the initial upcharge. Even if one doesn't have the cash, if you put 8700 into a mutual fund over 72 months, what's that worth after 10 years? If someone did that over the last 10 yeas they would have aahuge chunk of cash plain and simple. Interesting thought many dont factor in. Also, did the 6.7 update oil change intervals? Mine recommended changes earlier than the hemi. A case of oil every 6 -8 months is a factor too. If that has changed then maybe it's more of a wash.

EGR cleaning is no longer recommended due to the SCR/DEF system and the crankcase filter is about $70. If you want to add up what it costs for the 12 PM's on the 6.4L and the 6 PM's on the Cummins over the course of 100k, then I think that would cover the extra $70 for the crank case filter. My oil and fuel filter changes cost me $135 every 15k if I do it all myself and $155 if I let my dealership do the oil. How much do you pay every 8k?

The Cummins oil needing to be changed every 6 months is a recommendation by Ram(not Cummins) just like 89 octane is for the 6.4L and how many of you guys actually abide by that? The 6.7L in similar applications in other mskes has a 12 month 15k mile interval, but Ram cuts it back to 6 months.

As far as the semantics of the added wear due to weight, that usually doesn't show by 100k and the diesel trucks have a higher rated front axle and suspension for this reason.

Regarding the additional $8,700, most people take out a loan for $40k+ trucks so it is not like the bank will give you an additional $8,700 on top of the loan just so you can invest it.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EGR cleaning is no longer recommended due to the SCR/DEF system and the crankcase filter is about $70. If you want to add up what it costs for the 12 PM's on the 6.4L and the 6 PM's on the Cummins over the course of 100k, then I think that would cover the extra $70 for the crank case filter. My oil and fuel filter changes cost me $135 every 15k if I do it all myself and $155 if I let my dealership do the oil. How much do you pay every 8k?

The Cummins oil needing to be changed every 6 months is a recommendation by Ram(not Cummins) just like 89 octane is for the 6.4L and how many of you guys actually abide by that? The 6.7L in other similar applications has a 12 month 15k mile interval, but Ram brings it bag to 6 months.

As far as the semantics of the added wear due to weight, that usually doesn't show by 100k and the diesel trucks have a higher rated front axle and suspension for this reason.

Regarding the additional $8,700, most people take out a loan for $40k+ trucks so it is not like the bank will give you an additional $8,700 on top of the loan so you can invest it.
Thanks for some clarification there. No, I'm saying take the extra $100 or so a month. Instead of paying for the diesel, stick it in a mutual fund every month. See what you have after 10 years, and factor that in. I'm gonna stick with my believe that the cost of ownership in an overall sense, is fairly close based on what I've experienced from owning both. It comes down to which application makes more sense to the individual. If we can't agree to that brother, let's agree to disagree.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Thanks for some clarification there. No, I'm saying take the extra $100 or so a month. Instead of paying for the diesel, stick it in a mutual fund every month. See what you have after 10 years, and factor that in. I'm gonna stick with my believe that the cost of ownership in an overall sense, is fairly close based on what I've experienced from owning both. It comes down to which application makes more sense to the individual. If we can't agree to that brother, let's agree to disagree.

That is what I am saying, but people keep posting as if the cost difference between the two is some exorbitant amount. In reality, even if you don't tow, you are paying about the same for a 6.4L and a Cummins if you calculate the overall costs and value at trade in. Even if the Cummins was $500-1,000 more over the course of 100k, the amount of pulling more you get from it is worth it. After all, 6.4L owners used to pay more then that for less of an increase in pulling power over the 5.7L.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is what I am saying, but people keep posting as if the cost difference between the two is some exorbitant amount. In reality, even if you don't tow, you are paying about the same for a 6.4L and a Cummins if you calculate the overall costs and value at trade in. Even if the Cummins was $500-1,000 more over the course of 100k, the amount of pulling more you get from it is worth it. After all, 6.4L owners used to pay more then that for less of an increase in pulling power over the 5.7L.
Yes and it's hard to pinpoint. A fellow driving 6000 miles a year may find a substantial difference from someone driving 25k a year. Or a guy towing heavy all the time vs the occasional tower. It's relative and results can sway either way but I agree in the end, on average, it is close. Unless you take my mutual fund advice :). Good thread guys.

turnerje

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maintenance is about the same due to high cost of the 6.4 oil and the Cummins is every 15k miles instead of 8k on the 6.4L. So you would only be doing 6 oil/fuel filter changes in the Cummins over the course of 100k miles versus 12 in the 6.4L. As far as repairs, the Cummins comes with a 100k powertrain warranty standard.

If you add up the fuel savings(12 mpg in the 6.4L versus 15.5 mpg in the Cummins according the fuelly.com) along with the money recouped in resales/trade in(generally about $6k), the difference is likely to to be less than what you paid for the 6.4L upgrade at 100k miles.

I disagree on the oil changes being the same, if you look for deals. I always buy service conracts from the dealer. I just got my second (out of four total) oil / wheel rotations on my 17 Power Wagon. I paid $100 plus tax for the contract. $25 per visit. Someone is losing money on that deal and it isn’t me. I’ll agree on the resale value though, but being that I have a power wagon that should help if I ever decide to go a different route.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I think for the most part everyone in the last couple pages is in heated agreement overall.....different strokes for different folks. There is and has never been one perfect truck which is why there are so many combinations.

Based on the discussions I see daily in the RV groups there is much more passionate debate these days over 150/1500 vs. 2500/3500 platform to tow a certain trailer than powerplants....... and I am happy every day for my 3000# payload and 2500.

I think Ram offering the 6.4 and/or the 5.7 was a wise move to really hit the market I sit squarely in....towing 2-3X per month during the warmer months but not towing "heavy" per se and not at Western altitude. Having the chassis of the 2500, the payload etc. vs. a 1500 and the simplicity of a gas engine with a usable torque curve I can use maybe 2x every 3 weeks at times and not have to think about regen cycles etc. is perfect for me. I push a button and off I go.

$100 oil changes..... for me, not enough miles per year to care and I was used my DIY 15 quart synthetic changes costing the same amount on my diesel.

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
I don't tow anymore. So, I absolutely don't miss my old Cummins. The 6.4 is just a lot more fun to drive!

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disagree on the oil changes being the same, if you look for deals. I always buy service conracts from the dealer. I just got my second (out of four total) oil / wheel rotations on my 17 Power Wagon. I paid $100 plus tax for the contract. $25 per visit. Someone is losing money on that deal and it isn’t me. I’ll agree on the resale value though, but being that I have a power wagon that should help if I ever decide to go a different route.
I don't drive enough miles in either rig to warrant changing more than once a year. I have used Amsoil in both and have found the gas engine costs a little less per change. Not a make or break difference by any means but it is what it is.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 7.3 power stroke at one time and right now I have the 6.4, I would love to have a diesel again, but with me only driving short trips around town and when I do tow its less than 10000lbs couple times a year the the 6.4 make the most sense for me right now.

Alexpaul09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I see a lot of guys saying 6.4's are supposed to use 89 octane but I looked in my owners manual on my 2014 and it says 87. I would love a cummins but I can't afford new and when looking for a 3/4 ton used under 100k miles there's a hell of a difference in price in the same truck diesel vs gas

turnerje

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see a lot of guys saying 6.4's are supposed to use 89 octane but I looked in my owners manual on my 2014 and it says 87. I would love a cummins but I can't afford new and when looking for a 3/4 ton used under 100k miles there's a hell of a difference in price in the same truck diesel vs gas

89 is recommended and 87 is acceptable. The 5.7 (at least the 13 that I had) was the same way. I use 87 in my 6.4 for daily use. When I’m towing I use 89. Supposedly you get your full hp with 89; The computer detunes the truck when using 87 to prevent pinging.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I miss mine everyday, loved that thing I had the HO years engine. I had a stick and ended up needing knee surgery or I would still be driving that. I need an auto in my old age.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Miss the towing power, turbo whistle and fuel economy. Don't miss the high maintenance and lower reliability at least in my case.

OCBray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD HO
Are you seriously comparing a chain driven, CP4 pumped, piezo injector, European V6 diesel to a gear driven, CP3 pumped, solenoid injector, inline 6 Cummins?

This is why I usually ask when people say they have all these horror stories because 99 times out of 100 it wasn't a Cummins. Not all diesels are the same just as not all gas engines are the same. That is like someone saying all variable displacement gas engines are horrible because the last one they had was a Cadillac V8-6-4.

Apparently you did not fully read the post. I never compared the experience we had to the Cummins. I knew when you asked. I would get a flaming response. Enjoy your diesel.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Apparently you did not fully read the post. I never compared the experience we had to the Cummins. I knew when you asked. I would get a flaming response. Enjoy your diesel.

Well that is what happens when someone brings up issues they had in a VW diesel in a thread talking about the Cummins diesel as if they were all the same.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I miss the torque, the 5-speed and the 4x4 in my 2nd Gen Cummins...the truck just seemed unstoppable.

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know how the others feel, but this is not about good and bad. Both are good and are for different purposes. I see no problem with someone saying that their driving habits(such as short trips) would not be good for a diesel or that they just plain don't want a diesel. This is why I do not comment on these things when they are stated as reasons for not owning one.

I do , however, see a problem with someone stating false info in order to justify their purchase especially when they are going off of emotion and have never bothered to do the math.

Ram HD Diesel
Up charge from a 6.4L: $8,700.00
Fuel used for 50k at 15.5 mpg: 3,226 gallons x $3.25 winter fuel = $10,484.50
Fuel used for 50k at 15.5 mpg: 3,226 gallons x $3.00 summer fuel = $9,678.00
DEF usage over 100k: 129 gallons x $2.80 = $361.20
Total = $29,223.70
Deduct 75% of diesel up charge($6,500.00) at resale at 100k = $22,723.70
*Note that most get between 65-85% of the up charge back on resale so 75% is in the middle

Ram HD Gas
Fuel used for 100k at 12 mpg: 8,333 gallons x $2.75 regular unleaded = $22,915.75
-OR-
Fuel used for 100k at 12 mpg: 8,333 gallons x $2.90 super unleaded(recommended) = $24,165.70

Also, most people purchase vehicles via a loan so they cannot exactly put money that they don't have in any type of savings to gain more money AND if you did have enough money to pay for a $50k+ vehicle cash then it would still be better to pay for it with a loan that you could get for less than 4% interest and put that money into an investment. Either way, it is best to pay for it via a loan if you can get a decent rate.

Doing the math on a 4% loan(which is high IMO) on a 2500 SLT 6.4L worth $43,585 versus the same truck with a Cummins $8700 higher at $53,285 is an additional $1,050 over the course of the loan. However, if you have great credit and can get a 2% interest rate, then it is only a $516 difference over 60 months. Everyone is different here and some may still be able to get a 0% interest if they choose to go with Mopar financing. Then there are others, like me, that were able to get over $14k off MSRP so then there is that as well.

My truck does not get 12mpg.. so how is that accurate?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In my experience 12 mpg isn't far off what you should expect in mixed driving. Lower if it's all around town. But I have seen 14-16 on the highway if I behave as well. Which sadly isn't often enough.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The 6.4 is a gas monster in town, high winds and heavy footed driving (wife drives it like she stole it, I drive it like I borrowed it). I stay in mds mode from 35-60 mph for an additional 2 mpg. 2 of the last 3 tanks hand calculated within 8 tenths of a mile. The weird thing is, the higher the evic reads the closer it hand calculates. Getting under 14 mpg per evic hand calculates in the low 12's. Makes no sense as far as slope data acquisition goes.

Last edited: