Do you drive in 4WD in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Average winter day, just snowed, driving to work.. slightly slippery out... plows came but the road isn't cleared.

.. do you typically drive in 2WD or one of the 4WD options?

..Have you found that the truck slips LESS when in 4WD?

..When do you use 4WD auto vs 4WD.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm in Alaska. 4WD only when needed.

rarely on highway unless it is ******-slick out, I find lowering my speed to be a far better hazard mitigation than 4WD
sometimes at intersections, especially if there is a lot of other traffic
icy/snow-packed parking lots sometimes
deep snow/unplowed roads

Mostly use it in low speed situations where I don't want any wheel-spin or where I might get stuck if I don't.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Average winter day, just snowed, driving to work.. slightly slippery out... plows came but the road isn't cleared.

.. do you typically drive in 2WD or one of the 4WD options?

..Have you found that the truck slips LESS when in 4WD?

..When do you use 4WD auto vs 4WD.

Hardly ever put it in auto. If I do it’s precautionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
2wd unless I'm slipping or going unpaved.

Same here. If driving conditions are really extreme (snow, ice,), I might just flip it into 4WD auto.

As for 4wd lock or low..well, yea that's necessary for off-roading in the back-country.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first winter with 4x Auto, so I'm going to try it out and see if it makes a difference. With my previous truck, I only put it in 4x4 if the roads were really bad. I would stay in 2x as much as possible.

i know i have to go slow as in every vehicle, my concern is going around those sharp corners in the winter.
will the truck just keep going straight into a ditch if its icy? or would 4x4 help? questions questions o_O

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dedicated winter tires, 2 wheel drive and if it's icy or snow covered roads I go 4 auto. Truck tracks straight and sure footed. I also drive sensibly for weather.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
You don't mention if you have the limited slip rear axle in your truck or not.
With the fancier trims having the auto mode in the transfer case there is almost no difference if you are in auto or hi "lock" 4wd. The computer controls when your front axle will be engaged and until it decides that the rear is spinning a bit it will not engage the front axle output of the transfer case then if the rear has got traction it will cam a drive disk hard enough to drive the front end.
You can check this out by driving in figure 8's in a parking lot, try it in two wheel drive, then auto 4wd, then Hi locked 4wd. If you feel much difference or the truck shudders you have got one of the tighter cases, usually it will not shudder or bind.

The reason I asked about the limited slip rear is it will tend to push you straight in the corners in 2 or 4wd, what I tend to do is drive into the corner then back out of the throttle the truck will turn and I can go again.

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
my concern is going around those sharp corners in the winter.
will the truck just keep going straight into a ditch if its icy? or would 4x4 help? questions questions

Yes, 4x4 auto will lessen the chance of going straight into a side ditch on the corner or spinning out on a freeway.

^The video above kinda shows the different responses and handling in 4WD vs 2WD^

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When it comes down to driving in the snow or rain, I drive by the feel. I've driven on fresh powder only to find myself find the ice underneath. 4WD will NOT save you from sliding. If you're familiar with Central Washington, You'll understand what I mean. I see people drop it into 4WD and drive like their invincible. If visibility is bad, I'll put it into 4WD just because I feel like I have more control.

Overall: Unless there's more than 4" of snow on the ground, and it's fresh, probably not going to use it. I'm just way more cautious when I'm in the snow. Though, 4WD has helped me pull 2 State Patrol out of the ditch. So, it is useful and very handy.

Now, this is with my 2009 Dodge 1500. My 79 F-150? 4WD won't save my life for squat with 35" MTs.

On a side note; anyone annoyed by those people in White Vehicles who don't drive with their lights on, and speed when in the snow? I do... =/

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So bottom line if you have the transfer case with 4WD Auto then leave it in auto for everyday nice & bad weather driving. It will automatically switch from 2wd to 4wd as needed without you having to do it. Go to 4WD lock if the snow is getting deep.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
It is my understanding that the auto mode activates the front axle disconnect, so auto would be like driving an older unit with locking hubs with the hubs locked and the t case in 2 hi.
And the Hi lock does the same.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So bottom line if you have the transfer case with 4WD Auto then leave it in auto for everyday nice & bad weather driving. It will automatically switch from 2wd to 4wd as needed without you having to do it. Go to 4WD lock if the snow is getting deep.

Not so much. I know if I leave mine in 4auto my mpg drops 2 mpg. So even on a dry road some of the system is still turning.

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4WD doesn’t help with stopping at all and only very minimally for turning, it just helps you get going from a stop.

If you need 4WD on the highway then you are driving way too fast for the conditions.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I use 4wd when I need it, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
4wd doesn't help you stop...Most SUV drivin' soccer moms and dads don't seem to understand that.

That's why every winter we get to watch brand new Tahoe's corkscrew off the road and confused suburbanites standing on the shoulder sobbing and saying...."But, But, I have 4wd, how did this happen?"

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
4wd will pull you straight if you get a bit loose. Also more stable under acceleration when passing guys who don't drive in the snow. If it's a slippery snow covered road I'm in 4lock. Just way easier to get myself back on track if I get loose. I run back and forth across mountain passes all winter in icy conditions. So far I haven't crashed or been crashed into.I don't think I've used 4auto more than a couple times. Too slow to engage. I'm in 2wd most of the time.