Do you drive in 4WD in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have had my 2017 Sport Crew Cab since May. Did a semi-scientific study on the 2WD and 4WD AUTO use; Gas, drivability, etc. I live in south central Texas - no snow. But ..Little rain until Sept/Oct time, so dry pavement mostly. Found between the two modes one can not really tell a for sure a difference in mpg, or if there is it is maybe .1 at most. Realize AUTO gives you 4WD ONLY when it detects slippage in the rear wheels. Then the rains came. Yes, one can tell the difference when the rains first hit, sloppy, slick (from build up of oil, dirty, misc.) roads. the 4WD AUTO is great. Then going thru some standing water - to help a friends who lives in the back country, get feed and stuff to his place it was the only way to go. Only once did I shift it into 4WD high, because of high water and slippery clay type soil along the creek beds. So now I drive it all the time in 4WD AUTO. With no real gas mileage penalty it is for sure the safest mode to use! With good tires - I use BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain in the standard size - you can be safe and get most anywhere.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am confused, the 4wd auto is when it stays in 2wd until the slip is felt by the computer.

Threads are not very helpful without engine and trans descriptions.

In northern Wisconsin this past weekend we had snow and I always use 4wd auto. That’s what I paid for.

18 Sport with 5.7 and 8HP70 trans with anti spin rear

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had a 1995 aerostar van that was auto four wheel drive. Stinking thing put me in the ditch while traveling up a high mountain pass in about 2' of snow. Seems the 4x4 engaged when it sensed wheel slip but immediately would disengage when no slippage. This torque engage/disengage would put in the ditch. I prefer either 4 wheel lock or nothing at all. Maybe they have improved the systems now to keep this from happening.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Auto 4wd great during rain and starts on hills where I live. Would not want a 2wd only PU here. Had it since a 2000 PU. 4wd on constant snow or mud to avoid the 2wd hole digging if stuck.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, 4WD will NOT help you stop. Besides most vehicles now have ABS, which SUCK on slick roads!!! Increase your distances and slow down!!

Agreed. But, while it's not exactly stopping in general, for 30 years of 4WD I've found that using 4WD in low gear while going down a slippery snow covered hill holds the truck back without sliding better than using brakes. On a steep hill by my house with a stop at the bottom, I've slid even with antilock using brakes, but not so much using 4WD and low gear.

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4wd auto if there is any bare road amongst all the snow. If roads all covered and weather is active, then 4wd lock. 4wd will give you confidence, but you always have to remember the brakes are the same as every other vehicle so slow it down and don’t let the confidence turn into speed. Lots of nice 4wd trucks in the ditches learning that lesson.

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
To the OP, I have the BW44-45 transfer case, so I leave mine in 2wd until I absolutely need it. Since you have the Auto 4wd, leave it in auto and let it and the computer sort out the rest. Reason I leave my true locking one in 2wd is you can get some nasty driveline binding when taking tight turns without that wheel slip. When I consider I need it is in completely icy conditions, heavy snow fall, off-roading, pulling out a car (with wheels pointed straight).

For the discussion of 4wd helps with braking, it does (with or without ABS), but with a caveat. The transfer case must be a true locking one, not the auto system we have (the video is of a Jeep XJ with a locking transfer case). The reason why is because you're mechanically linking all 4 tires together. The rotational mass and traction from the other tires prevent the one tire from locking up. This also helps with engine braking.

In all slippery scenarios (icy, snowy, muddy), having a true locking transfer case is substantially better than a clutch type (BW 44-44) like the auto ones in our trucks. The computer doesn't really control (well it might) when it engages the front wheels, it acts more like the LSD differentials in our trucks. Once it detects wheel spin, it will engage the clutch pack and send torque to the opposite wheel/axle.

Speaking for ONLY the ones with an LSD, for our trucks (having just driven in really icy conditions) we don't have traction control (I spun my tires up to 50kph while standing still), however we DO have stability control. Having engaged it a few times, it is quite annoying at slower speeds IMO. I like to turn off all traction aids when cruising the city, however highway/freeway speeds I leave it on since I usually don't need it anyway.

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
Where I live the roads in town are usually snow packed all winter long so I use 4 wheel drive in town and sure beats spinning the tires in 2 wheel at stop signs. Best advice for winter driving is to slow down and go by feel.
Careful Driving On Winter Roads
December 20, 2017 Featured, Local News Leave a comment 149 Views

While temperatures have been a little warmer for a couple of days, colder weather is here again and the Houghton County Road Commission is reminding drivers to use caution while on the roadways.

Keweenaw motorists are all familiar with the slipping and sliding that takes place this time of year.

And the Road Commission here in Houghton County does their best to keep those roads clear.

County engineer, Kevin Harju reminds drivers to use a little extra caution during the snowy season.

Harju said, “The big thing this time of year is everyone’s got to learn how to drive in the winter again. Slow down. There’s a lot of ice in spots that takes us a while to get to.”

Each time it snows, the crews take to the roadways to plow and depending on weather conditions and temperature, those trucks will use either salt or sand to provide traction under your tires.

Harju said, “Under 20 degrees, salt becomes very ineffective. What happens is it melts the ice and the snow but then it instantly freezes back into black ice, which is even more treacherous than what you’re going in after. As soon as the temperature gets down below 20 degrees, we go to more of a primarily sand with a little salt mix. It has about 5 percent salt in it.”

Harju advises motorists to keep a safe distance from the plow trucks.

“Bear with us and give the plows some room. Unfortunately this year we did have a few accidents where people ran into our plow trucks, which is not a good situation.”

It’s reported that most accidents involving a plow truck are caused by motorists who drive too fast for winter road conditions
2-12-Roads-kk.jpg
Typical road from late December thru March in the UP of Michigan

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I put my 4WD vehicles into 4WD whenever I can as it keeps the drive units lubricated along with their seals. Same approach as turning on the AC periodically during the winter for the same reason. AUTO 4WD is ideal when available as it is faster than you switching out of 4WD when you hit a hard road surface and so maintains better steering control.

With a pickup the lack of weight over the drive wheels makes them squirrelly on any soft surface as compare to a front wheel drive vehicle. 4WD is important to maximize control with the front wheels pulling instead of only having the rear wheels pushing the vehicle.

Important to appreciate that 4Wd is of no benefit with ice and that includes snow over ice.

In looking for a new pickup I was surprised that with the Chevy Trail Boss it comes with mud tires and no option for all terrain. Mud tires are good for mud but terrible for anything else, especially snow. Every new vehicle I buy I end up replacing the tires on it. With my 2018 SUV it came with "all-season" tires which are not terribly good off the road or on slush and AWD is not really going to help much if at all.

My brother lives where the road crews salt the roads and he have not bothered to wash the truck, top and bottom, regularly. Now he is having to replace the truck as the body is so badly rusted.

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the transfer case in these trucks isn't meant to use in 4wd drive all the time.

they don't have positrac in front diff either, so turning n 4wd on dry pavement sucks.

just use the 4wd when u need it not just because its winter. i have a hemifever tune n mine which has some extra pedal added to tune. i use 4wd n s. florida n the rain or on wet roads. if i didn't id be slipping all over

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I rarely throw it in 4WD living in Minnesota. I just throw 2-3 50 lb bags of sand in the back end and it gives me plenty of traction. 4WD is only used on glare ice for me.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm of the opinion to leave it in 4wd auto if you have that 24/7. It will only engage if needed. I've seen no difference in mpg with or without and it's not adding any wear to the system as the transfer case output shaft & front diff are constantly spinning so what are you saving if you try to keep it in 2wd. If it snows heavy put it in 4wd lock.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
In your scenario, if there's a covering of snow on the roads after the plow scraped it down, my 2500 is in 4x4. That's why I bought a 4x4. When I had the 1500 I would put it in "AUTO" 4x4 and let the computer figure it out.. Where I live, if you're not climbing a hill, you're going down one.

As stated prior, at stops I will engage the 4x4 to start out with control then kick it off as the situation dictates.

For sure, you don't want to be doing any tight turns on dry blacktop. That's pretty hard on the front drive line.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm always in 2WD unless I need to use the right lane at a traffic light to pass people who don't know how to drive in the snow, for this I use 4WD Auto to get the jump on them.
:anitoof::Big Laugh::evillol:

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On/Off road style tires are always a hard rubber, to resist rocks and punctures. Winter tires are a very soft compound, which is why you take them off in warmer months because they wear fast. Manufacturers say once temps are consistently below 7 degrees (44), throw your winter tires on to have better handling. in winter, A good winter tire will ALWAYS outperform an off road tire on roads/highways. On the ice off road tires just slide like a hockey puck, the winter tire will grip, that's what it's designed for. All tires designed for each category it is designed for will always excel over tires not. You wouldn't throw all season tires on your Corvette, you'd throw max performance summer tires so you could take advantage of the car. Winter tires are better than any other tire in the winter months. Throw a set on a 4X4 and you have a sure footed ride all winter.

When you hit ice, tread compound goes right out the window. Blizzak, the best snow tire or nitto trail grappler. I have ran both. Just let off the gas, dont touch the brake, and try to steer slowly.

Krein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In your scenario, if there's a covering of snow on the roads after the plow scraped it down, my 2500 is in 4x4. That's why I bought a 4x4. When I had the 1500 I would put it in "AUTO" 4x4 and let the computer figure it out.. Where I live, if you're not climbing a hill, you're going down one.

As stated prior, at stops I will engage the 4x4 to start out with control then kick it off as the situation dictates.

For sure, you don't want to be doing any tight turns on dry blacktop. That's pretty hard on the front drive line.

+1 on what you said, there is no way anyone is driving in 2WD with all the back counrty hill roads where i live. It all depends on where you live and outside conditions.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on what you said, there is no way anyone is driving in 2WD with all the back counrty hill roads where i live. It all depends on where you live and outside conditions.

I agree. I have worked in buffalo new york and they get pounded with snow. There were guys from down south that 2 wheel drive trucks and couldnt even make it to work. They had to have guys that have 4 wheel drive to pick them up and go to work.
Two wheel drive is useless in heay snow.

twbuild

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always 2 WD unless stuck. 800# snow plow on the front and 800# over the rear axle allows me to keep the tires stuck to the pavement even in 9 inches on snow while plowing in 2WD