Do you drive in 4WD in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know i have to go slow as in every vehicle, my concern is going around those sharp corners in the winter.
will the truck just keep going straight into a ditch if its icy? or would 4x4 help? questions questions o_O
If you are on icy roads and get out of control. Don't hit the brakes just hang on for the ride.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jim, I am going to disagree that 4wd helps you stop on snow and ice. 40 years ago we driving on different tires, usually studded snows in the rear as well as drum brakes. If I recall correctly, my fathers truck didn't have power brakes. Imho, you are over estimating 4wd and under estimating the skills we aquired in our younger days.

I agree, 4WD will NOT help you stop. Besides most vehicles now have ABS, which SUCK on slick roads!!! Increase your distances and slow down!!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
CB let me say that I don't wish to be disrespectful to anyone any time, including you. However.
Without ABS, 4 wheel drive helps keep the front wheels from locking up. It just does. You don't have to believe it.
Once the tires lock up all bets are off. You have no control. Locked up tires are the same no matter 4WD or 2.
I have been driving 4WD trucks through Adirondack winters for many years.
Maybe only old guys know this?
This guy in the video tries it all different ways. And if I am not mistaken (I may be), the best braking was achieved in 4WD with ABS off. Which I would have predicted.
https://carbuzz.com/news/did-you-know-4wd-can-also-help-you-stop-better-in-the-snow
Probably there are video's showing just the opposite, but I'm trying to work here, and I will stop searching with the one that agrees with me! Naturally...
In the video he does lock up the brakes often. I can only think that he just doesn't know any better because that is NOT the way to stop. I leave clutch out and easy on the brakes.
FYI this will be my first winter with an automatic.

I was slightly surprised by the outcome, but that said, one run under each condition is hardly solid evidence. The distance differences would be a matter of split seconds at the braking gates, slightly different ice conditions, tire temps, hell anything. You'd need multiple runs (hundreds) to average out reaction times and other anomalous conditions.

I will agree that 4WD can help slowing under engine braking conditions but can't for the life of me see how it can help with the ABS systems.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know i have to go slow as in every vehicle, my concern is going around those sharp corners in the winter.
will the truck just keep going straight into a ditch if its icy? or would 4x4 help? questions questions o_O

Yep, just hold on for the ride and dont touch your brakes.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dedicated winter tires, 2 wheel drive and if it's icy or snow covered roads I go 4 auto. Truck tracks straight and sure footed. I also drive sensibly for weather.

Who the heck buys seperate winter and summer tires on a 4x4 truck???
If you live where you get snow, you buy something more aggressive than a bfg all terrain, and run it year round.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you live where you get snow, you buy something more aggressive than a bfg all terrain, and run it year round.

Real winter tires have a very compound. So it is not only about how aggressive they look. For temperatures above 15C they would not last long.

BTW if you need it you can get winter tires with studs.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

On/Off road style tires are always a hard rubber, to resist rocks and punctures. Winter tires are a very soft compound, which is why you take them off in warmer months because they wear fast. Manufacturers say once temps are consistently below 7 degrees (44), throw your winter tires on to have better handling. in winter, A good winter tire will ALWAYS outperform an off road tire on roads/highways. On the ice off road tires just slide like a hockey puck, the winter tire will grip, that's what it's designed for. All tires designed for each category it is designed for will always excel over tires not. You wouldn't throw all season tires on your Corvette, you'd throw max performance summer tires so you could take advantage of the car. Winter tires are better than any other tire in the winter months. Throw a set on a 4X4 and you have a sure footed ride all winter.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know what model your truck is but, my 1500 Big Horn with the auto mode avilible in the transfer case selection does NOT give me any engine braking on slick packed snow, even in low loc and toggled down into first gear the rear tires will slip and slide and the front has almost no hold back. That is one of many why I don't like my transfer case, I like the truck, really like the little engine, and the transfer case is good for most uses in the summer,
but tome it is terrible in the winter.
Well I guess I am gonna find out soon enough. My first winter is on the way but down here in CT you never know how much snow you will see. Sometime tons and sometimes none.
I have an express without the auto function. My guess is "auto" may allow the front wheels to lock before the rear. If that's so then "lock" should be a lot better.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will agree that 4WD can help slowing under engine braking conditions but can't for the life of me see how it can help with the ABS systems.
Oh thank God finally someone agrees.
The test driver seemed like he just stomped the brake pedal. In that case ABS should help. If he modulated the pedal properly he could have done better I believe. But whatever.
Here watch this. This is EXACTLY what I am saying and what I learned with my 76 Blazer, my first 4WD truck. No automatic anything.
Take away all the automatic ********, and 4WD helps you stop. Add in all the modern nanny features and I don't know. I don't care. It doesn't matter. Keep your head and go slow. People will crash all around you. The insurance companies and mainstream publications will NEVER tell you 4 wheel drive helps you stop. Then because we are stupid children we will go faster and cost (insurance companies) them more money. Everyone says GO SLOW. And so do I.
Once recently on an icy highway a big SUV guy was passing me in the left. I was riding the center lane and driving right on the crown of the road. He hit the guard rail SO close to me, my truck shook and I thought he hit us. Fenders and stuff flying everywhere. There must have been 30 vehicles off the road in that 40 mile stretch. People can be incredibly stupid.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage

Without dedicated studded snows a person can not safely traverse my driveway and they grip so much better on snow packed, icy slick roads. Numerous times every winter I will be coming home up a town road and will find people with their all-season tires stuck in the middle of the hill and blocking most of the road. I can pull up offer assistance and then restart going up the hill where they spun out.
All my vehicles have studded snows mounted on spare rims and if applicable tpms sensors installed.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Without dedicated studded snows a person can not safely traverse my driveway and they grip so much better on snow packed, icy slick roads. Numerous times every winter I will be coming home up a town road and will find people with their all-season tires stuck in the middle of the hill and blocking most of the road. I can pull up offer assistance and then restart going up the hill where they spun out.
All my vehicles have studded snows mounted on spare rims and if applicable tpms sensors installed.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh thank God finally someone agrees.
The test driver seemed like he just stomped the brake pedal. In that case ABS should help. If he modulated the pedal properly he could have done better I believe. But whatever.
Here watch this. This is EXACTLY what I am saying and what I learned with my 76 Blazer, my first 4WD truck. No automatic anything.
Take away all the automatic ********, and 4WD helps you stop. Add in all the modern nanny features and I don't know. I don't care. It doesn't matter. Keep your head and go slow. People will crash all around you. The insurance companies and mainstream publications will NEVER tell you 4 wheel drive helps you stop. Then because we are stupid children we will go faster and cost (insurance companies) them more money. Everyone says GO SLOW. And so do I.
Once recently on an icy highway a big SUV guy was passing me in the left. I was riding the center lane and driving right on the crown of the road. He hit the guard rail SO close to me, my truck shook and I thought he hit us. Fenders and stuff flying everywhere. There must have been 30 vehicles off the road in that 40 mile stretch. People can be incredibly stupid.

Good video demonstrating the benefit of being in a true 4wd while braking. Unfortunately with RAM and the higher trim models the computer has taken over engaging and disengaging the transfer case so that the benefits are taken away and replaced with highway boulevard 4wd make believes.

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good video demonstrating the benefit of being in a true 4wd while braking. Unfortunately with RAM and the higher trim models the computer has taken over engaging and disengaging the transfer case so that the benefits are taken away and replaced with highway boulevard 4wd make believes.
I have only 4WD hi and low lock. I am hoping lock means lock. Again, we will see soon enough.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner

I hear ya brother! 20+ years in Alaska and only once did I put studded tires on, and that was only because I bought a truck and they came with a set, so I figured what the hell. At the end of the day (or winter season anyway...) as far as I'm concerned they were worse than just leaving my year round tires on the truck be them an A/T or M/T.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in the snow belt of Ontario with lots of open farmland, so wind swept roads are the norm during winter. When conditions call for it I'll switch to auto 4x4 as it seems to do the trick. If I'm out before the plows (which is often in the morning) I'll go to 4x4 lock to play it safe. I've had the auto option on my last 2 trucks (Ram and Seirra) and both have worked well for me.

I agree a good set of A/T rubber is a benefit in these parts. I run them yr round and never had an issue in the snow. Just have to drive for the conditions and leave some stopping space between vehicles.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I live in the Buffalo NY area and will use my basic on/off 4x4 in 4x4 mode if the roads are completely snow/ice covered. I've done this for 30yrs. Never once have I had a drivetrain related problem from doing this. Isn't the ability to do so part of why we buy 4x4 trucks? Use it!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

Only on the TCs with auto ones like mine stay in 4wd. :)

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I use 4 auto if it is slick in spots or pecautionary if the roads are wet and expected to freeze. Fwiw i do notice a difference between 4 auto and 4 lock