DYI Supercharger Installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should i? or should i get it done at a shop.....bare in mind that i am from Australia so most shops here havent worked on Hemis

Also, Is it easier to install a procharger or roots style charger yourself?

Let me know your experiences and suggestions to do or not to do.... i just paid 9k for a stage 2 cam and it honestly made bugger all difference, so i am now looking at superchargers but need to do it cheaply as apparently i've wasted too much money already according to the wife...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What cam did you do? It barely made a difference? Did you do a higher stall torque converter and tube with it? What axle gears do you have

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have 3.92 gears, stock converter, 1-7/8 long tube headers....not sure on the cam specs...the guy here in Australia who is best at working with hemis is a bit secretive....it made 390rwhp on a hub dyno which i believe is a bit optimstic, i didnt get a baseline run...they just dont do them apparently which annoys me.....i am estimating a gain of 50-70rwhp based off other builds and dyno sheets he gave me without the cam etc.....but its not anywhere near the power i was hoping for.....shaved about 1/2-1 second off my 0-60....

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on what he told me before i did the cam, he said they typically get 315-320rwhp stock on his dyno.... i guess i just didnt realise that 70rwhp gain isnt much on such a heavy vehicle....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i have 3.92 gears, stock converter, 1-7/8 long tube headers....not sure on the cam specs...the guy here in Australia who is best at working with hemis is a bit secretive....it made 390rwhp on a hub dyno which i believe is a bit optimstic, i didnt get a baseline run...they just dont do them apparently which annoys me.....i am estimating a gain of 50-70rwhp based off other builds and dyno sheets he gave me without the cam etc.....but its not anywhere near the power i was hoping for.....shaved about 1/2-1 second off my 0-60....
He's bull****ting you. There isn't a cam that'll give you a 70 horse gain that's daily drivable with-out a big convertor,especially rear wheel horses.You need ported heads/intake / higher compression,or lots of rpm to see a 70 horse rear wheel gain from a cam. Do you have a big enough budget to put pistons and rods in the motor,if you can't swing building the bottem end of a 5.7,leave the blower alone till you can afford to build the engine,especially if you like to drive it hard and spin tires,which it sounds like you do.If you're still stuck on boosting it,at least pull the pistons out and open up the ring gaps,it'll take boost better with more ring gap.Way to many guys think a cam will turn their trucks into tire spinning monsters,takes more then just a cam to do that,as the factory cam isn't all that bad as far as performance goes.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 35s and 1-3/4 long tube headers, 6.4 intake manifold, 8 speed, 3.92 gears. No cam. My truck definitely feels quick. A big cam without the proper torque converter will feel like a dog off the line because you aren't hitting the power band. I would suggest looking at a torque converter and possibly a 6.4 manifold unless you are set on boost.

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i was really hoping for some decent power....so thought screw it, go blower......going built bottom end in Australia will cost a lot....i got quotes to go 392 stroker and came back at USD20k....!!!!!.....no one in Australia works on HEMIs so they just rip you blind.......from what I can work out it was a 25% gain on a optimistic dyno....so probably would depend what dyno you are on....

OP
OP
B

BrendansRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does a hi-stall converter honestly make that much of a difference? my truck feels like its always in too low RPM and only pulls decent above 4000rpm....also, i dont want to make the mileage even worse....93octane in Australia costs the equivalent of USD5-6 per gallon....and at 11mpg i get in city driving, its not very good at all :D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does a hi-stall converter honestly make that much of a difference? my truck feels like its always in too low RPM and only pulls decent above 4000rpm....also, i dont want to make the mileage even worse....93octane in Australia costs the equivalent of USD5-6 per gallon....and at 11mpg i get in city driving, its not very good at all :D
If you have nothing below 4,000,then you'd probably want a 4,000 stall convertor. Want are the cam specs on your cam? A good tuner can make a big convertor semi-livable,as you can tune the convertor to some extent. Join High Performance Rams and Tuned Rams on facebook,and start asking questions,the guys running big cams and big convertors are over there