ECO light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Eco light is an indication that you are driving in an efficient manner, it is not an indication that the truck is operating in MDS mode. Saying that, MDS will only be active in ECO mode when certain conditions are met.

The PCM will activate the 4-cylinder mode when the following enabling conditions are met:

Low engine load

1200 to 3000 rpm

Vehicle speed between 12 mph and 90 mph

Battery voltage from 9 volts to 15 volts

Oil pressure from 15 psi to 147 psi

Oil temperature greater than 120 F

Engine coolant temperature from 158 to 248 F

Ambient temperature from 14 F to 248 F

No throttle position sensor or MDS faults

The PCM deactivates solenoids one cylinder at a time in the firing order. If the system is "on" for long periods of time, such as a long flat road with no stopping, the system will return to the 8-cylinder mode approximately every six minutes to maintain engine temperature. The PCM will also unlock the torque converter before the transition, to minimize the effect on driveability.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Eco light is an indication that you are driving in an efficient manner, it is not an indication that the truck is operating in MDS mode. Saying that, MDS will only be active in ECO mode when certain conditions are met.

The PCM will activate the 4-cylinder mode when the following enabling conditions are met:

Low engine load

1200 to 3000 rpm

The PCM deactivates solenoids one cylinder at a time in the firing order. If the system is "on" for long periods of time, such as a long flat road with no stopping, the system will return to the 8-cylinder mode approximately every six minutes to maintain engine temperature. The PCM will also unlock the torque converter before the transition, to minimize the effect on driveability.
So basically as I'd guessed, but now we have a complete list of parameters. THANKS!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Low engine load

1200 to 3000 rpm

This is great thanks!!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two surprises here for me are the MDS disengaging every 6 minutes for cooling and unlocking the torque converter when it comes on and off. I didn't know about those features. Thanks.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My coolant runs the same temp as my oil around 120 and mds still kicks in.. also the ambiant temperature this can't be right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's definitely not right. My coolant runs around 200 and oil a little hotter.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
that's definitely not right. My coolant runs around 200 and oil a little hotter.

Yeah your right.. looking at those numbers thew me off im trying to remember my EVIC lol

It runs around 195.. now I'm thinking straight..

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just realized that ambient temperature of 248. Most likely a typo, carry down from the engine coolant temperature.

I'm pretty sure they don't do vehicle testing ant that high a temperature.

jleach76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's their response...

"Spoke with John, service manager at the dealership about the "ECO BUTTON". John stated that he spoke with the head tech about the concern and was told that the model of vehicle you had does not come with "Fuel Saver Display in Cluster". But if you had it before and was able to you it before the update was on your vehicle to bring it back and they will try the update again to see if it brings the Eco Button back. I was also informed that you can not go backward and try to reinstate was was there prior to the computer update. Please give me a call at 800-763-8422 ext 66199 and we can discuss the issue. Thank you for working with Ram Customer Care Pat Customer Care Manager"

Just did the latest update to my radio and it put back the ECO display option back. I was so glad cause I had an appt. this Wednesday cause when they replaces my EVIC I did not have the Eco light anymore. Hope this helps all.

OP
OP
Kingcobra423

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Are we absolutely certain of this? I've searched high and low looking for what it really means, and have yet to find it's real function documented anywhere.

Or is it this?

I disabled the MDS on my '10 with a Superchips Flashpaq and the ECO light still came on. The ECO light isn't necessarily a tell tale sign that the MDS is engaged, it's more of an indication that you're driving efficiently.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
That's perfect! I'm going to take another look at my radio settings. What transmission do you have? The dealer told me the "ECO" mode/light isn't an option when you have the 8 speed transmission and rotary shifter....

I have the ECO light option on my 2014 i just bought with the 8-spd and that damn rotary shifter...

i have the uconnect 5.0

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish there actually was an indicator for the MDS. It would be nice to know. The MDS in my '07 was much more noticeable. Chrysler has obviously refined it a great deal as I hardly ever notice the MDS in my '14.

I was wondering what the ECO light signified, the manual says nothing about it. So now I know, it just means you are driving gently.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Some folks on here posted some great info about the Eco light in the forum. Long story short it has to do with driving conditions while MDS is speed and rpm based. Some say they can hear it but I can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish there actually was an indicator for the MDS. It would be nice to know. The MDS in my '07 was much more noticeable. Chrysler has obviously refined it a great deal as I hardly ever notice the MDS in my '14.

I was wondering what the ECO light signified, the manual says nothing about it. So now I know, it just means you are driving gently.

Put an aftermarket exhaust on and you'll hear it. Lol. I can't stand it when it goes into MDS with my exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some folks on here posted some great info about the Eco light in the forum. Long story short it has to do with driving conditions while MDS is speed and rpm based. Some say they can hear it but I can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my eco light really makes no sense, seems kinda random. as for MDS i can only hear/feel it kick in every so often but usually it's silent. an indicator would really be nice