ECO light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbillyjimbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. The eco light comes on sometimes if the engine is not under much load. When accelerating the light never comes on, when driving at a constant speed it sometimes comes on, when decelerating it always comes on.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. The eco light comes on sometimes if the engine is not under much load. When accelerating the light never comes on, when driving at a constant speed it sometimes comes on, when decelerating it always comes on.

Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

OP
OP
Kingcobra423

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Can't wait to hear what they have to say...

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Here's their response...

"Spoke with John, service manager at the dealership about the "ECO BUTTON". John stated that he spoke with the head tech about the concern and was told that the model of vehicle you had does not come with "Fuel Saver Display in Cluster". But if you had it before and was able to you it before the update was on your vehicle to bring it back and they will try the update again to see if it brings the Eco Button back. I was also informed that you can not go backward and try to reinstate was was there prior to the computer update. Please give me a call at 800-763-8422 ext 66199 and we can discuss the issue. Thank you for working with Ram Customer Care Pat Customer Care Manager"

OP
OP
Kingcobra423

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
So I just got off the phone with Uconnect. Basically even if I found and earlier firmware version the system won't allow me install it. Apparently you can't go backwards or uninstall, you can only upgrade. This is total b***t because this isn't a $16k Fiat, it's a f***g $50k Ram! WTF!

This totally sucks for me because I can't turn my ECO light on. But it sucks for all you guys who turned the light on before you did the update, because now you can't turn it off!

Their response to me was "Well if enough people call about the same issue, hopefully they'll include it in their next update".

Nice going Uconnect & Ram! Maybe you guys can get together with Obama and launch a "Uconnect healthcare website" where you promise everything but absolutely nothing works!!!

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
question does it really matter. Your driving a fuel hog ram and not a 4 banger car. What would worry me more is someone wanting so much to be paying attention to it and not driving. Mine is selected to display but I don't watch it. When I do drive light footed(not often) I already know i'm driving what Dodge calls ECO mode.

More I read on the 2013 and up models that the ECO light is the least of your worries on truck issues.

Its my opinion take it how you want i guess.

OP
OP
Kingcobra423

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
question does it really matter. Your driving a fuel hog ram and not a 4 banger car. What would worry me more is someone wanting so much to be paying attention to it and not driving. Mine is selected to display but I don't watch it. When I do drive light footed(not often) I already know i'm driving what Dodge calls ECO mode.

More I read on the 2013 and up models that the ECO light is the least of your worries on truck issues.

Its my opinion take it how you want i guess.

No you're right, in the whole scheme of things a little green light isn't a huge issue. But when you pay $50k for a vehicle, you expect everything to work like it should. It also makes you wonder what else isn't working like it should. And the more I read some of the posts here on this forum, I'm beginning to think I bought a $50k rolling, rattling box of s**t with nothing more than a HEMI badge on the side!

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, it's the principle of the thing. UConnect is garbage, I'm convinced they have no idea what they're doing with it. I don't see how they can charge anyone for this, it's a huge disappointment when compared to what say Ford has with Sync.

However, I wouldn't let posts discourage you. You'll find similar posts in just about any vehicle forum. One reason is there's not much reason to post when everything is going fine.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At this point it would be more of a principle thing with me. There was an option for something and now its been taken away. Its probably an oversite on their part and they just don't want to admit it. I realize this isnt a driveability issue or a major defect or anything, but come on Chrysler own up to the fact you missed something and just correct it with another update. And its total BS that they claimed you don't have that option. If you have the 7" gauge cluster screen and Uconnect 8.4a/an, you have the Eco light.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

OP
OP
Kingcobra423

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Well thanks to jsequino trying to fix an issue with his heated seat & steering wheel, he found out a way to turn the ECO light on/off. You have re-install the update, then after the update is installed but before you shut the truck off, you have to go into the display settings and turn the ECO light either on or off. Once you shut the truck off after doing the update the option to turn it on/off is no longer there. Thank you jsequino!:happy160:

Duke1942

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 RAM HEMI 5.7 and I've noticed when my ECO light comes on, I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Is this normal?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 RAM HEMI 5.7 and I've noticed when my ECO light comes on, I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Is this normal?

No I can't say I've had that problem. Thats very strange because from what I understand its just an indicator that shows when the computer thinks your are driving economically...

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I thought. Soon as the ECO light goes off..vibration stops.

Must be a coincidence because the eco light does nothing at all except turn on or off. It doesn't indicate anything except that your foot isn't pressing the peddle down.

OP
OP
Kingcobra423

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT

Often times when your ECO light is on, the MDS (Multiple-Displacement System) is activated. It deactivates 4 of the V8's 8 cylinders when the throttle is closed or at steady speeds to conserve fuel. A slight vibration is normal and the engine almost sounds like a Boxer Engine when the MDS engages. You may also feel a slight surge when the MDS kicks off and all 8 cylinders fire up. Hope this helps!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Often times when your ECO light is on, the MDS (Multiple-Displacement System) is activated. It deactivates 4 of the V8's 8 cylinders when the throttle is closed or at steady speeds to conserve fuel. A slight vibration is normal and the engine almost sounds like a Boxer Engine when the MDS engages. You may also feel a slight surge when the MDS kicks off and all 8 cylinders fire up. Hope this helps!

I didn't even think of this, but If you're not used to MDS, it can feel like something is wrong. I brought my truck back to the dealer when I first got it thinking something was wrong because Ram advertises MDS as being a "seemless activation/deactivation" .

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also keep in mind that this {ECO light} does not indicate when the truck is in MDS. It simply indicates when the computer deems you are driving "economically".
Are we absolutely certain of this? I've searched high and low looking for what it really means, and have yet to find it's real function documented anywhere.

Or is it this?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are we absolutely certain of this? I've searched high and low looking for what it really means, and have yet to find it's real function documented anywhere.

Well I do know for sure that at least in my truck, the Eco light can be on when its not in MDS.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I do know for sure that at least in my truck, the Eco light can be on when its not in MDS.
Maybe it indicates a pre-MDS condition. As in you're driving economically, and MDS will kick on if it can.:shrug:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it indicates a pre-MDS condition. As in you're driving economically, and MDS will kick on if it can.:shrug:

This is a definite possibility. I don't recall ever seeing it go into MDS while the Eco light was off...

Sent from my Galaxy S4