Engine bogs on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rheroux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013Ram 1500 with a 5.7. The engine feels like it’s bogging during hard acceleration and speeds up when letting off the throttle any ideas what would cause this?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Do you have a factory Service manual? Book style or they are available on disc. Make sure the throttle body is Cleaned. If you do not know how to do this - STOP- and watch a few videos about it - You will learn not only WHAT TO DO- BUT WHY YOU ARE DOING IT. Once done road test. Still got same problem Get a quality fuel pressure guage. Attain the PROPER specs. ( see your SERVICE MANUAL) and test it. Improper fuel pressure is a reduced amount of fuel ( like a bad accel. pump in a carb). It might also be dirty injectors and? Your Service manual will have a sequence to follow. Cleaning throttle bodys and injectors are basic thing to try, and should become part of your "normal Maintenence. More info here would also help. "Bogging from hard acceleration" ? only from a dead stop?, Only from low speeds (20-30 mph not at upper speeds50-60? All the time? more so or worse at cooler air temps. Cooler engine temps. ETC. Hard accel. ? Healthy stab of the throttle, foot to the floor.
Help the people here help you.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on the truck? Bad spark plugs could cause that, bad fuel, bad coil, dirty throttle usually causes a bad idle but there’s a possibility that if it’s messing with the operation of the throttle blade that it could cause issues with mid to upper throttle ranges but doubtful.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is this something that just started happening? Have you owned the truck for a while? May need some TLC, as @crazykid1994 mentioned. I would add fresh air filter to that too.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
150k miles.
When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? The copper plugs are recommended replace every 30,000 miles. The iridium plugs are recommended replace at 100,000 miles. The coil failing would throw a check engine light for misfire.

OP
OP
R

Rheroux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had the truck for about 3 months. Its done it since I bought it. I don’t know the maintenance history so I guess I’ll start with basic stuff and go from there