Engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got gas, yesterday, on my way to Walmart. As soon as I parked in the walmart parking lot. The truck start sputtering and quit. I tried starting the truck this morning, it sounded like it was having trouble getting fuel. it finally started be it was sputtering and idling real rough. I checked the fuel pump, checked to see if bad gas was the case. Neither was the issue. Here are 2 youtube videos Starting issues

rough idling and sputtering

Any ideas would help

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Moisture in gas? Call the gas station and ask if they had issues. If the fuel is in phase separation it will mess you up. Because when you move the fuel mixes violently you may feel it less, but when the fuel settles only ethanol and water in pickup gas sits on top.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know what you are saying and if it was straight gas I agree 100%, but if phase separation has happened I dont think it will help. If .5 of the solution is water in e10, then the alcohol already separated from the gas and mixed with the water. I am not sure you can fix it, in this xase may have to drain the entire tank.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the gas station sold you some water. They may be on the hook for that.

Runs some fuel out of the fuel line and into a glass jar. Let it sit and see if the gas / water separates. You'll have your answer.
Jumping the gun before that is a waste.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got gas, yesterday, on my way to Walmart. As soon as I parked in the walmart parking lot. The truck start sputtering and quit. I tried starting the truck this morning, it sounded like it was having trouble getting fuel. it finally started be it was sputtering and idling real rough. I checked the fuel pump, checked to see if bad gas was the case. Neither was the issue. Here are 2 youtube videos Starting issues

rough idling and sputtering

Any ideas would help
If you go and fill up with gas, park, and the truck is f-ubar as far as engine running, you got bad fuel, I would say that 100%. Whether you can cheat and try an additive or have to drain fuel, that is another question. You may have to contact that gas station, make a complaint, get it done and see if proven and than see if that gas station will make it good or will you have to do a Civil Suit. Really depends if Gas Station is a Top Tier place or Mom and Pop also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added some iso-heet to my tank, as still does the same thing. Now, I put the key fob in and turn it to start the engine, doesn't do anything. The battery is fully charged

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Phase separation man it concentrated the water you had in the tank and sent it into combustion chamber and now you hydrolocked. Even trying to start it at this point is malpractice, water can ruin an engine and we don't know it is fatal yet.

Did you call the gas station?

OP
OP
A

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, they denied the gas was bad.

OP
OP
A

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ignition turns over once then it quits.

Phase separation man it concentrated the water you had in the tank and sent it into combustion chamber and now you hydrolocked. Even trying to start it at this point is malpractice, water can ruin an engine and we don't know it is fatal yet.

Did you call the gas station?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, jumping to "phase separation" may be premature until the rest of the picture is laid out here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If there is moisture in the engine and it was ethanol blend, you can safely bet it was phase separation. The engine would run if the amount of moisture was less then .5%. If you can take some of the fuel line off anywhere from tank to engine safely and drain, if it was phase separation it would be easy to tell it would have very little gas if any.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there is moisture in the engine and it was ethanol blend, you can safely bet it was phase separation. The engine would run if the amount of moisture was less then .5%.
That statement doesn't make sense. "If there is moisture in the engine and it was ethanol blend, you can safely bet it was phase separation." Aside from that, the issue isn't fully illustrated. Yes, bad fuel can cause various issues, but jumping to phase separation is purely guessing base on what's been provided thus far.

OP
OP
A

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is rotation speed like when it's trying to turn over?
I did siphon some gas out of the tank yesterday into a jar, there was no water in it whatsoever. So I have no idea.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go and fill up with gas, park, and the truck is f-ubar as far as engine running, you got bad fuel, I would say that 100%. Whether you can cheat and try an additive or have to drain fuel, that is another question. You may have to contact that gas station, make a complaint, get it done and see if proven and than see if that gas station will make it good or will you have to do a Civil Suit. Really depends if Gas Station is a Top Tier place or Mom and Pop also.
"Really depends if Gas Station is a Top Tier place or Mom and Pop also." - No, not REALLY. "Top Tier" and Mom/Pop has very little to do with the quality of the base product being dispensed. The way this should be handled if bad fuel is truly suspected is verify, in fact, that bad fuel was obtained. Pull a sample from the vehicle and get a visual to see if there is indeed water/fuel separation occurring. If that, in fact is what is taking place, then pursue the point of purchase. Fuel retailers are required to keep record of inventory (that includes water in UST, should it exist), record of periodic and annual tank testing and the results of. The overwhelming majority of modern retail locations in the U.S. use ATG (automated tank gauging) equipment. These ATGs, in normal operational condition, will report the presence of water in the fuel tank (UST). If a push is made, those records can be reviewed (e.g. did water in fact exist in the tank during/before said fueling of truck). If you did truly receive bad fuel, you won't be the only one. There are also a number of variables in the "I got bad fuel" discussion. What was the level of the fuel in the UST at the time of delivery to the vehicle? Did the STP (submerged turbine pump) reside at a level above the reported water in the UST at this time? Was fuel being actively delivered to the UST by a transport during the truck's refueling? I can continue to list more variables, but the primary question isn't answered. DO we have bad fuel, pulled from the truck? For those wondering, I'm not just talking out the side of my head. This is the industry in which I worked for many years from many angles.

Last edited:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did siphon some gas out of the tank yesterday into a jar, there was no water in it whatsoever. So I have no idea.
Looks like we posted replies about the same time :) If the sample was pulled from anywhere other than the dead bottom of the tank, your review of the product will be irrelevant, as water and phase separation will settle to the bottom (being heavier). Your fuel pump should be pulling from this general area as well, so it's plausible that if indeed contamination/water did exist, it may have made it towards the engine. The real sampling should be from the fuel rail or anywhere post-tank as delivered by pumping unit.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
from the bottom of the tank? even front tires on ramps?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500