Engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That statement doesn't make sense. "If there is moisture in the engine and it was ethanol blend, you can safely bet it was phase separation." Aside from that, the issue isn't fully illustrated. Yes, bad fuel can cause various issues, but jumping to phase separation is purely guessing base on what's been provided thus far.
If the gas was a ethanol blended gas as most gas is and the water is more then .5%, then it is in phase separation and all the fluid at the fuel pump will be water/ethanol. It just depends on how much water but once settled the engine aint gonna start.

OP
OP
A

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
front tires weren't on ramps, and siphoned from the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
A

alucke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could it possibly be the spark plugs causing the issues? My 2016 ram 2500 does have 164+k miles on it.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could it possibly be the spark plugs causing the issues? My 2016 ram 2500 does have 164+k miles on it.
Doesn't seem like a likely culprit as it was a pretty sudden onset of the issue. Plugs don't typically go from performing "as normal" to that in short order.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where does this issue sit currently? Key in ignition, turn to run, gauges "sweep" as normal? Turn to "Start" position, and engine rotates, but doesn't fire or fires poorly/idles poorly and dies? If it fires and poorly idles, does it respond to throttle input? Or if it doesn't fire, tried WOT (wide open throttle) during cranking to enable "flood mode" response from engine control? Any change to cranking with that?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Really depends if Gas Station is a Top Tier place or Mom and Pop also." - No, not REALLY. "Top Tier" and Mom/Pop has very little to do with the quality of the base product being dispensed. The way this should be handled if bad fuel is truly suspected is verify, in fact, that bad fuel was obtained. Pull a sample from the vehicle and get a visual to see if there is indeed water/fuel separation occurring. If that, in fact is what is taking place, then pursue the point of purchase. Fuel retailers are required to keep record of inventory (that includes water in UST, should it exist), record of periodic and annual tank testing and the results of. The overwhelming majority of modern retail locations in the U.S. use ATG (automated tank gauging) equipment. These ATGs, in normal operational condition, will report the presence of water in the fuel tank (UST). If a push is made, those records can be reviewed (e.g. did water in fact exist in the tank during/before said fueling of truck). If you did truly receive bad fuel, you won't be the only one. There are also a number of variables in the "I got bad fuel" discussion. What was the level of the fuel in the UST at the time of delivery to the vehicle? Did the STP (submerged turbine pump) reside at a level above the reported water in the UST at this time? Was fuel being actively delivered to the UST by a transport during the truck's refueling? I can continue to list more variables, but the primary question isn't answered. DO we have bad fuel, pulled from the truck? For those wondering, I'm not just talking out the side of my head. This is the industry in which I worked for many years from many angles.
What I mean w/o saying, which is why I did Top ref Mom and Pop is U just never know what people, organization, company will be amenable to hearing what you have to say and maybe willing to assist. When I ran a gas station way back when, we "sticked" the tanks twice a shift and after delivery and if their was evidence of "water" above a level, that tank was shut down. This was back in the 70's, before all the computerized stuff, where everything was done with a "stick", and chemicals on the stick and all measurements (fuel level/amounts), were converted using a chart. It was standard: any evidence beyond 10 gallons on end of stick, and that grade was shut down till MX came out. Now they use dual stage filters, and computer stuff, etc.,. but really depends upon location, how new place is, how old, MX done, etc. All the above IMHO...

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I mean w/o saying, which is why I did Top ref Mom and Pop is U just never know what people, organization, company will be amenable to hearing what you have to say and maybe willing to assist. When I ran a gas station way back when, we "sticked" the tanks twice a shift and after delivery and if their was evidence of "water" above a level, that tank was shut down. This was back in the 70's, before all the computerized stuff, where everything was done with a "stick", and chemicals on the stick and all measurements (fuel level/amounts), were converted using a chart. It was standard: any evidence beyond 10 gallons on end of stick, and that grade was shut down till MX came out. Now they use dual stage filters, and computer stuff, etc.,. but really depends upon location, how new place is, how old, MX done, etc. All the above IMHO...
Well, not to turn this into a fueling station thread, but some of the "old way" is used when using some of the new. Water finding paste is still utilized with the stick in various scenarios. There are even some older stations that do "stick only" readings. I've worked with enough major oil companies to know that the water problem can and does occur across the board from brand new built stations to 50 year old locations. It happens at the independent locations just as much as national brand major oil locations. Filters are as reliable as the station operator. A filter will bypass if it has enough water reactivity and has reached it's water "holding" capacity (which is VERY little), allowing water to transfer to end user (your truck tank). Part of the reason why I always tell people, "if the dispenser is running slow, stop the flow". Get away from it! It may be a totally separate issue. But if it's slow because of a filter, there's a reason.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Here in California, the Department of Agriculture is in charge of measuring the the actual output of fuel coming out of the pump & i believe that they take a sample of the fuel coming out of each tank.

I wonder if they also handle complaints & inquiries ?

What is the pressure at the fuel rails
Bad fuel rail pressure sensor symptoms include the following:
  • Check Engine Light Turns On. The check engine light comes to life if the ECM algorithms detect any sensor input that is known to be out-of-range. ...
  • Engine Start Problems. ...
  • Poor Engine Performance. ...
  • Bad Fuel Economy. ...
  • Engine Misfires and Runs Rough.
pressure in the rail will always be 58 psi (or pretty close). When idling at 20 inHg, this means effective pressure will rise to 68 psi because the vacuum in the manifold is adding 10 psi to the rails 58 psi.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here in California, the Department of Agriculture is in charge of measuring the the actual output of fuel coming out of the pump & i believe that they take a sample of the fuel coming out of each tank.

I wonder if they also handle complaints & inquiries ?

What is the pressure at the fuel rails
Bad fuel rail pressure sensor symptoms include the following:
  • Check Engine Light Turns On. The check engine light comes to life if the ECM algorithms detect any sensor input that is known to be out-of-range. ...
  • Engine Start Problems. ...
  • Poor Engine Performance. ...
  • Bad Fuel Economy. ...
  • Engine Misfires and Runs Rough.
pressure in the rail will always be 58 psi (or pretty close). When idling at 20 inHg, this means effective pressure will rise to 68 psi because the vacuum in the manifold is adding 10 psi to the rails 58 psi.
They absolutely do. My uncle had that job his entire life, what a sweet gig man. It is the division of weights and measures here in CA, yes under the ag department, and they test gas stations all the time for weights measures and quality and they do take complaints. I imagine every state has one of these. But first my guess the op is gonna have to verify. I don't know the process for getting repairs though, we never discussed that. His favorite thing was catching gas stations who cheated, lol. That was back in the day, I imagine now it would be harder, but back in the 80's he had some stories.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would think that reimbursement for repairs went out the window, as soon as Heet was added to his fuel tank ??

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, not to turn this into a fueling station thread, but some of the "old way" is used when using some of the new. Water finding paste is still utilized with the stick in various scenarios. There are even some older stations that do "stick only" readings. I've worked with enough major oil companies to know that the water problem can and does occur across the board from brand new built stations to 50 year old locations. It happens at the independent locations just as much as national brand major oil locations. Filters are as reliable as the station operator. A filter will bypass if it has enough water reactivity and has reached it's water "holding" capacity (which is VERY little), allowing water to transfer to end user (your truck tank). Part of the reason why I always tell people, "if the dispenser is running slow, stop the flow". Get away from it! It may be a totally separate issue. But if it's slow because of a filter, there's a reason.
IF I see slow running fuel, I immediately stop and run. IF I see a truck making a fuel drop or just finished I bypass that place also. Spent too many years dealing with fuel issues/quality when I was a kid. Learned something out there pumping fuel, LMAO. My deceased wife worked at a station connected with grocery store and she knew the guy who did the pumps and tank MX for this area. She also knew by way of intel which stations in the area had MX done on a regular basis. Those to this day are the only places I get fuel in town.

STICK vs PC: Station where Momma worked was all computerized. But a newer place.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where does this issue sit currently? Key in ignition, turn to run, gauges "sweep" as normal? Turn to "Start" position, and engine rotates, but doesn't fire or fires poorly/idles poorly and dies? If it fires and poorly idles, does it respond to throttle input? Or if it doesn't fire, tried WOT (wide open throttle) during cranking to enable "flood mode" response from engine control? Any change to cranking with that?
@alucke - Bringing this back into focus. Curious what your report back is on this.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF I see slow running fuel, I immediately stop and run. IF I see a truck making a fuel drop or just finished I bypass that place also.
If a station was properly built, there are safeguards in place that negate having to run from an actively dropping fuel situation. The STP (submerged turbine pump) is set at a height as to prevent picking up tank bottom slurry/water for this reason. Also, stations should have in place, a drop tube assembly that the transporter is dropping fuel through, into the bottom of the tank. This drop tube is cut angular, with the widest portion of the opening facing away from the STP intake, again, to prevent pulling in slurry/water during a fuel drop. The drop tube discharge is set lower than the intake of the turbine, facing away from the turbine, in an effort to minimize picking up anything unwanted. Poor service practices throughout the life of the station usually end up with drop tubes and turbines being improperly height adjusted, or not faced properly, overriding these preventative measures. I've been involved in many of the resulting disputes. The last effort at preventing the contaminants from entering a customer vehicle lies in the dispenser filter. Each product is filtered at each dispenser (dispenser consisting of 2 sides of a "pump"), traditionally. These are normally a minimum of a particulate filter gauged at 10 micron for gasoline/ethanol blends and 30 micron for diesel. There are variations of the filter that include particulate and "water alert". The water alert could be a simple reactive media that constricts the pores of the filter upon the introduction of water into the product. This results in a slow flow condition (various things can cause slow flow, but typically filters "alerting" to water is the culprit). There is also a type of water alert filter that uses a check ball, adhered to the inner base of the filter cavity, that release the check ball once water dissolves the adhesive. The check ball locates into what would be the flow path of the gasoline and stops the flow, resulting in a dead-stop vs. slow flow. Check ball type filters are rarely seen any more as they are cost prohibitive for station owners. There are more advanced filters that are phase separation sensitive as well. Cim-Tek and Petroclear are the preferred brands, but numerous companies make a fuel dispenser rated filter.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum ;)

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I got gas, yesterday, on my way to Walmart. As soon as I parked in the walmart parking lot. The truck start sputtering and quit. I tried starting the truck this morning, it sounded like it was having trouble getting fuel. it finally started be it was sputtering and idling real rough. I checked the fuel pump, checked to see if bad gas was the case. Neither was the issue. Here are 2 youtube videos Starting issues

rough idling and sputtering

Any ideas would help
If you don't, start using Top Tier gas.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If a station was properly built, there are safeguards in place that negate having to run from an actively dropping fuel situation. The STP (submerged turbine pump) is set at a height as to prevent picking up tank bottom slurry/water for this reason. Also, stations should have in place, a drop tube assembly that the transporter is dropping fuel through, into the bottom of the tank. This drop tube is cut angular, with the widest portion of the opening facing away from the STP intake, again, to prevent pulling in slurry/water during a fuel drop. The drop tube discharge is set lower than the intake of the turbine, facing away from the turbine, in an effort to minimize picking up anything unwanted. Poor service practices throughout the life of the station usually end up with drop tubes and turbines being improperly height adjusted, or not faced properly, overriding these preventative measures. I've been involved in many of the resulting disputes. The last effort at preventing the contaminants from entering a customer vehicle lies in the dispenser filter. Each product is filtered at each dispenser (dispenser consisting of 2 sides of a "pump"), traditionally. These are normally a minimum of a particulate filter gauged at 10 micron for gasoline/ethanol blends and 30 micron for diesel. There are variations of the filter that include particulate and "water alert". The water alert could be a simple reactive media that constricts the pores of the filter upon the introduction of water into the product. This results in a slow flow condition (various things can cause slow flow, but typically filters "alerting" to water is the culprit). There is also a type of water alert filter that uses a check ball, adhered to the inner base of the filter cavity, that release the check ball once water dissolves the adhesive. The check ball locates into what would be the flow path of the gasoline and stops the flow, resulting in a dead-stop vs. slow flow. Check ball type filters are rarely seen any more as they are cost prohibitive for station owners. There are more advanced filters that are phase separation sensitive as well. Cim-Tek and Petroclear are the preferred brands, but numerous companies make a fuel dispenser rated filter.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum ;)
U are way toooooo knowledgeable for this Humble Boird, but U definitely know yer stuff. Good info.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull one plug on every cylinder & see if she cranks. And see how much liquid comes out. If a lot comes out it was hydro locked. Put plug back & see if it starts. Heat is just rubbing alcohol . Both can remove water . If it starts ,drive all the bad gas out. Try to find non-e fuel & fill it up with pure gas. I’ve run a gallon of lacquer thinner through mine before as well as rubbing alcohol(93%) . To rid it of bad fuel. Ethanol builds up over time and you can have up to 20% in tank. I try to run non-e at least once every couple months.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No codes?? Scan it if not already done so.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW Turkeybird!! My mouth is still dropped open!! Are you an Engineer?? Man you know your stuff fo sure!!

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a random thought; my son drives a tanker truck delivering fuel to convenience stores and gas stations. Another driver took a load of diesel fuel to a Walmart and proceeded to dump the diesel fuel into the gasoline tanks. You can only imagine the kind of damage that would cause. Driver was talking on his cell phone to his girlfriend, not paying attention to what he was doing.