EV Buses Ain't Makin' It Either -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Who knew EV wasn't a one-size-fits-all solution to CO2 reduction everywhere, for all applications? Except those of us in the business. Politicians that don't listen to experts cause a lot of problems for all of us. I'm not "anti-EV", neither am I in a pro-EV cult of ignorance.

"Both the Twin Cities and Duluth have had problems with their battery-electric buses. For one, they can’t go as far as their builders advertised, in part because of the cold weather. Metro Transit’s accordion electric buses were touted to go 150 miles on a single charge. “Using garage chargers alone, electric buses can remain in service for 70 to 75 miles before needing to return to the garage; with on-route chargers, electric buses were scheduled to be in service for up to 90 miles before returning to the garage,” Metro Transit spokesperson Drew Kerr said.

Metro Transit’s battery-electric buses are also less reliable than their diesel-fueled counterparts. A September 2023 presentation to the Met Council’s Transportation Committee showed the battery-electric buses broke down twice as often. The buses were also unable to meet 20% of their scheduled operating miles because they needed battery replacements, which were performed under warranty amid supply chain issues.

Duluth also had problems with its battery-electric bus fleet. Between April 2019 and February 2020, the fleet averaged 7,717 miles between breakdowns, four times as often compared to their diesel counterparts. The buses struggled to make it up the city’s storied steep hills and to keep riders warm in the winter. Proterra’s technicians ultimately installed diesel-fired heaters and retooled their buses."

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

So, obviously mandating only EV's in CA is the solution. Eh? :emotions122:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So, obviously mandating only EV's in CA is the solution. Eh? :emotions122:
What's really good is our Alberta Premier has been on the news lately ,telling everybody that's in the market for a new ICE vehicle should be buying it now,as she's forecasting market cut backs on ICE's starting in 2026
I figure she's done more for vehicle sales in Alberta then anybody else with her comments,lol

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Terrible idea. They're still sorting out their gender 20 years after they were "assigned it at birth".

Software coders in the basement have led us to the condition we're in. I couldn't get company backing to control em as a project and product line manager. Executives didn't understand it, so ignored them and us. Just like congress has.

It's all better, now. Thank god I'm out.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have noticed that around San Diego, they mostly are running CNG buses

Are CNG buses better than diesel?

DPF-equipped diesel buses have lower HC and CO emissions and lower emissions of toxic substances such as benzene, carbonyls and PAHs than CNG buses. CNG buses have lower NOx emissions than DPF-equipped buses, though CNG bus NOx emissions are shown to be much more variable.

What is the benefit of CNG bus?

When burned, it produces significantly lower levels of carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. This makes it a more environmentally friendly option for vehicles. CNG is often less expensive than gasoline or diesel, which can result in significant cost savings for drivers and fleet operators.

According to the results, it was found that TCO of electric buses is less than that of diesel and CNG buses. Specifically, TCO of electric buses is 15% less than that of diesel buses, and compared with CNG it is 5% less over a period of 10 years of use.

LOL, isn't EV Buses battery life 10 Years ?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
CNG is often only run by taxpayer subsidies because of the expense in handling it, including tanks and transfer equipment.

It is the cleanest burning fuel there is, next to hydrogen. Why? There is only one carbon atom per every four hydrogen atoms per molecule, unlike longer chain hydrocarbon molecules with only two hydrogens per carbon atom.

This means CNG produces much less carbon dioxide than any other fossil fuel. I am surprised that their combustion produces more CO & HC than catalyzed diesel - this obviously means they are being run stoichiometric without an exhaust catalyst. That's an unfair TCO model.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Terrible idea. They're still sorting out their gender 20 years after they were "assigned it at birth"....
.....ohh you nailed it! If that is the only thing "They".."Them" can address I am so glad this guy only has a few more summers this side of the grass..as i drive my 5.7 Hemi to and fro...LOL

Eaglefire21

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's all political b/s to keep putting money in their pockets. Fossil fuels are putting less pollutants in the atmosphere then what it takes to make ev's

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Who knew EV wasn't a one-size-fits-all solution to CO2 reduction everywhere, for all applications? Except those of us in the business. Politicians that don't listen to experts cause a lot of problems for all of us. I'm not "anti-EV", neither am I in a pro-EV cult of ignorance.

"Both the Twin Cities and Duluth have had problems with their battery-electric buses. For one, they can’t go as far as their builders advertised, in part because of the cold weather. Metro Transit’s accordion electric buses were touted to go 150 miles on a single charge. “Using garage chargers alone, electric buses can remain in service for 70 to 75 miles before needing to return to the garage; with on-route chargers, electric buses were scheduled to be in service for up to 90 miles before returning to the garage,” Metro Transit spokesperson Drew Kerr said.

Metro Transit’s battery-electric buses are also less reliable than their diesel-fueled counterparts. A September 2023 presentation to the Met Council’s Transportation Committee showed the battery-electric buses broke down twice as often. The buses were also unable to meet 20% of their scheduled operating miles because they needed battery replacements, which were performed under warranty amid supply chain issues.

Duluth also had problems with its battery-electric bus fleet. Between April 2019 and February 2020, the fleet averaged 7,717 miles between breakdowns, four times as often compared to their diesel counterparts. The buses struggled to make it up the city’s storied steep hills and to keep riders warm in the winter. Proterra’s technicians ultimately installed diesel-fired heaters and retooled their buses."
So, did Henry Ford create a perfect vehicle in the original Model T ? It might help to consider how technology evolved. It appears that you want perfection at first go.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So, did Henry Ford create a perfect vehicle in the original Model T ? It might help to consider how technology evolved. It appears that you want perfection at first go.
No one was forced by the government to give up their horse and buggy to buy a Model T.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
but town gov'ts forced Draft Horses & the Freight Wagons that they pulled to use Secondary roads while in town.
That took care of the deep ruts in the Primary Streets, it also took care of the water that gathered in those ruts, the water came from the sky, the horses & water that was put down to keep the dust down.
Later, they declared that all horses were dangerous & unhealthy.
Horse manure had to be walked around & the Proper Ladies of the town complained.
Then as vehicles, whether powered by Steam or kerosene, gasoline, etc. would scare the horses that were being ridden or pulling a Buggy & pedestrians were being hurt.
Now, horses are seldom allowed in larger towns, except for special events.
In my town, about 6 city blocks to the North & East from my place, there are often people riding horses to the store, we have many horse farms around here, cars can't climb the hill side .

Before long, major highway traffic lanes will be narrower
Originally Highways had 12 foot wide lanes & the #4 Truck lane was 13 foot wide.
California has run out of room for expansion, in many Metro areas, so the lanes will have to be narrower, likely dropped down to 9 or 10 foot to begin with.
This will be done to add another lane.
Have you noticed, E Vehicles are narrower