More EV Wintertime Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It seems the cold killed a bunch of Superchargers in Chicago. https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/dead-teslas-oak-brook Kind of ironic one person hires an ICE tow truck to take his EV to try to find a working charging station. Another sat at the charger for 3+ hours and still no charge. All kidding aside, in very cold temperatures this could be life threatening.

One recommendation is to not run the EV below 20% when it is cold so that remaining charge can be used to warm up the battery so it can charge. So now not only is the a 20% - 30% hit in range due to the cold but another 20% kept in reserve to condition the battery to charge. One suggestion was to leave the car in a garage and / or do the battery conditioning while still on plugin power. Both don't seem very doable if you want to actually use the EV to go somewhere.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Question for the Edmonton guys on here.How many EV's have you seen on the roads in the last few days.I have a couple buddies in Edmonton watching out for them,and they haven't seen 1 EV since it went cold last week.

rmill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so ev's are good if you live in warm weather. so evs are good if you live in warm weather and can afford maintenance costs on them. so evs are good if you live in warm weather, can afford maintenance cost and can afford install of charger and increase in electric bell. so evs are good if you live in warm weather, can afford maintenance costs, and can afford install of charger and increase in electric bill and have no problem with ***** labor or carbon foot print to produce batteries. so evs are good if you live in warm weather, can afford maintenance costs, can afford install of charger and increase in electric bill, have no problem with ***** labor or carbon footprint to produce batteries and only drive it in a 20 mile circumference of your house. so evs...aw f$#k it ill stick with my hemi.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
It is not only the cold. I was traveling out of state and we got stuck due to a bad crash on the HWY. Road was closed for more than 2 hours. Sheriff's would not let us turn around or exit. There was a guy with a new Model S dual motor next to me. He was sweating bullets worried about his charge status as well as he could not sit in the car due to all the glass. It was a hot summer day and he was roasting. He was searching for the nearest charge facility and was wore out by the time the HWY opened up. He went searching for a charge and his trip was severely interrupted.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Wild One. Up until it warmed up yesterday, only -16 now, I have only seen one full electric, my neighbour in his Bunny suit headed to work. Can't use the heat or can't get all the way to work and back, despite only being 12 miles from the office. He has no choice, doesn't own an ICE. Luckily, he parks in a heated garage at home, though out in the cold at work, but if it gets any colder he will be using his pedal bike to go to work or trying to call a cab.

OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild One. Up until it warmed up yesterday, only -16 now, I have only seen one full electric, my neighbour in his Bunny suit headed to work. Can't use the heat or can't get all the way to work and back, despite only being 12 miles from the office. He has no choice, doesn't own an ICE. Luckily, he parks in a heated garage at home, though out in the cold at work, but if it gets any colder he will be using his pedal bike to go to work or trying to call a cab.
I remember you mentioning him,wasn't he a bit pompous ,lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Taking a technology known to have issues with cold weather into cold weather sounds like a good way to win a Darwin award. Range not as expected or advertised. Stranded miles from the charger in freezing cold weather. I think I'll pass.
Damn it's only good for 30 miles,i wonder if that's at it's mind numbing speed of 37 mph,lol. Nothing said about it's weight either,so that makes me think you might need a crane to lift it into the back of your electric 1/2 ton truck :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Damn it's only good for 30 miles,i wonder if that's at it's mind numbing speed of 37 mph,lol. Nothing said about it's weight either,so that makes me think you might need a crane to lift it into the back of your electric 1/2 ton truck :Big Laugh:
That way the tow truck can tow both of them to a charger.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I can't get my youngest teenager to keep their cell phone charged. 5%, 9% at best sometimes. "I've got enough power for what I use my phone for".

No way that generation will adapt well to above 20% in winter....can hear it now...I'll just find a charging station......With the links above that will be no issue, right? :rolleyes:

Anyone seen the movie on Netflix called: Leave the world behind? And what happened to the Tesla's? Not the best flick, but should make you think..

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

skates15

Reaction score
You must condition the battery before it can hold a charge in winter. Its an easy fix. Just crawl under your EV and massage the batteries until they are warm enough to take a charge. That's what I call a happy ending and your EV will love you too.