Interesting take on an EV in Quebec (copied from another post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

·

Bryan Bootcamp O'Connor

·
Exactly one year after purchasing the electric Mustang Mach-E, I'd like to share my thoughts, pros and cons of driving an all electric car.
Pros:
1. Driving is like nothing I've experienced! The acceleration and power is so smooth and luxurious. What a ride!
2. Don't have to buy gas.
3. Low maintenance!!! No oil changes! Fewer moving parts equals less parts breaking down.
4. City driving is amazing! The car battery excels in slow, stop and go conditions.
Cons:
1. Winter driving is very stressful. The battery drains very quickly in the cold. Heating your cabin in extremely cold temperatures is sometimes impossible! At minus 35 degrees Celsius, your windshield will freeze over as NO HEAT will be provided! That's right...only cold air in very cold climate!
3. Charging your car takes much longer in the winter. Traveling to Ottawa once, it took 90 minutes to charge my car from 20% to 80% at a level 3 Charging spot.
4. The anger and frustration when you pull up to a fast charger off the highway and it is "out of order" is out of this world! It happens too often!
5. Everywhere you travel to, extensive careful planning is needed because fast chargers (level 3) are not easy to find in working order.
6. Highway driving drains your battery very fast at speeds greater than 100kms per hour.
In Summary:
1. My Mustang Mach-E is not a practical car for my job. I put 30,000kms in one year. If we have a colder Winter next year I'll be miserable!
2. The infrastructure is a joke for non- tesla cars. I cannot imagine doubling the electric cars on the road with the current available fast chargers. The wait lines and times to charge will increase arrival times on long trips by many hours!
3. Electric cars are not very efficient on the highway if you like to drive fast.
In my opinion, a plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) car would be ideal. PHEV cars can drive electric in the city, saving you on gas. Then choose gas to drive efficiently on the highway. Win-win!
I sold my Mustang Mach-E and I am on a waiting list to buy a PHEV. It was a fun ride while it lasted but very impractical for my line of work. Our cold Quebec winters and the very poor infrastructure adds to my obvious decision.
Our governments want to put a holt on the production of internal combustion engines by 2035. Good luck with that! The current infrastructure is a joke. I do not have any faith it can be improved to meet the future demand.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What id he expect? All the range estimates are for ideal conditions. Sort of like fuel MPG numbers. Unfortunately, ideal conditions don't exist for 99.9% of drivers. Unfortunately, the "leaders" proclaiming these specific dates have no idea if they are achievable it just sounds good to get votes in the near term.

I have never seen any of them put out s specific step by step plan with buy-in from the major stakeholders. I.E. How will all the additional power be generated? How will it move to the charging points? Who will build the charging points? Who will maintain them? This last point seems to be a frequent complaint of EV drivers. If you are counting on battery / technology advances, have the stakeholders working on those bought into the dates? The notion that one just proclaim a date for something as complex a transitioning to electric vehicles without detailed analysis and planning and expect the date to met is unrealistic.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every person/politician that is for electrification of travel should be required to drive one and only own an electric. Not an PHEV or gas/diesel vehicle. Only an EV. And they should be required by law to use only an EV for at least one year duration. That way they can receive the full enjoyment of saving the planet.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Friend of mine just did his battery on his ev. 211000 kms. Replacement with taxes was 23k and change canadian. Which was about the difference in price vs the gas model of the same car. He figures he spends approx 7 cents per km for electricity charging at home. If you figure out the cost per km for the battery at the mileage he made on it at just over 9 cents a km he's 16 cents a km. We figured a car that uses 10l per 100 km with oil changes runs roughly 19 cents a km, however the gas version of his vehicle claims 7l per 100 so 14 cents we figured if he managed that. This doesn't include any finance costs on the price difference nor take into account that ypu pay the 9 cents and change per km up front. I'm not seeing the savings here. That said it is a lot quicker than its gas counterpart.

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ford and GM are having second thoughts on EV's, most likely Stellantis is also, the automakers are covering their asses on the losses their about to take by demanding government grants they claim is for battery research and EV production costs. This is not the market building upon supply and demand, this is the government trying to force a bad idea, Im pretty sure historians are going to look back and say WTF were they thinking, there are tons of battery research startups cashing in on government grants that are turning out little or no improvements to batteries, Canada is cold in the winter, never mind what the manufacturer says about range, battery heaters aren't making much difference in range especially when it gets down bellow 32F, the life of the battery also deteriorates faster, who in their right mind would want to buy a used EV from Canada, leases cost more to protect the back end loss, owners of purchased EV's are going to take a crap kicking when trying to trade in, nobody is going to want an EV with deteriorated battery, and we haven't even gotten into infrastructure, but if you want and EV, its your business.