Fix loud Bosch Icon wipers ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_happy_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Today I replaced my old Michelin wipers I got at Walmart about 8 years ago. I installed some new Bosch Icon A22 blades which make a loud SQUEEK at the top and bottom of each stroke. I saw some good recommendations on the forums for the Icon blades. Is there any way to get remedy the noise?

I have a 2012 Ram 1500.

Thanks.

PXL_20231226_193146888.jpg
PXL_20231226_193502251.jpg

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure your windshield is clean. I use degreaser and a magic eraser prior to polishing.

I have Icons with no noise. Amazing wipers.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the same Icons and the same issue as OP. Noisy from the very start, no amount of cleaning the rubber or glass makes a difference. These are my 2nd set, and the reason I bought them was because the 1st set were awesome and lasted 7 years.

These 2nd set of Icons do an awesome job of cleaning with each wipe, but they make a sound that makes me want to kill puppies.

I have had enough to do from mid November through Christmas, but this week I'll be replacing them. This time I'll replace them right outside and return them immediately if necessary.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Bosch ICONs, no issues with squeaking noise. I'd suspect either the glass or wiper arms

There is two part numbers, I used the 22A(driver) and 22B (passenger)

Yep. I don't know what what various auto supply outlets might advise, but the Bosch web site shows the same, 22A/driver and 22B/passenger.

*Example: AutoZone's site says 22A will fit both sides, and the site does not list a 22B.

OP
OP
H

_happy_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll try cleaning and the alcohol. They only make the noise at the and of the two strokes. Not in the middle. Bummer you got a bad set @Curmudgeon

@18CrewDually I'm down in NC today and we got lots of rain. It's heading your way!

I stupidly tossed the packaging before trying them out.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Worked at a body shop for years 2 best things to clean a windshield.

Clay bar and detail spray just like you would on a painted fender

We used 0000 steel wool too just dry on the windshield but if you
Dont blow it off really good and wash it good whatever steel wool dust is left will rust.

I just use clay bar.

Perforator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Wow! Y’all are getting a lot of time between blades! The West Texas sun is brutal. I normally have to change mine every 3 months…

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icons on two vehicles, no noise unless it's dry. Windshields are washed when it rains, when I use the washer button, or when I drive through a carwash.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! Y’all are getting a lot of time between blades! The West Texas sun is brutal. I normally have to change mine every 3 months…
I had the Icons last a few years in AZ sun so a few months would be super short.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll try cleaning and the alcohol. They only make the noise at the and of the two strokes. Not in the middle. Bummer you got a bad set @Curmudgeon

@18CrewDually I'm down in NC today and we got lots of rain. It's heading your way!

I stupidly tossed the packaging before trying them out.
Actually it sounds (pun?) like mine are doing the same thing yours are doing, chirping at the end of each stroke. They still do a flawless job of clearing the glass. On a long highway trip the noise gets to be annoying, especially when I consider these are basically new, highly rated everywhere, rather expensive.

Also as @NETim said, I have also been using the Icons for years across many vehicles, including a set currently on my wife's Eclipse. The set I have on my Ram right now are the only ones I've ever had a gripe with, which is why I'm going to try another set.

Should be rainy here for days so I ought to be able to test the new ones pretty quick.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I agree,i'm lucky to get 6 months out of a set of wiper blades,i used to run the high dollar Michelin and Icons and they didn't last any longer then the cheap blades did. Now i buy the cheapest ones on sale,and change them roughly every 6 to 8 months

OP
OP
H

_happy_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now that I think about it I went through a car wash a couple weeks ago that claimed to spray me down with a Rain-X type of solution. Maybe that's the cause. It's been raining all day and they are a bit better. Once it dries up I'll try to clean the glass.
I just bought the 22A for both sides. I did notice on the passenger side, all the way to the right the blade is lifted off the glass for the last 1.5". I guess that's why they started offering the 22B.

I've had this truck since new (2012) and am planning on some updates as it mostly all stock. Thinking backup cam / head unit (still have the Mopar RES 130S CD Player); get some dents removed, some scratches fixed. Bed liner, I'm sure i'll be posting more here. You guys are a big help!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yah the sal
That is how I've cleaned my windshield for the past umteen years.

I also run ICONs on all our vehicles. I get two years out of a set in SE Michigan climate.
Salt spray and ice is hard on EVERYTHING. Iv got a 2016 and im pretty sure im on set # 4

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can say with no doubt, check your auto insurance, if they cover glass, go into the yard and find a big rock, now throw the rock at the windshield and break it like it never been broke, call insurance co and let them send one of those glass people to your house and they put a new windshield in. The hardest thing in the world to polish is glass, if clay cant bring it back nothing aggressive will. Mostly you will spin your wheels with alc or acetone. You can try some real boiling water wipes assuming it isnt cold of course, but it is easier to replace a windshield every decade then waste time and energy trying to repair them when they get oxidized.

Once it is beyond repair and you know you will replace, then I might be inclined to try a ceramic coating likje they do with lenses.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use barkeeper’s friend, water and elbow grease. Make a wet paste, rub in, let dry to haze. Clean off with microfiber cloths. I use an older microfiber cloths and silicone spray to wipe down blades and let them dry off the glass while I’m cleaning windshield. I drive semi for a living and a nasty windshield and suck wipers is a pet peeve of mine.