For those that do not like the Dial Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I liked the floor shifter in my 11 as it was much better for using the ERS. As stated, the two tiny buttons sux. Then again, I knew what was getting when I bought my truck.

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2009 until a month ago when I got the dial shifter. On its own it's OK but my 09 had the 4x4 knob there. Several times now I get to the top of my drive and go to put it back in 2by before pulling into the garage only to land in Park! I suppose I'll get used to it. One thing for sure...you may not be able to put it in D while moving or without a foot on the brake but you can darn sure take it out of D. It comes to a quick stop too!

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t mind it much, it’s easy to reach and haven’t mistakenly changed gears yet. My only complaint is you can’t put the truck in neutral and let it roll. It goes into this auto park function and jolts to a stop, safety function I suppose as it gives a warning message in the dash. Other than that it’s a neat feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like it. My only complaint is manually shifting with the little buttons takes a bit of getting used to and I have hit those buttons on two occasions on the highway on accident causing me to downshift and hold that gear. I didn't over-rev or anything but I was looking down and it was at like 5k rpms and I was think WTF why won't it upshift.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish you had to push in on it or something to go into Park. When you go from D to R if you aren't paying attention, or are in a rush you end up in P instead of R. With most normal shifters, you can move them from D to R without having to push in on the button.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had my new truck for two weeks and ******* everyday about it until I took it in last week for due bill items. They gave me a 2015 Mercedes something or other off their used lot to drive, took me ten minutes just to figure out how to get it into gear! I’ll never ***** about the knob again!

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
My GF turned it by mistake when she wanted to turn the radio off:)

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I'm used to it, but I still don't like it.

Why is hard to quantify, but I'll give it a shot:

- It doesn't feel "truck-like" (to me).
- It's way different than what has been used in vehicles of all kinds for 50+ years previously.
- It's a four-position switch, so why is the column shift so hard to implement all of a sudden?
- As others have noted, it's close to a bunch of other knobs. Being a different size isn't a 100% solution for finding the wrong one occasionally.
- Indicator aside, having a large lever hanging off your steering column is a prominent corner-of-your-eye confirmation of what position you think it's in.
- It's just looks better (to me; I realize that's not universal, but you asked).

I probably missed one or more, but these are all the reasons I can think of right now that resonate with me.

loknload

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like it, something different?
Can you remember back to the days of push buttons on the dash?

RamAz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not “truck like” I am also often in a rush because I’m lazy in the morning and sometimes place it in park instead of reverse. The one good thing tho is if your seat belt is off and open the door it puts it in auto park. The downside to that is I sometimes open my door to back up in the garage and it will go in auto park...[emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I like it, but I have found myself throwing it in reverse thinking it was in park and started to get out while the truck slowly rolls backwards...

Me too! MANY times. At my marina this past summer, my truck was 2' from rolling into the water over the dock as I jumped in to put it in park. Another time, I almost ran myself over. Now I'm finally getting used to it, and starting to have the opposite problem in my other vehicles that do not have the dial! Got in my wifes range rover and tried to back out of the garage with the volume knob!

LOL!

PartTimeHero

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/ 2004
Engine
Hemi 5.7 x 2
Can we get simple 1 line why you do not like it? I am confused because of how well the console and column cleans up without a shifter

I like it because it gives me a lot more console space for traveling, like the Cell phone holder and a spot from my quick access CCW while moving

This one time I was trying to be Rico Suave and as I locked eyes with my date and reached up to put it in drive from revese I accidentally turned up the radio volume. It made me look like a fool.

Seriously though I love it.

Crawgator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't like it and probably never will but that didn't deter me from buying my 2017 Rebel. I pulled up on my carport, thought I put the truck in park, truck still running, was getting out the truck, it started rolling forward and ended up with my porch swing sitting on the hood. I turned the blower knob instead of the shift knob. Now I'm very careful while shifting. One of the managers at the dealership stated that I would learn to like it. I told him I may get used to it but will never like it.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I don't care for the dial, I've spun it to fast trying to make a quick exit and had it do some strange things.
The same in a hurry to get it in gear while watching something else, I've changed the fan speed more then once.
Of course I still don't like the brake interlocks and my K2500 has that also.
It is a functional shift operator, I miss being able to tell what gear I'm in without having to play with
push buttons all the time.

Crawgator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Patchelect,

"If only my truck had a danged factory CD player"

Me too. That was on of the first questions I asked the salesman while test driving. He looked at me like I was crazy!!

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Patchelect,

"If only my truck had a danged factory CD player"

Me too. That was on of the first questions I asked the salesman while test driving. He looked at me like I was crazy!!

Mine does of course its buried in the lower center consul almost unreachable.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Took me about a month to get used to dial shifter. Fo me it's fine.

ndiehm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like it. Except for when I'm in reverse and do to change to drive but turn up the a/c

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hate my rotary shifter. Mostly because my summer driver is a Hemi Challenger, with auto-stick, and my driving style is to use the manual shifting feature to slow down in bends, off ramps, etc...to save wear and tear on the brake and also to not heat them up when you have to slow down at highway speeds, when some left-lane-lurking-knuckle-dragging-moron gets in your way. I just pop the cruise control off, grab a gear, and slow down with never touching the brakes. On my Rebel, I'm limited to using those two stupid buttons on the steering wheel, and half the time when I go for them, I turn the volume on the radio down, instead of down shifting. This truck either needs paddle shifters, or some sort of auto-stick to control what gear your in.