Fuel Filling Handle Sticks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time in California with my 2017 Ram Longhorn. First time we filled it up had a lot of problem getting the filling handle in tight enough to get the fuel to pump. Then it was stuck on and wouldn’t release, we thought we might actually damage the neck of the tank releaseing it. Had to have the gas station attendant come and get the handle to release. He said we would have to push up on the suction portion of the handle and pump gas with it held up or it would stick every time. There must be a trick to using that type of handle or getting it to release after filling. Can anyone describe what that might be?

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
C7310FC4-2847-4C13-A08D-03968F262C8B.jpeg 88BB5CED-D012-45B1-8049-496F865AB18C.jpeg I’m hoping these photos will help to show the problem. They show the gas station attendant trying to get the fuel nozzle to disengage. Can anyone help with this problem?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine takes some juggling but comes right out. It might be the nozzle itself. Being California it’s possible it has some special EPA nozzle or shape. Take a pic of the gas pump nozzle next time.

Maybe some others will reply, we have many members here from Cali

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine takes some juggling but comes right out. It might be the nozzle itself. Being California it’s possible it has some special EPA nozzle or shape. Take a pic of the gas pump nozzle next time.

Maybe some others will reply, we have many members here from Cali

Thanks, we have no problem in any other state we have been in (AZ, NM, TX, OK, etc) just California. It’s their crazy “don’t let the fumes escape” accordion things.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
See this is what I don’t get about Cali, they have all these environmentalists that make fuss over everything, but then continue to destroy the old growth timber? I mean really?? Now don’t get me wrong, Cali is beautiful, been there twice, wife is from San Diego, but what a bunch a hypocrites no?

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Ya, is probably a Cali thing, no way I would live there.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Mine sucks too. Sits about half way and a pain to remove

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is one minor design quibble I've had with my RAM since getting it compared to my previous chev. The angle of the fill point on the tank is a bit tight to get the nozzle in and out.

But then I get on the road, hit the throttle and am soothed by the power and sound of the dual exhaust and I'm happy again :)

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live in California, I don’t have a problem filling up. But I noticed I have to angle it up quite a bit to stick the nozzle in. As far as California goes, it’s getting way to expensive and way to liberal. Gas is $3.80 for REGULAR in my town and registration fees are outrageous. If it weren’t for the job and family being here I’d be gone. Then again after the governor elections this year I may be reconsidering residency here lol.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve found some nozzles have to be inserted/removed at a high angle. Some also have “ribbing” that catches on the filler neck, causing a need to perform what I call the “wiggle jiggle”.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It’s by far my least favourite vehicle I’ve had to put gas in. Every trip to the Costco gas line up I dread fighting the gas nozzle. I’ve had gas come shorting back out at me or it’s stops constantly.

Meanwhile 48 people are behind me waiting for my pump LOL. $130 later I’m on my way! [emoji107]

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I live in California, I don’t have a problem filling up. But I noticed I have to angle it up quite a bit to stick the nozzle in. As far as California goes, it’s getting way to expensive and way to liberal. Gas is $3.80 for REGULAR in my town and registration fees are outrageous. If it weren’t for the job and family being here I’d be gone. Then again after the governor elections this year I may be reconsidering residency here lol.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same filler neck issue with the 18 2500 CC. Would have been out of here but,,,, very close to my daughter and granddaughter.

NorCalJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this problem all of the time. Some California pumps have a metal ring or sleeve at the end of the nozzle that gets caught in the threads for the cap. It's very frustrating to say the least. The other day I took my time and pulled up hard on the rubber seal on the nozzle, and I was able to tilt the nozzle forward enough to allow that ring to free itself. Pain in the ass, but it worked.

Last edited:

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Yeah CA has some sucky chit. My 96 mustang GT conv. takes 15 min to fill every pump in CA. Ive done it at a Costco in Palm Desert. Nice to visit, 101 with the top down. Cant live there (everything is known to cause cancer in the state of CA) and they have the signs to prove it.

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is one minor design quibble I've had with my RAM since getting it compared to my previous chev. The angle of the fill point on the tank is a bit tight to get the nozzle in and out.

But then I get on the road, hit the throttle and am soothed by the power and sound of the dual exhaust and I'm happy again :)
Yes, I so agree with you.

OP
OP
L

Lisa W

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this problem all of the time. Some California pumps have a metal ring or sleeve at the end of the nozzle that gets caught in the threads for the cap. It's very frustrating to say the least. The other day I took my time and pulled up hard on the rubber seal on the nozzle, and I was able to tilt the nozzle forward enough to allow that ring to free itself. Pain in the ass, but it worked.
I think that is how the attendant finally got it off. We have been holding the ring back with one hand and filling - really is a PITA to do.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would have been out of here but,,,, very close to my daughter and granddaughter.

Take your family with you and get out while you can. A mass exodus is underway, California is going to economically collapse.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Take your family with you and get out while you can. A mass exodus is underway, California is going to economically collapse.
My son lives in Raleigh. Quality of life, good people and common sense politics, makes it attractive. Your right, the good people are getting out. fitz

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ya, is probably a Cali thing, no way I would live there.

Me neither. Done that for 10 years while I was in the Marine Corps. You’d never find my ass there again, even if it got lost

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)