GPS not showing correct position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone run into an issue where the GPS doesn't show your correct location? I've been having on and off issues where the GPS shows me on some random road far, far away. In some cases it shows me sort of in the correct area but it looks like I'm driving across the roads, through people's property.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes I had the same exact issue. I had to take the truck to the dealer and have the software on the radio manually updated to fix the issue. Since the OS on the radio is so out of date, it caused the GPS to no longer work. I was charged for the shop time, but not the software.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone run into an issue where the GPS doesn't show your correct location? I've been having on and off issues where the GPS shows me on some random road far, far away. In some cases it shows me sort of in the correct area but it looks like I'm driving across the roads, through people's property.
As stated by @stevenP , it could be a radio in need of a firmware update or the GPS antenna needs to be replaced. The antenna is located on the roof and will be a puck style or shark fin style antenna and can be replaced in about 30 minutes.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There are actually quite a few things that can cause this issue. It is also fairly common unfortunately. Antenna, cable, GPS unit in the radio itself, software, and updates. I had this happen on a 2021 GC with 8.4. Needed a whole new (rebuilt) radio on warranty. (You can actually replace the module but that is not how the dealers fix them).

Without the right gear, dealer is going to need to track down what the exact issue is or you could spend a lot of money swapping parts.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There are actually quite a few things that can cause this issue. It is also fairly common unfortunately. Antenna, cable, GPS unit in the radio itself, software, and updates. I had this happen on a 2021 GC with 8.4. Needed a whole new (rebuilt) radio on warranty. (You can actually replace the module but that is not how the dealers fix them).

Without the right gear, dealer is going to need to track down what the exact issue is or you could spend a lot of money swapping parts.

This is a fair assessment. I would start with a DIY firmware update. I would also check to see if SXM is working properly, if the signal is not good it points to the antenna itself or the cabling and connectors between it and the radio.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Yes, check the signal strength display. I had this issue on my '14, the signal strength showed zero. I replaced the antenna, all worked.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Boy, I don't remember, there is a soft button when in the Nav screen called "location" I think. Then one of the next selections shows the satellite channels and their signal strength. Mine were all no signal before replacing the antenna.