Growl during coast down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fletch125

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L
So my truck has developed this growl on coast down. Similar to a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. I initially thought it was a wheel bearing but I'm not so sure. It recently went from 30 degrees to about 4 degrees where I live so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. It's coming from the front end but doesn't appear side specific. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

goodguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Possible manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
worn wheel bearing makes some kind of a not very loud and allways on grinding noise.
If it's the sound of card in bicycle wheel then it's probably something on the drivetrain:
- transfer case
- PARK position lock pin (makes similar noise when shifting in Park while driving)
- drive shaft
- front axle differential
- front axle 4x4 connect / disconnect
- axle drive shafts
- cv joints

My 98 Dakota makes this noise always when 4x4 engaged and turning right or left, probably worn cv joints

Chris

OP
OP
Fletch125

Fletch125

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L
I've checked literally everything at this point. Fun part is it's been -5 degrees outside at the warmest all week. Jacked the truck up and spun each tire by hand and checked for play....nothing. Drained the front diff looking for metal flakes....nothing. I'm going to try rotating the tires. It seems to be specific to the front left. I've had vehicles with bad wheel bearings before and this sounds nothing like it. It almost sounds like a worn tire but these only have 10k on them!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk