Help Sub not working!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
Well my sub cut out yesterday. figured it was blown fuse but it doesnt look like it. the fuse for the wiring is good. I check the wires all were fine. Aaron said to pull the amp fuses and I just did that. they dont look blown... idk whats wrong...

pics are of the amp fuses
IMAG0041-1.jpg
IMAG0040-1.jpg

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Does your sub have an internal amp or an external amp?

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So its not working at all? Did it cut out while it was on, or did you turn the truck off then get back in and it wasn't working?

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
no the sub isnt working at all. i think i started it and it didnt come on. i dont remember if it cut out while driving...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
It sounds like a bad ground. Wheres the sub grounded to and does it have a single ground or 2? My kenwood has to have 2 external grounds and used to cut out till I fixed it.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
id start with the obvious is all the settings right on your dash unit? then check the under hood fuse for the amp as you already checked the amp fuses they look good if you have a digital multimeter you can test them to make sure they are good fuses have gone bad with out visible signs, then if all that is good you could take the sub out and test that with your digital multimeter also on a ohms load and see what it reads....thats where i would go....

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
check the fuse on the power cable right after the battery, could very well be that one

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know my amp will cut off if it over heats. Which it does the same thing. I turn the amp off at my head unit and let it cool. Is it possible that it over heated?? Other than that I would double check your grounds. Make sure it has good contact. If your amp has the protection led on it and it is lit then there is a circuit issue. But if the light isn't lit but it gets power get another random speaker and hook it to the amp. Double check speaker ratings of coarse. Maybe unhook it from the battery and reconnect it. Just some food for thought.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
mine did that to, i installed it and did everything right but it just sounds fuzzy. its an infinity, so its got a built in amp. anyone know whats wrong with mine?

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
check the fuse on the power cable right after the battery, could very well be that one
already did that its fine...
I know my amp will cut off if it over heats. Which it does the same thing. I turn the amp off at my head unit and let it cool. Is it possible that it over heated?? Other than that I would double check your grounds. Make sure it has good contact. If your amp has the protection led on it and it is lit then there is a circuit issue. But if the light isn't lit but it gets power get another random speaker and hook it to the amp. Double check speaker ratings of coarse. Maybe unhook it from the battery and reconnect it. Just some food for thought.

its not been over heating for two days now...

grounds have been good for more than a year dont think its that either... but ill check

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
mine was a bad ground

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

I second this, because I had this problem. I was listening to the stereo and all the sudden the sub quit and the amp was not turning on at all. Took me days to figure it out because I checked the fuse by the battery and it looked good, and some how I got 12v across it with the volt meter so I ruled it out. After scratching my head just as a last resort I bought some fuses and replaced it. The sub worked fine then.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Do you have access to a multi meter? Check and see if power is making it out of the amp. Im assuming it lights up with power coming in or if its on.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you might wanna check the RCA connection behind the HU, mighta wiggled loose or something

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Ok if it lights up then your getting feed into there so its just not passing through it. What brand name sub? Some higher end ones have a fuse on the sub wiring itself as a last ditch to keep from shorting the sub.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
Jl audio. All in the sig lol already took the sub out. It doesn't have a fuse

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine