HELP: Suggestion needed before buying RAM1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roudan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Hi Guys,

I am planning to purchase RAM1500 and sell off my 2011 Subaru Outback. I am doing research for few days already but I think it is better to ask you guys for suggestion before buying. Thanks in advance.

The reason I am selling off outback and plan to buy RAM are as follows:

1. Hope RAM has lower road noise
2. Heavy truck, I think, is safer in winter snow driving, in case of collision
3. more utility, hauling

Could you please advise me your opinion on the above 3 my wish list? Are they true for new RAM 1500?

Now I still also need your opinion on which model do I buy?

Firstly let me tell you what I use RAM usually for?

1. daily commute, so prefer lower fuel comsumption
2. love quiet cabin, very important!
3. Lost of winter driving, go skiing every weekend
4. I am short, like 5'5. I'd like to sleep in the truck bed in the summer time during camping so I don't need to setup tent every time
5. Budget, <$40,000
6. Crew cab since I have a kid

Could you also please help me choose which RAM model is most suitable for me based on the above?

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it!!

Roudan

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
For that budget you can get a fully loaded big horn or a low end sport/Laramie. My advice if leather isn't a must I would get a crew cab 4wd big horn loaded up. options hemi 8 speed anti spin axle, block heater, heated steering wheels and seats, alpine system, 8.4 with nav, remote start, rear defrost, tow package, And spray in bedliner. The Eco diesel gets good fuel mileage but comes at a high cost, the pentastar v6 gets 24-25 hwy but has a very low towing capacity. The hemi 8 speed can obtain 20-22 hwy depending on axle ratio and has all the power you'll ever need. If you really did some research you probably could get a sport, or bottom end larmie for your 40 but You'll be streching your budget.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my outdoorsman is pretty quiet. you'll still hear the engine but that's about it

jlis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The cab in my laramie is very quiet. Got mine for $37k before tax, title, and licensing. Roughly $10k off sticker. It's a 2wd. Haven't brought it in the snow so I can't comment on it's performance there. Only things it doesn't have are the ram box and air suspension. So you can get a good amount for your $40k price range. Check out the amp bed step since you like to sleep in the bed. Makes it easier to get in and out. I get around 19-21mpg on the hwy. 11-13 city. Mixed i'm around 16.1 mpg.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your wanting to sleep in your bed id get a quad cab. In a crew your tailgate would have to down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You can get a 6' bed crew cab, same length as a quad cab bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 0.02. For 41.k out the door I got a 14' 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92. Sticker is around 49k. If you time it right, I.E. Rams truck month, you can get siiiiiiick incentives. I don't see why you cannot get a bighorn, 4x4 (you mentioned snow), 5.7 hemi crew cab for mid 35k.

Look, good luck getting a full size truck with "good" gas Milage. You can only get "good" based on the truck market. Not the auto market as a whole. "Good" for a full size truck is mid-high teens. Mix driving, if you drive conservatively, maybe 20 combined. Maybe. Ecodiesel will offer better MPG but it will take longer to break even.

A Ram 1500 will absolutely out perform your Subaru. You will have more payload, brute force and capability. My cab is quiet with stock exhaust.

Got get yourself your Ram!

BULL55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI 8 SPEED 4X4 3.21 GEAR
I got the 4 door 1500 Black Express. It is quiet, drives really nice with the electric steering. The 3.21 rear end with the 8 speed and Hemi is giving me 19.7 around town and 22.2 as the best trip gas mileage. My family as told me it is a smooth riding truck which I agree.It has a lot of goodies needed for my needs @ out the door price of 36,573.00. Almost a 1000 miles on it, and I am very proud of it. I have owned GMC,FORD, but this is an impressive truck so far!

OP
OP
R

roudan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks guys
Can diesel engine be noisy? Quiet is vey important for us. I heard in the beginning it is ok later it will be noisy ?

Do I need to put extra weigh on the bed during winter snow driving?

OP
OP
R

roudan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Do I buy used one if I want to have higher model? Or is there high incentive when buying new?

How is ram' reliability? I searched auto trade and found 200+ used 2014 model for sale? I am living a small city. Is it bad sign that too many almost new ram on the market?

OTP539

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd buy a new one (just for the better finance rates and they are pretty close in price), just bought a 2014 express 4x4 crew cab for 30k, and it gets better gas mileage than the chevy I traded in. Not sure about diesel where you live but down here the price difference outweighs the fuel economy so I would go hemi every time.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks guys
Can diesel engine be noisy? Quiet is vey important for us. I heard in the beginning it is ok later it will be noisy ?

Extra weight in the beck deffinitly helps for snowy and icy roads! I put 200 -250 lbs in mine every winter. If you do so make sure to put it right over the rear axle!

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
Thanks guys

I got the Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Hemi 8 speed. It is amazing. Quiet, smooth rife yet firm "hd suspension." I would look for a Outdoorsman diesel or V6 if you don't plan to tow.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Do I buy used one if I want to have higher model? Or is there high incentive when buying new?

How is ram' reliability? I searched auto trade and found 200+ used 2014 model for sale? I am living a small city. Is it bad sign that too many almost new ram on the market?

Get a mega cab Laramie, loaded, 2500. Get her loaded to the gills...The Space is amazing, u wont be disappointed. I recommend the 6.4, by the way. Extra oomph.:naughty:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Reliability seems to be pretty good for the mechanical features (engine, transmission, axles, the basics.) They seem to have gotten most of the bugs worked out of the UConnect system as well. Most of the time with incentives a new truck is 1k to 2k more than a used truck, to me that is a no brained decision. Take interest rates into account and the total cost of the truck is about the same.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Reliability seems to be pretty good for the mechanical features (engine, transmission, axles, the basics.) They seem to have gotten most of the bugs worked out of the UConnect system as well. Most of the time with incentives a new truck is 1k to 2k more than a used truck, to me that is a no brained decision. Take interest rates into account and the total cost of the truck is about the same.

True, unless OP is paying Cash. Then interest rates won't be a factor. Incentives, of course are always A Factor.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Get a mega cab Laramie, loaded, 2500. Get her loaded to the gills...The Space is amazing, u wont be disappointed. I recommend the 6.4, by the way. Extra oomph.:naughty:
Sigh...price for that model is outside his budget. Although a 1500 Laramie runs what price nowdays?

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Sigh...price for that model is outside his budget. Although a 1500 Laramie runs what price nowdays?

HE Said $40. I bought mine for $46....stripped down, or perhaps a lower trim could be around $40.

I built a Longhorn Laramie 1500 came to $48. Of course nobody pays MSRP, so would be far cheaper......

Ram - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary

Just for *****, I built a SLT 2500 mega cab (the cheapest mega cab), came to $36.....well within his budget...here's that link.....sigh:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
HE Said $40. I bought mine for $46....stripped down, or perhaps a lower trim could be around $40.

I built a Longhorn Laramie 1500 came to $48. Of course nobody pays MSRP, so would be far cheaper......

Just for *****, I built a SLT 2500 mega cab (the cheapest mega cab), came to $36.....well within his budget...here's that link.....sigh:

Your links don't work but the cheapest 4x4 mega cab is almost $44k MSRP, not $36k.