Hemi swap!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tcompton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 ram 1500 with the 4.7L and i just bought a engine and tranny out of a 2010 ram 1500 5.7L hemi with wiring harness and tranny all together i did not get the ecm or pcmwith the buy i kno that i will need to buy the computers but what do you guys think about the swap or have any of you done anything like this what elese will i need the plugs and conectors look diffrent. Will the 5.7 ecm plug into my exsiting harness on my truck now will i need any diffent fuel presures, lines, etc. and what about throttle body i kno that the 5.7 has the eletric throttle or that is what i have read on here so far just any general direction or info you guys can help with would be great i own a automotive shop and im a diesel tech for caterpillar so im pretty well good on the mechanic part just anything that you guys know that could help or point me in the right direction on where to start would be great

FlyinHaYn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't read all.. But I can tell you that getting your gauges to work with the new power train is nothing short of a migraine to get to work. Good luck though!

I'd recommend better gears, and suspension for the front at least.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
4.7 and hemi Models both use the same front springs at least 03-05 years. I would think this is an excellent opportunity to use the 4.7 pcm and ditch the FBW 5.7 throttle body. Hopefully someone who has done this swap will post. Also a lot of Durango's have made this swap so that maybe a source for information. The only issue I really see is the crankshaft tone ring is different and you may have to change it. Good luck and I hope you post your progress.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly you would be better to find a Hemi out of a 03-08 truck and run it off an 03-05 PCM. Would make things simpler. They changed the PCM's bus system from a a PCI bus to the CANbus system in 06 making quite a few things like your gauges and a few other things different and incompatible with the newer computer.

Also the 09+ engines have a VVT system that the older computers have no way of running (as far as I know at least).

One thing I would recommend is talking to Chris over at hotwireauto.com he was a major help for me when I did my swap. His harnesses may not be cheap but it saved me a lot of headaches and was money well spent in my eyes. He also might know of a way to make the 09+ engine and PCM work for your truck.

I'm by no means an expert on these swaps but I did do quite a bit of reading and research into them a few years ago before I did my swap and I'll do my best to help answer any questions I can.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You kinda overshot the mark with the setup you got. Had you gotten everything complete from an 03-05 hemi ram you'd be ahead of the game. But you grabbed a 4th engine setup, CAN bus computers mating up with your PCI bus truck, the '10 engine has VVT and active intake manifold, you will have to find a way to get that PCM to integrate, gonna be alot of harness hacking. All hemis come with fly by wire, if you intend to use that engine as is you will HAVE to convert the pedal. It's going to be much more difficult than an 03-05 setup. Plenty of those swaps already running around.

OP
OP
Tcompton

Tcompton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys and yea i got a killer deal on the engine and tranny so im gonna try and see what i can do with it id love to make it fit i do kno that the gas pedal will need to be redone or if i can buy a cable conversion that would be great also im having a hard time finding a pcm for that year and model but the concetors on my truck now are the same as the ones on the hemi im puttin in. The fuse box might be a problem the conectors are the same style but i have no clue if they will plug right in im sure im gonna have to do some riggin and work

OP
OP
Tcompton

Tcompton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i got ahold of chris over at hotwire auto and he said i can swnd him my current 4.7 engine harness and engine bay wiring and he can build me a harness that plugs into the 5.7 engine along with a programmed pcm for the 5.7 engine and tranny and the harness will plug into my 4.7 pcm to work my gauges so now i just have to confirm that the engine and tranny will bolt up and not give me a hassel instaling them and it will be a good to go swap!!!! Thanks guys

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chris is a great guy from my dealings with him and very helpful. Glad he can help you out. The tranny should mount up perfectly but you might have a bit of work getting the motor mounts to work. (Could be wrong since you do have a newer truck) I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of the progress if you do get this swap on underway.

OP
OP
Tcompton

Tcompton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill deffitly keep posted and do any of you guys have a 2002 4.7 engine harrness or engine bay wiring that you would want to sale let me kno i would give him mine out of my truck but its my daily driver so i cant down it quite yet im hopein to buy another harness and send him that one to rebuild so when i get it back i can just plug and play weekend swap with my dads automotive shop

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
following this as it looks like an intriguing swap...complicated, but if you get it to work i'd think you'd be the 1st..