Hood liner getting wet after wash/rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well plugged nozzles can cause it.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What else....bad design and or cheap quality

My leak is where the 'L' shaped rubber elbow meets the hose-barb of the spray-tip in the hood. It seems to me that there isnt enough 'interference fit' between the rubber elbow and the hose-barb pointing down from the spray tip. To be honest, just looks like they misjudged on the ID diameter of the elbow versus the OD of the barb.

I talked to my dealer and they said they could try replacing the spray-tip but to be honest I dont think that will change anything unless the barb is larger. I think taking a small zip-tie and putting it on the elbow, just enough to serve as a 'hose clamp' and increase the grip on the barb would suffice. (increase the interference fit a little) They asked me if the tip was clogged (causing back-pressure) and if I had put any different fluids in the reservoir and thus far I havent. They told me there are some of these 'super bug cleaner' fluids that break down and create globs of stuff that tend to clog up those spray tips, and consequently, cause fittings to leak due to the pump hitting a restriction and getting back pressure. I told them mine sprays great ! Who knows, maybe they just mis-engineered things and have a pump that is just too big for what the 'press-on' fittings can withstand?

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah there are a lot of threads about people using rainx in the reservoir and having problems. I only use regular fluid

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Had my service appointment done today and they are going to open up a STAR case to get direction from FCA. The "tech" claims he could not find any fluid leaking from the washer fluid fittings and was "bewildered" on what it was.

I showed the service adviser lady this thread on my Phone to show I was not only one but she said they had to wait from FCA before what to do next. So I will play that game I guess and see what happens.

20151212-07.45.07.jpg

20151212-07.45.07a.jpg

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Damn bro, thats bad! I think southernboy nailed it. It seems to be running down from the top where they meet in his picture. Maybe a ziptie and some sealant for good luck? Anyone know where to find oem part #'s? Im curious to see if the nozzle and the barb are the same part # as the '14 trucks cause I havent seen any complaints from anyone except '15s ( at least not here). Its pretty odd, unless of course the part was changed (for the worse)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Damn bro, thats bad! I think southernboy nailed it. It seems to be running down from the top where they meet in his picture. Maybe a ziptie and some sealant for good luck? Anyone know where to find oem part #'s? Im curious to see if the nozzle and the barb are the same part # as the '14 trucks cause I havent seen any complaints from anyone except '15s ( at least not here). Its pretty odd, unless of course the part was changed (for the worse)

Yeah, it definitely getting worse. I am kicking myself as I had my dash cam on and intended to see what they did in the service department for looking at this but I forgot and the memory card looped over it.

I will give FCA the courtesy to attempt to fix this once but if their eventual "fix" does not hold, I will just figure it out myself and if I have to run new flexible washer fluid hose, so be it.

As to effectivity of this issue, it so far seems to limited to 2015's and Heavy Duty's which means Mexican built trucks. So it maybe a local supplier parts problem versus the USA built trucks.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

You know, while reading your post I got to thinking about something:

When running the washer pump, and the fluid is being sprayed on to the windshield, I wonder if there is any dribble of fluid hitting the hood and seeping down into the engine compartment from OUTSIDE the hood? Or maybe even rain water seeping past the spray-nozzle fitting and finding its way down and that is also dripping down on to the insulation liner?

Hmmmm, I need to do some testing later today. Right now my hood has no liner attached, so I may put a large flat piece of cardboard on top of the engine area, close the hood, and pour water from a pitcher onto the spray-nozzles to simulate a heavy rain and see how much (if any) leaks by and down into the engine area.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe a ziptie and some sealant for good luck?

I was thinking that just a touch of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive would do a good job of insuring a good seal, and would not be permanent if you ever had to pull the fittings apart in the future. (along with a zip-tie to keep a firm grip on the barb)

3M_zpsxhtsujwy.jpg

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Southernboy, idk I could be wrong but that drop running down the hose in your picture seems like it's too big/wouldn't be able to form from the outside of the hood nozzles. I was looking at it and they just seem too tight.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Southernboy, idk I could be wrong but that drop running down the hose in your picture seems like it's too big/wouldn't be able to form from the outside of the hood nozzles. I was looking at it and they just seem too tight.

Gotcha, well you are probably right, Im just throwing out thoughts trying to get our brains to thinkin' is all.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well after about a week of not hearing anything from the dealership on the supposed STAR case they were to submit, I stopped in and talked to the service adviser lady and she had no new info and said she had to check with the service manager as he is the one who submits the STAR cases to FCA according to here.

She called me back an hour later and said the service manager told her to order a new hood blanket and that they would deep dive it when they go to replace the blanket. I asked her that I thought they did that when I brought it in the first time but just got a stammering answer that they did. So I suspect the idiots never pulled back the blanket the first time and just looked for leaks without pulling it back.

So I half way suspect that when I take it in for the blanket replacement, they will have me come back in for a third time when they go to order the nozzles and/or tubing parts they should diagnosed and ordered on the first visit.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gotta love the service after the sale. I had to of course go back after they ordered everything

Well after about a week of not hearing anything from the dealership on the supposed STAR case they were to submit, I stopped in and talked to the service adviser lady and she had no new info and said she had to check with the service manager as he is the one who submits the STAR cases to FCA according to here.

She called me back an hour later and said the service manager told her to order a new hood blanket and that they would deep dive it when they go to replace the blanket. I asked her that I thought they did that when I brought it in the first time but just got a stammering answer that they did. So I suspect the idiots never pulled back the blanket the first time and just looked for leaks without pulling it back.

So I half way suspect that when I take it in for the blanket replacement, they will have me come back in for a third time when they go to order the nozzles and/or tubing parts they should diagnosed and ordered on the first visit.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay guys, this is the fix Ive decided to use. I took some aircraft safety wire and put a single strand at each connection and applied a mild compression. I started out using a ziptie but knowing how plastic gets old and breaks, and because its behind the insulation out of sight, I decided on this method. The stainless wire will never relax or break and I put just enough extra compression to make a snug fit but not so much to harm the fitting. After putting it on all fittings I gave it a very thorough test and no leaks anywhere.

Ziptie

Wiper-04_zpsnpk4z1f4.jpg

Wiper-05_zpsrtyudlwi.jpg

Safety wire

Wiper-06_zpsspv1mlvp.jpg

Wiper-07_zpsc8vkqiab.jpg

Wiper-10_zpsmzizlqjk.jpg

Wiper-11_zpsftklvmvc.jpg

Wiper-13_zpsvtm1rcdn.jpg

Wiper-14_zpsc3hjskbw.jpg

Wiper-12_zpsnyiajzrl.jpg

Wiper-15_zpsaxmcpd1d.jpg

Wiper-16_zpsmioi2hsk.jpg

Wiper-21_zpsjjan6grm.jpg

Cant say for sure this is the best way to do this, but Im gonna give it a try.

Last edited:

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
Back in post #22 I posted a picture of the liner in my 2016 HD.
I had only used the windshield washer on time since I had the truck.
I can guarantee that I have not used the windshield washer since post #22 ( 10/25/2015 ).

The liner is worse.

I can say that I do washer my truck ever Sunday. ( soapy water on the liner ? )

I dropped the liner and the back side of it is perfectly clean.

The only area that has any white residue in the engine compartment is the rubber around the hood latch ( right behind the grill ), some right behind the master cylinder, and a little on the air box.

Here are some pictures, you'll see what I mean that the back side of the liner being clean.

IMG_20151220_101759476_zpsgrmwbn7z.jpg

IMG_20151220_101808160_zpsuhpdwgnt.jpg

IMG_20151220_101819391_zpsj4cegdrt.jpg

IMG_20151220_102132761_HDR_zpskenehxsh.jpg

IMG_20151220_102353431_zpsunkywnds.jpg

IMG_20151220_102417188_zps7aaiifzl.jpg

IMG_20151220_102428157_HDR_zpsszk7mvqf.jpg

IMG_20151220_102212121_zpscz2ml9gq.jpg

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
Like I was saying. I guarantee I have not used the windshield washer at all since the last post and you can see the difference in the liner in two months.
With the liner out, i performed the spray test like others have done and my fittings and hoses are completely dry.
I have only washed the truck, so could this be another source of the liner stains ?

IMG_20151025_123827338_zpsvxegqwtn.jpg

IMG_20151220_101754496_zpsraix1oyz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Southernboy: Go to your closest ram dealer. You're hired

2robin: this is why i started this thread originally. I had to open the hood after a monster storm (after rain stopped). It had allowed water all inside the engine compartment. It was even in my light under the hood. They had to replace that too cause it got wet! It was holding moisture by the bulb inside the cover. One day i tried just holding a running water hose where the windshield meets the hood opening. You might notice its not the best seal there. You might notice water getting inside the engine compartment when its closed at other points too IDK.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
2robinhood does bring up a good point. At this stage, I do not not know if it the theory of the washer fluid is valid or if it is from washing? I have maybe hand washed my vehicle 4 times withing the last 6 months and only use my washer fluid maybe once a week.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2robinhood does bring up a good point. At this stage, I do not not know if it the theory of the washer fluid is valid or if it is from washing? I have maybe hand washed my vehicle 4 times withing the last 6 months and only use my washer fluid maybe once a week.

Yeah, I will agree also Im not sure where this stuff was coming from at this point, but my passenger side fitting WAS leaking so at least I know I have that tended to.

My dealer has me a new liner ordered and we are planning on putting it in very soon. If theres any build-up on the liner after this, I am confident its not the wiper washer, but something else.

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I just noticed these same white marks on my liner yesterday. My truck 2015 2500 is only a month old and I know I only used the washer fluid once since I've owned it. Guess I'll have to check the washer fluid lines.