Hood Silencer replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody have any luck finding a cheap oem or aftermarket hood silencer replacement. It's the pad on the underside of the hood. Mine is a bit rough. I'd paint it with cloth paint, but the material has also deteriorated around a few of the clips, causing it to sag as well. I'd like a new one, 55365080AE or 55365080AD, and am ok paying $100, but $300+ for shipping is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check with Benny here on forum for best price if you have not already. All mopar parts.
Good call, but I'm thinking shipping is going to kill the deal. Thanks for the suggestion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I wouldn't even bother getting a new one .... a lot of people are actually removing them and doing a custom paint job on the inside of the hood .... I am going to probably remove mine and do a custom design on mine this summer ... save your money and use it on something else ...

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeaaaaaaah, I was hoping to avoid the junkyard lol. I'd prefer to not have to strap up and head to the city for a piece of cloth lol.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man that is pretty sad that the need for that is actually real lol ...
Yeah, STL isn't towards the top of the list for most dangerous cities in the world by murder rate for no reason lol. It's gotten quite a bit worse since covid. Daytime car jackings and shootings are pretty common. Lots of random gunfire as well.

When I was 16, I actually got robbed in the Uwrench-it parking lot. Dude jumped in my car as I was leaving. He tried selling me fake hash and when I told him to ****, it went south real quick. Never been back. I certainly have no problem protecting myself 20 years later, but the risk reward here isn't worth it. My truck is too nice and a magnet for trouble lol. Made the mistake of drinking too much downtown a few years back and had to leave my truck down there overnight. Someone tried breaking in of course and ruined my handle and dented my door.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Benny said no go on getting it through them. Too expensive to ship and prone to damage.

I did just find out Mopar factory parts is 10 minutes from me. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they'll be kind enough to throw it on one of their order trucks and let me pick

You could use a sound deadening material like this. I think dynamat makes a version of it as well

Edit: Dynamat hoodliner
I did think about that. Not necessarily going for function, more for a clean look.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dynomat makes an insulation product for this specific purpose. Looks pretty decent too, just a flat black foam insulation.

I have removed this on all of my previous trucks when it fell apart though. Just ditch it! It doesn't really do much if anything.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Dynomat makes an insulation product for this specific purpose. Looks pretty decent too, just a flat black foam insulation.

I have removed this on all of my previous trucks when it fell apart though. Just ditch it! It doesn't really do much if anything.
Yeep and do a custom paint job on it yourself with some spray cans lol ... a lot of people are putting so much cool stuff on their hood interiors ...hell I am thinking of doing it to mine lol

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could be bs but I have heard this for years so who knows.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
could be bs but I have heard this for years so who knows.
It does help prevent the paint on the good from premature failure and also a fire blanket ... but again by that time if your engine catches fire it's going to burn anyways, I have seen tons of vehicles burned and they had the hood silencer ...

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, STL isn't towards the top of the list for most dangerous cities in the world by murder rate for no reason lol. It's gotten quite a bit worse since covid. Daytime car jackings and shootings are pretty common. Lots of random gunfire as well.

When I was 16, I actually got robbed in the Uwrench-it parking lot. Dude jumped in my car as I was leaving. He tried selling me fake hash and when I told him to ****, it went south real quick. Never been back. I certainly have no problem protecting myself 20 years later, but the risk reward here isn't worth it. My truck is too nice and a magnet for trouble lol. Made the mistake of drinking too much downtown a few years back and had to leave my truck down there overnight. Someone tried breaking in of course and ruined my handle and dented my door.

Ah... St. Louis. I moved away 4 years ago. The only thing I miss are the Cards!

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
It's just $140 msrp, just order it from your local dealer. No shipping. I have a parts guy that comes pretty close most of the time to price matching online dealer prices so worth asking

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I rip them off just about everything I own. A couple of years of winters here and they get grubby and ugly.

I keep vehicles on average about 10 years and have never seen my paint fade on the hood or had any other issues with it being removed what-so-ever.

I am pretty sure I could find something better to spend a $140.00 on.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeaaaaaaah, I was hoping to avoid the junkyard lol. I'd prefer to not have to strap up and head to the city for a piece of cloth lol.
Agreed....I never relish the the trek into No Man's Land from Franklin county...especially for a piece of cloth!!!

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just keep the bourbon stocked up and drink it home...with friends you can trust!!