How do I know if my 5.7 has MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bilgsmf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie
Engine
5.7 v8 hemi
I'm pretty sure my Laramie's 5.7 does not have MDS, bc I do not have any indication on my dashboard that my MDS is on or off or engaged. So i'm guessing thats the case?

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Your truck has MDS. Sometimes the indication (ECO) light gets disabled in the truck settings. Don't remember if its on the EVIC or the Uconnect system.

EDIT: Unless previous owner deleted your MDS of course.

Last edited:

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I'm confident it does in mine
I thought I read somewhere that on the 4th gens. the eco light comes on with light acceleration, less than 20%, after a certain speed. It is not on at idle. I have mine off with a hp tune & the light still comes on when I let of the gas.
I still lock transmission when driving local, to keep rpm’ up a little bit & out of habit.
I’m pretty sure that is different on the 5th gens, that they are tied together, but not positive either way.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The MDS is not indicated on any truck.
Put your vin in the Vin Search for a copy of the window sticker

Do you (or anyone) have the link for the VIN search?
I know I bookmarked and saved it as I have used it several
times, but I can't locate it now.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. Here are 2 links, one for the window sticker... https://windowstickerlookup.com/

And for the equipment listing, both require the VIN...

Last edited:

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
supposedly all Hemis since 2005 have MDS. Mine show a green "eco" at the upper left of the dash. Not that it does any good saving gas. There are ways to turn if off, not sure how myself.

there's a few videos on youtube about this and several ways to turn it off...temporarily or permanently

Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
supposedly all Hemis since 2005 have MDS. Mine show a green "eco" at the upper left of the dash. Not that it does any good saving gas. There are ways to turn if off, not sure how myself.

there's a few videos on youtube about this and several ways to turn it off...temporarily or permanently
I though the HD frames were excluded from this ?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

How to turn off idiot eco light:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure my Laramie's 5.7 does not have MDS, bc I do not have any indication on my dashboard that my MDS is on or off or engaged. So i'm guessing thats the case?
Unless somebody ripped into the truck and replaced all the stock MDS componets with non-mds, your truck came stock and has MDS.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Once again, there is confusion about the MDS light. This thread is in the 4th gen section, and on 4th gens (and 2019+ Classic), the ECO light does not indicate that MDS is active. It often comes on when MDS does, but the two are not tied together. But on 5th gens, the ECO light (when not disabled) does come on when MDS is active. The two are tied together.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's no mds solenoids or even the wiring for them,left in my 4th gen,and the eco light still comes on in it.
The hemi has had mds right from when it was introduced in 03,the engine was designed from word go with mds.
Some of the earlier HD trucks with the 5.7 were mds delete,but pretty well every other vehicle with an automatic transmission has mds.The exception being the 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers with the 6 speed manual transmission,they don't have mds.
The cams are differant from a MDS cam and a non-MDS cam,and of the course the MDS lifters are differant from a non-MDS lifter.When Ma Mopar deletes the MDS,she also replaces the MDS solenoids with plastic plugs that allows full oil flow to the lifters,as running a MDS engine,in non-MDS mode cuts oil flow to the lifters.If you're one of the guys who likes to defeat the MDS by running it with 8th showing on the EVIC,just be forewarned,you're cutting oil flow to the lifters,which isn't really a wise decision .
Every Hemi from 09 up has VVT / variable valve timing.
From 09 up all 5.7 and 6.4 trucks and 6.4 cars have had the variable intake manifold with a long runner intake for torque,and it switches over to a short runner intake roughly in the 4,000 to 4200 rpm range,the exception to that are the car 5.7's ,which don't have the dual runner intake,they just employ a long runner intake. They also employ a differant cam,from the truck 5.7's because of the intake manifold

Last edited:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once again, there is confusion about the MDS light. This thread is in the 4th gen section, and on 4th gens (and 2019+ Classic), the ECO light does not indicate that MDS is active. It often comes on when MDS does, but the two are not tied together. But on 5th gens, the ECO light (when not disabled) does come on when MDS is active. The two are tied together.
Thanks for clearing that up. My apologies for any confusion on the 4th & 5th gens.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought I read somewhere that on the 4th gens. the eco light comes on with light acceleration, less than 20%, after a certain speed. It is not on at idle. I have mine off with a hp tune & the light still comes on when I let of the gas.
I still lock transmission when driving local, to keep rpm’ up a little bit & out of habit.
I’m pretty sure that is different on the 5th gens, that they are tied together, but not positive either way.
I was incorrect. I own a 5th gen so eco light indicates MDS engaged.

Sorry if I confused you.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just listen to the exhaust sound when driving at a steady speed around 25 mph. It will have a slight blubbering sound with a stock exhaust system, or like a helicopter with a loud aftermarket muffler.
But when you give it a little gas it will smooth out. I only mentioned 25 mph is because there will be less wind noise. Thought I would say this before the trolls came in and wined about 25 mph has nothing to do with it. :)
But if it is a stick shift there will be no MDS.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was incorrect. I own a 5th gen so eco light indicates MDS engaged.

Sorry if I confused you.
Confused me too (4th Gen here) so I checked it this morning.
Sure enough, with ECO showing in my EVIC, I could get the ECO indication to go "off" and then back "on" just by pressing the +/-buttons. No change to speed, accel, etc.

That said, at just 35mph I could feel the MDS running my 5.7 on 4 cylinders no matter what the light said. I consider MDS on my truck to be pretty smooth but I can pick up on it anytime I'm paying attention to it.

Either way, I am almost daily surprised by how much I learn just lurking and reading through, so thanks to all; those with questions and those with answers. Even correct v incorrect leads to interesting conversations.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
When you're driving in-town in lower speeds, especially in traffic... when you feel the shudder and lag, and a general sense of WTF... that's MDS.

In my opinion, MDS does nothing to better fuel economy and is only a detriment to ones driving experience and transmission as it's hunting to find a happy engine rpm based on load.
I just can't stand MDS and see no need for it whatsoever.

I have excellent fuel economy (or as best as possible in my HEMI..lol) and always put my truck in 8 on the EVIC.

All 8 HEMI cylinders, All the time ;) (my personal opinion only though).