How do I know if my 5.7 has MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
just read a big dispute over this in another forum. Some guys believe this to be true, while others strongly disagree. (that lifters are not being oiled when mds is off) Some have said they turned theirs off from the start of owning their trucks and never had a problem. I haven't read anyone having lifter issues because mds was turned off. So, it seems its a theory right now.

I know there's a video on YT and the guy claims the lifters went bad because mds was turned off, but it was his theory, since hemis are/were notorious for lifter issues anyway.

So, if anyone here can honestly make a claim they had lifter issues went bad because mds was turned off, they should post it. I find it had to believe that the hemi was designed NOT to sufficiently oil lifters, because even when towing a heavy load, the mds isn't working...and that's a time when you want your engine oil flowing.

MDS was created to make a large engine, like a hemi, allegedly be more fuel efficient. I stated in a post that i turned mine off today for a 50 mile ride and i actually got better fuel economy and a more responsive truck, but, if you bought a truck with a hemi, fuel economy should not really be a major concern. As i was once told: "A hemi will pass anything on the highway, except for the next gas station"

My understanding about the lifter/cam issue was due to poor oil flow due to the VVT having the cam raised higher in the block and lower set idle rpm.

HEMI engines from 2009 and later with either MDS and non-MDS have had lifter/cam failures.

So, I'm not convinced that selecting 8th gear manually/tow haul mode overriding the MDS function will make any difference.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Uncle Tony also has a good video,that's worth watching if you haven't seen it. It shows the downfall of the redesigned 09 and later VVT block. It also shows why one of the best benefits to oiling the lifters is to up the idle rpm,and drive the engine in an aggressive manner,as the oil flung off the crank,is still where the the lifter roller and cam lobe receive the majority of their lubrication

^^^This^^^

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My understanding about the lifter/cam issue was due to poor oil flow due to the VVT having the cam raised higher in the block and lower set idle rpm.

HEMI engines from 2009 and later with either MDS and non-MDS have had lifter/cam failures.

So, I'm not convinced that selecting 8th gear manually/tow haul mode overriding the MDS function will make any difference.
The downside to shutting off oil flow to the lifter bores,is if you start to get scuffing on the side of the lifter,if that happens usually the lifter bore should be re-bushed,before you stick a new lifter in that hole. Raising the cam tunnel didn't help matters,but the bigger issue is the fact they placed an oil gallery to feed the VVT sprocket , right under the cam.
The way the later blocks are laid out,they have a built in flaw that is engineered to shorten the life expectancy of the engine.You can't tell me,they didn't know raising the cam tunnel and restricting the amount of crank splash that makes it's way to the cam lobes and lifter roller wasn't a designed in flaw to create repeat customers.
Just my thoughts,but anybody with an eye and a a$$hole could see what they did would also shorten the life expectancy of the cam / engine.
That was Ma Mopar looking out for the customer :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The downside to shutting off oil flow to the lifter bores,is if you start to get scuffing on the side of the lifter,if that happens usually the lifter bore should be re-bushed,before you stick a new lifter in that hole. Raising the cam tunnel didn't help matters,but the bigger issue is the fact they placed an oil gallery to feed the VVT sprocket , right under the cam.
The way the later blocks are laid out,they have a built in flaw that is engineered to shorten the life expectancy of the engine.You can't tell me,they didn't know raising the cam tunnel and restricting the amount of crank splash that makes it's way to the cam lobes and lifter roller wasn't a designed in flaw to create repeat customers.
Just my thoughts,but anybody with an eye and a a$$hole could see what they did would also shorten the life expectancy of the cam / engine.
That was Ma Mopar looking out for the customer :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

Yep!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The OP mentioned an "dummy light" (eco) indication. My 2017 RAM 5.7 HEMI Express does not show anything being in an "fuel economy mode", never has and I haven't turned anything off.

I can hear when the MDS pulls on at lower speeds along with the slight sluggish feel and that's all.

My 2009 and 2011 RAM 5.7 HEMI engines did show on the dash that there was an ECO light indicator. Both of my 2014's also were like my 2017 ...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You have the capability to go back and edit your post(s)? I do ...

And I frequently do, for grammar, typos, etc. In this case I think the best "edit" would be to delete and re-write.

My concern was the unknown around the number of folks who may have already seen/read it.

Anytime I go back and change something I do this...

EDIT:

Except I don't use bold or yellow.
Mostly I make my corrections public.
Mostly. :rolleyes: