How do I remove the glass from the side mirrors and access the puddle light wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Like the topic says, I was hoping someone can tell me how to remove the glass from the side mirrors and get to the wiring for the puddle light through the mirror assembly.

I added LED strip light to the rocker panels on both side of the truck to provide more lighting in the dark of the nerf bars and surrounding area, and hopefully prevent me from stepping in any more dog poo. Unfortunatley the nerf bars block a good amount of light, otherwise these would have been perfect. With the lack of function I feel the lights scream "hey look at me! I need more attention, so I added random LEDs to my truck". I plan on relocating these to the bed to serve more of a purpose.

So for the reason of this post... Rummaging through Pep Boys the other day I found a little LED light made to be used as a dome light (pic below). It was bright as heck in the store, but couldn't really be sure till I got it in the dark. So I bought one to try out at night, figuring I could return it if it sucked. I was quite pleased when I tried it out that night! It really is a bright ****** What I would like to do is with a little weather proofing, double side tape one of these things to the underside of each mirror, drill a small hole in the bottom of the mirror housing and run the wires to the puddle lights.

If anyone can help me figure out how to do this or have any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
J

Jeff816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
This is a pic of the LED strip lights as they are now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 120

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't help you on the light you bought for the mirror, but I was going to suggest putting your LED's for the steps down under the truck a little bit more. There are a couple of threads about this same idea. One of them, you can't see the LED's at all from standing out next to the truck. They light up his steps, and the ground all around the truck. They are red lights on a black truck. Looks really good. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it back here.

EDIT1** Here's one of the threads: http://www.ramforum.com/f41/bed_lig..._mount_reverse_light_install_pic_heavy-66687/

EDIT2** I can't seem to find the thread I was originally talking about. Hopefully one of these guys will chime in and can give you some ideas of where to mount your LED's to do what your wanting them to do.

EDIT3** Found it! http://www.ramforum.com/f41/my_runn...d_bed_lighting_mod_other_lighting_mods-62168/ :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeff816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Thanks! Im still determined to do the mirror thing, but may reconsider if I dont figure it out soon.

OP
OP
J

Jeff816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Yep, those flush mount Rigids look pretty awesome! Pretty much what I was originally trying to accomplish.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Damn, that's a GOOD write up.

I know want to use it so I can change my puddle lamps to brighter ones.
Make sure you use WD-40 like the write up says. I went at this today to add cameras to the mirrors and found out the hard way. If you don't lubricate those two top clips before attempting to remove the glass you WILL damage the power mirrors.

Unlike his write up though, I had to use only a T15 torx for all screws inside and the one underneath.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mcheath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using the WD40 was someone else's idea I read someplace, I'd give proper credit if I could remember who to thank for that tip. It makes the mirror removal real easy.