how many dealer trips before the lemon law kiks in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've got a 2015 5.7 that has 3500 miles on it and its been at the dealer 4 times in 9 days for the same issue and they still have no clue what is going on (gas gauge) I was wondering how many times I have to do this before I can start thinking about the lemon law?

Last edited:

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I believe every state it different so you would need to look it up and see. I think here in PA, it's 3 trips for the same issue.

Adam

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In WA I believe it is 3 attempted repairs. Not just 3 visits. Need to look into your state laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
im pretty sure its 3 attempted fixes in most places. It would be kind of ridiculous if someone could just take something back 3 times saying there is something wrong when there isnt then just lemon law it

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
id rather not get a different truck but considering that the 3 top mechanics at the dealer and Chrysler spending the whole day messing with it and still don't know it could be time to go a different way since they say it has no codes but they all witnessed it happen but still look like they are lost you would think they could figure it out

6 Speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet, but: 2016
Engine
Not yet, but: Cummins with 6 speed manual
id rather not get a different truck but considering that the 3 top mechanics at the dealer and Chrysler spending the whole day messing with it and still don't know it could be time to go a different way since they say it has no codes but they all witnessed it happen but still look like they are lost you would think they could figure it out

I totally agree, and nothing irks me more.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

take it to a different dealer or a good well known shop that can do a free diagnosis on it then take it to a dealer to get fixed for free.
The dealer your going to is obviously filled with incompetent mechanics. If they were competent they would reflash the truck and if that didn't work they would check/replace every part involved with the gauge.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
take it to a different dealer or a good well known shop that can do a free diagnosis on it then take it to a dealer to get fixed for free.
The dealer your going to is obviously filled with incompetent mechanics. If they were competent they would reflash the truck and if that didn't work they would check/replace every part involved with the gauge.

I would agree with this. My wife had a 2000 Blazer that the seat would never settle fully, so it would "jump" in and out of location settings when she would stop and takeoff (scared the #$#@ out of her). We took it to a certain dealer 3 times with no solution. Took it to a different dealer and it was fixed on the first try.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am currently going thru the lemon law process. If you have had it in the delership 3 times for the same problem then send in your Lemon Law paperwork. Don't wait. Ram and their inhouse group ISG are very slow about doing anything. Mine went in for its 3rd repair attempt in Dec 2015 and I still do not have my replacement truck. I am hopeful it will be this week but you never know. Also if anyone talks about "compensation" for your troubles do not believe it, just go ahead with the legal paperwork.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've got a 2015 5.7 that has 3500 miles on it and its been at the dealer 4 times in 9 days for the same issue and they still have no clue what is going on (gas gauge) I was wondering how many times I have to do this before I can start thinking about the lemon law?

If you'd like to PM me your VIN and dealership information I can look into this a little further for you.

TapRackBang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

IMO, try to lemon law it and get away from FCA trash!

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
its just the gas gauge reading what it wants sometimes they are puting a pcm in it because they are stupid cause it doesn't show any codes .its not a major issue but I'm getting tired of taking to them every other day.

mikegmi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In Michigan it is 4 times. Keep all paperwork from your dealership, file a BBB claim online, and go through the process. I have done this twice with vibrating Silverados.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
In Michigan it is 4 times. Keep all paperwork from your dealership, file a BBB claim online, and go through the process. I have done this twice with vibrating Silverados.

What is BBB going to do?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This was my thought too. If the truck really is a lemon, why try and bad mouth the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBB only works if said dealership is a member and "chooses" to reply or accommodate a BBB inquiry. Their heyday was the 1980's and back and have little influence today in most places. They have no statutory authority to require anything of a BBB member business.

Many dealerships and businesses will laugh if you throw the "BBB" card because they know that 99.9% of consumers never check with the BBB before a major purchase and usually it is after the fact when it is too late.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
like others stated it depends on stated, but most are 3 attempts to fix/repair (an appt for a diagnose doesnt count) or 30 days total at the dealer.

what all have they tried besides the pcm? new guage? sending unit?

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
like others stated it depends on stated, but most are 3 attempts to fix/repair (an appt for a diagnose doesnt count) or 30 days total at the dealer.

what all have they tried besides the pcm? new guage? sending unit?

resetting it and a new pcm that's it

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say contact a lemon law lawyer they will give you the best advice. since they really havent done anything until now with the pcm replacement they other two may not count for lemon but i may be wrong. they can tell you the best.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I took a 2006 Ford Ranger through the lemon law process in MN. The Attorney General's office had a process but recommended that I go through the BBB process as well - dual track. This was all after sending several letters to Ford documenting the issues. The BBB assigned someone to work on my case. In the end, this person was essentially brokering the deal for me with Ford (not the dealership, but Ford). Ford kept offering little bits and I kept asking for my money back. I turned down probably three or four offers for extended warranties and whatnot before they offered to take back my 2006 and give me a brand new 2007, minus a deduction for mileage. All in all, I got a new and better truck and they only deducted about $900 for the 13k miles I'd put on the old truck. The BBB did a lot of the work for me.

My 2015 RAM had multiple problems as well - more than 10 repairs in the first few months. I started down the lemon law road but never started the process, meaning I wrote a letter to Chrysler. They assigned someone to my case and eventually gave me the everything-included extended warranty. All issues have now been resolved and I got their premium extended warranty.

Never be afraid to fight with them when you aren't getting what you paid good $$ for!

P.S. the lemon law can also apply (at least in MN) when the value of the vehicle is impaired. That was my argument. Even though they eventually fixed all issues, I argued that no reasonable person would buy my truck if I showed them the maintenance record. The re-sale value was greatly impaired.