How Much do you Love or Hate your 4 Gen?

Satisfaction with your 4 gen Ram?

• 1-2 ...how come I can't put a zero, I hate this thing.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 3-4 ...not very satisfied with Ram

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 5-6 ...it is ok but plenty room for improvement

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 7-8 ...I really like the Ram

Votes: 123 38.2%
  • 9-10...the best I've owned

Votes: 165 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
With just about 2500 miles I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I can say this is most luxurious ride I've ever had. This Longhorn has such soft supple leather, and I have had "luxury brands". Still think the Alpine stereo is not quite up to par for the cost of the vehicle though. First time truck owner and really enjoying it.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I also have a 15 wrangler. The EPA and whomever is in charge of making safety features mandatory will force Fiats hand in messing with the wrangler.

Part of its appeal to people that own jeeps is the character that comes with it. The creeks. The rattles. The safety concerns LOL. It's all part of being part of the jeep club and only jeepers understand. Still one of the only true basic vehicles you can buy. Love them and hope they stick to tradition. Even the fancy JK trims were a little much for me [emoji12]. Mine had power windows and that was luxury ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willllburrrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just traded in my 2013 F150 for a 2017 Laramie Longhorn Limited and only have a few hundred miles on the truck so I'm still in my honeymoon phase so FWIW here are a couple of observations. The Dodge feels like a more solid truck, closing the driver door on the F150 you could see the outside panel actually flex when the door closed, not so with the Dodge. The interior is quieter then the F150 and so far I like the Uconnect far better than the Ford Sync. IMHO the Dodge is a sharper looking truck than the F150.

jk6672

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Well, my wife liked my F-150 better, only for the ride. It rode like a car. My 3500 is my favorite truck to date, and now that I have some 37's, 2.5 pin top Carli suspension she likes it better. It still rides like a truck (which I like), but those King shocks make all the difference.

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love my truck. My issue is the "clunk" that appeared after a software update. Slow down near stop or at takeoff, get a thump(in another post). Otherwise, love the ride, power, & room. Had a '96, '00(aqua color) & now '16 Big blue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Turning 120K on my '10 hemi crew 4x4. Like many here, I have owned several vehicles. This is by far the best. The power, the style...the mods lol. I have the SLT trim, and made many improvements. I get guys telling me all the time it looks brand new. Last week I took a buddy to lunch. On our way we were sitting at a light, he was rattling off all the reasons why he was a Ford man. The light turned green, I burried the accelerator and threw him into his seat....he recovered and said, "man but that Hemi!"

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love my truck and it's my second. First was a 2015 outdoorsman, drove it 2 years and traded it for 2017 Longhorn. Best truck on the road IMHO.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ford guy who got suckered into a ram. Horrible gas milage, but I have zero complaints. 10x the truck any ford or Chevy could offer me.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going from a 2001 F150 SuperCrew 5.4l 2wd truck with 202,000 miles in December of 2012 to my Ram I was satisfied that I went with it instead of another F150 but not giddy. I love the looks, I love the space, 4wd, power, all enough for what I want/need/use a truck for. And, the same or better mileage to boot from a bigger, heavier vehicle.

But... first thing out the temp rtd was off by 20*F and needed recalibration. Then the exhaust leaks started at around 23,000 miles, the 8.4 software bugged up and my bluetooth, XM, and am/fm was inoperable until I could get in for a flash, which the dealership was adamant about charging me for and I was equally adamant about Not being charged on a New vehicle.

Something was causing the 12v outlet on the left side of the dash compartment to randomly not work. I would plug my cell phone adapter in and it might charge and it might not. The dealer got ****** with me about changing a fuse when I brought that up and didn't even want to put it on the repair order. They finally did and now it works just fine.

My lumbar support control dims the headlights when I try to decrease support, but the support doesn't change. Something is shorting out and have only used that button a handful of times in 4-1/2 years.

Then a message to 'service electronic braking system' or something to that effect that took out my traction control and cruise control functions... and another trip to the dealer...

Then after that repair the radio would randomly change from XM to AM and dump presets.. and another trip to the dealer..

The dash light flicker that a lot of people get I get also, but not just when the headlights are on. Its happening during the daytime now and the dealer says its going out and they can replace it for $700 plus labor. My response? EFFF THAT!

The gear selector button on the shift lever could have better sensitivity. It has the 'click' feel to it when I want to manually downshift but I have to practically press the button into the shift lever to get contact and a resulting downshift, and then the delay makes it difficult to determine if its going to downshift at all. How about 'one click, one gear' FCA??

The space under the rear seat is useless for carrying long guns. I loved my F150 for that and could easily fit two soft cases under the back seat. I knew it was not a large space when I bought and would would like to see that feature, I mean how many of us actually hunt and travel with gear? Yes, lots of us.

I had a misfire several months back and turned out it was a corroded coil which looked like it came out of the ocean. None of the others looked anything like it, all clean.

Now it has the tick and I'm waiting to hear from my mechanic. Only 112,000 miles and my old F150 didn't get new plugs, ball joints or anything until past 125,000 miles.

Oh, almost forgot, I selected the OTA firmware update for the 8.4 and it is stuck in update limbo where it did not complete the process and goes to the update screen usually within 5 minutes of startup. After it sits with the key out for a while, 15-20 minutes, or overnigth, I'll get the main screen back but within minutes it tries to reload the update again and then hangs up. From what I read on here it could be a few Months before the fix is ready.

So... It does its job but, smdh, meh...

Couple more things came to mind, was driving two years ago January and the truck died, dash lights, everything went dark, dead as hell. Nothing. Coasted into a parking lot and in the middle of a driveway I ran out of momentum and put it in park and turned the key off. The key would then NOT turn clockwise to try and start the truck. Also, cannot take it out of park to move the effing POS. Turns out the key receptacle failed and it cost me a night in a hotel and $480 at the north Omaha Ram dealership. Juuuuust a couple thousand miles out of warranty.

and now it sounds like the effing engine is going to explode. One day it was nice and quiet and then upon a startup sounded like a fukcing log chain got caught in the crankshaft.

So, after I figure out wth is going on in the engine I'm going to re-read this whole post and ask myself why should I keep it. I have a short memory for the trouble its given and until I started adding it all up it didn't seem like much. But... now that I look at all the issues I can see its had more trouble in 112,000 miles than my 01 F150 and my old '95 Stratus ES did and both went just over 200,000 miles before I traded them. More trouble in 112,000 miles than two vehicles had in 405,000 miles.

Update 08-07-2017
Dealer quoted $5400 to replace broken valvetrain parts and the camshaft, no guarantee on the bottom end and $9300 to replace the engine. Jasper wants $4800 for an engine if I buy it and a local shop will buy the same engine and install it for $7200 plus tax and incidentals.

Waiting for a return call from Chrysler Care since the truck has only 112,000 miles. Praying they give warranty assistance of some form..

If not, pretty good chance I'm done with RAM. smdh

Edit: After several conversations with a very nice Chrysler Care rep we settled on $4000 out of my pocket and Chrysler picked up the balance for a new engine. I'm not overly pleased with that because I don't believe there should have been any reason for the engine to not go 200,000 + before having ANY sort of trouble like this. But at some point you realize 1) your truck is sitting in a dealer lot, 2) it aint going to fix itself, 3) Chrysler could pull the deal off the table if I keep arguing, 4) the truck I'm leasing because I need a truck is costing me money every day I'm not in my own vehicle.

Pretty much over a barrel and $4000 I didn't really have to spend, but its done. The new motor is in, cannot tell any difference from the old motor and hope when its time to trade or sell the truck isn't looked at negatively because of the new engine. Buyers will look for any reason to discount a vehicle and with any major work there is bound to be some skepticism as to why the truck needed a motor and a question as to how I drove and cared for it.

Last thing, 8 weeks after the new motor went in I had trouble starting the truck, like a dead battery. Opened the hood and swear on a Bible the pos battery cable was not tight. The battery had to come out to replace the engine. Dealer basically said 'not our problem'.

And then the starter failed. Could high current due to a poor connection cause that? I'll never know but a tow and new starter at a different dealership I trust was $500 more bucks.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

kw_rc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just clicked over 104,000mi on my 2012.
I still love it, no major problems, and the only minor problem was a broken manifold bolt that the service tech identified during an oil change and fixed under warranty.

Exact experience for me. My 2012 Laramie Longhorn 1500 has been flawless. It's a gorgeous truck that i still enjoy looking at. I'm approaching 95k miles. Believe it or not I have yet to service the brakes! Impressiveby my standards.

Pedal Commander is next and cant wait to see how it works. A fast follower will be to swap out the 3.55s for some 4.10s. Then I'll top it off with Mufflex 24 and she'll be even more perfect.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 2011 1500 its a bit basic in the interior but i could only afford the ST trim but i love the towing capacity for how well it pulls my horses and my horses arent the only things that got some Gittyup :naughty:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the look,power, sound, interior comfort of my truck...... however I'm beginning to hate the constant erection I have while driving my truck, it's getting to where my underwear is either stretched out or has dickholes in it.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I love my 2011 1500 its a bit basic in the interior but i could only afford the ST trim but i love the towing capacity for how well it pulls my horses and my horses arent the only things that got some Gittyup :naughty:

I have the ST version interior. Coming from a SLT not much of a difference. The fancy interiors just have more sensors and more chances of electronic gremlins that could appear. I like my trucks basic and my jeeps basic [emoji6]. The exterior of the black express is a prefect combo of style and basic equipment. My kinda truck ! My buddy has a Laramie long horn limited and I still prefer my truck with bench seat in the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About 6 weeks into ownership of my '14 CPO. About 2K on the clock. I don't hate it, but I really am missing my Dakota. The RAM is comfortable and capable, but I haven't managed to feel intimate with it at all. I still have the feeling of being disconnected from the road. My Wife's Outback seems to ride more sportscar like than the RAM. I'm in for the long haul and will be accepting of the foibles but whenever I see a 2nd gen Dakota 4X4 I get heart palpitations!

I'm one of those 5-6 voters. I'm not getting rid of the truck under any circumstances, until death us do part! My wife loves it and I always have my '02 Miata to unwind with!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Almost 89% ABOVE a 7.

Unreal.

Who else can claim this ?

Ram should be happy with this, I would have thought lower satisfaction due to some of the issues. But these are great trucks.

Maybe Ford or Maybe Toyota would have like numbers.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Almost 89% ABOVE a 7.

Unreal.

Who else can claim this ?

Your on a board for like minded enthusiast. I recall a similar tally on a motorcycle forum I frequent for that particular euro brand. we are mostly there cause we like the product and vote accordingly.

This will be offset of course by people looking for answers to problems they are having, but those are generally a hit and miss, come and go type so I think the majority of the folks are just people who like their trucks on a forum for that truck so that number is not unusual. Would it be the same for Ford on a ford forum who know, I mean ford outsells Ram by a ridiculous amount and as such have many more owners with the potential to have more unhappy folks.. who knows.

Right now, I'm in the like it but not love it category, if my issues get resolved, I may jump up to the love it category, if not.. then it will go down the road and get replaced by another ford product, probably an f 250 gasser.
But I want to try really hard to get the thing ironed out first. only one trip to the dealer to get it resolved and its not fair to give up on it yet.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
burp

Hemi395