How should I handle this scenario?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know another oblivious question.

Lets say a car broke down,and it legit couldn't start. Can It just be put in neutral,and have me pull it with my truck? If so,where do I tie it from?

happend today, and we had to manually push it.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Frame of the tow vehicle, just remeber, you are the brakes for both

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The other issue is - will the other car still have brakes/steering? It will be very hard to steer and brake if the engine isn't running at all.

Take it really slow. Try to hook on to a tow point or the frame of the vehicle you are towing.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't pull too far or too fast as the spinning rear axle will spin the drive shaft and move the internals of the transmission while the pump is NOT pressurizing the fluid, which can lead to damaging the transmission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I know squat about cars.remember my rpm question,me neither.

It was a mustang.
If you look on the front bumper there should be a square piece that pops out and hook that would "usually" be with your spare tire and that and threads in behind that removable piece.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the frame of the tow vehicle...... just remeber, the tow vehicle is pretty much the brakes for both

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
If you can find one, put your chain or strap thru a steel pipe at least 3 inch diameter and thicker walls (not exhaust pipe). When you put on the brakes, the towed vehicle will close the gap between you and it until the chain tightens against the pipe and you both can stop with your brakes. It will also save you if the person in the towed vehicle doesn't brake hard enough. Just saying!

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't pull too far or too fast as the spinning rear axle will spin the drive shaft and move the internals of the transmission while the pump is NOT pressurizing the fluid, which can lead to damaging the transmission.

You are totally right!:favorites13:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I unfortuneitly know what being towed is like.... As stated don't flat tow very far as could damage transmission. Hook to the frame or k member. Best thing to do is be on the phone with the car in tow. Brakes and steering will be hard but it will be up to the person being towed to keep tension. Also best way is to try and let the vehicle that's in tow do most of the braking as that will keep the slack tight and limit the amount of jerking around And helps keep the car from bumping the tow vehicle. Good luck and take it slow.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do yourself a favor and sign up for Allstate motorclub for $10/month and get unlimited towing service

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I'd handle it just like you did.

Push it to safety then call it a day.

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Do yourself a favor and sign up for Allstate motorclub for $10/month and get unlimited towing service

Yep, if you and your tow buddy are not experienced at this.....so many things can go so wrong so fast (speaking from experience, both good and bad). How much are you fixin' to gamble on this endeavor, how much you save on a tow vs how much **** could get screwed up?

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Towing and recovering with your truck is a can of worms. When you have the right gear and are comfortable using it you still run the risk of going from nice guy to bad guy in a hurry.

With some hesitation I'll hook up to vehicles with hitches or tow hooks if I'm comfortable the other party is clear on the plan and seems able to follow.

With extra effort you might get me to hook up to a beater. The height difference between our trucks attachment points and a car frame don't set us up for success. Anything nice you might be lucky enough to sit in my warn dry truck and wait for a pro but chances are you're on your own.

OP
OP
H

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Great now the carwash scratched my truck.
I'll post it now.
I think I have the worst luck.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would not do tow a car without a car dolly or trailer. Even a tow truck is cheaper than body work.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
To begin I took it to the express because I couldn't find the soap to wash only to find out it was on the ground.how's that for bad luck.

You and both, it always seems to be spilled all over the bottom of my cleaning tub saturating all of my micro towels. But a scratch like that ain't nothin... the clear is peeling on the back and sides of my cab from defective clear coat, the (very large) shop got put out of business by Service King and every shop I go to says they won't touch it. I could go on, but just be glad that a scratch is all you have to lose sleep over.