How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrmagoolin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The airflow changes are gradual in most cases and you won't even notice. Usually when you first start the truck and it's trying to get the cab to whatever the desired temp that you have it set to is when it will blow the hardest. One thing to note: when the truck is cold in the morning your climate control will blow harder as your truck's engine heats up to defrost and heat the cab when it's on ATC. It does this automatically so it's not just blowing cold air while the engine warms up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My truck when I first start it does not blow harder or faster. It runs on the lowest fan speed. It will not step up until the coolant temp reaches 120 degrees. Then it steps up to 3 or 4. When the coolant gets to 160 degrees then it bumps up to 5 or more. Just running it on ATC on remote start for 15 minutes and my windows might be clear enough to drive. I do have a diesel engine.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hold on...I can use voice control to control the temp??
That and you can change the radio channel. I didn’t save my presets yet so I just press the VC button and say “tune satellite channel 34” or whatever. I think I might be getting lazy.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hold on...I can use voice control to control the temp??
Yes just push the steering wheel voice button and say (set temperature to what ever you want it to be and it will adjust automatically.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck when I first start it does not blow harder or faster. It runs on the lowest fan speed. It will not step up until the coolant temp reaches 120 degrees. Then it steps up to 3 or 4. When the coolant gets to 160 degrees then it bumps up to 5 or more. Just running it on ATC on remote start for 15 minutes and my windows might be clear enough to drive. I do have a diesel engine.
Yip that's exactly what I was saying. It will blow harder as the truck warms up so it's not just blowing cold air. My truck is gas so it reaches operating temperature a little quicker.

Mrmagoolin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yip that's exactly what I was saying. It will blow harder as the truck warms up so it's not just blowing cold air. My truck is gas so it reaches operating temperature a little quicker.

I read what you wrote different then what you meant. I wondered if it was working as it should and this confirms that it is. I tried the voice commands and they worked for me too. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For those that did this conversion and did not have the factory bracket on the windshield. What was determined to be the best / most accurate place and way to mount the humidity sensor?
Thanks

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those that did this conversion and did not have the factory bracket on the windshield. What was determined to be the best / most accurate place and way to mount the humidity sensor?
Thanks

If you look up at where the headliner meets the windshield, you’ll see a little notched area in the headliner where the harness comes through.

I mounted mine a little closer to the mirror upper cover than that.
34108482eb1811f0512b1529855a6e83.jpg

Edit: Sorry, I used 3M double sided tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks
I just installed the sensor in between the headliner and the windshield since the windshield doesn't have a mounting bracket. It's not visible at all when you are in the truck or from the outside of the truck. Seems to work fine. I bought the cover and may install it with double sided tape later but haven't got around to it yet. 1b1eda69539a988d7f819c13835b129a.jpg

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
hey how are you sorry I know it's Christmas but I need your help I'm grabbing this conversion but I have a little problem in the part of the marked image I can not see well if it has welding someone can help me know where I have to do the soldering

92ABAFB3-0A08-45CC-8BA0-5F0626EA2361.jpeg

BobC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 QC, Big Horn 4x2
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have been in contact with Mike at M2MODS. He is awesome! I purchased all the required parts from Mike and sourced the temp sensor and humidty sensor. I have had them for a couple weeks (no time to install with XMAS and family in town) and I think today is the day! I purchased a bezel from Mike (dual zone hybrid single zone). I had a 2015 Ram and had dual zone and I used that Auto Button all the time. So I wanted that functionality on my 2018.

My question is do I need to remove center console when updating the bezel?

Also here are the steps I am going to take:
0: detach Battery Cable
1: install 2018 Security bypass cable
2: install Wiring Harness and sensors
3: reattach battery cable,
3a: test original functionality works.
4: detach battery
5: Install new Bezel
6: reattach battery cable
7: Use AlphaOBD App to update BCM.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have been in contact with Mike at M2MODS. He is awesome! I purchased all the required parts from Mike and sourced the temp sensor and humidty sensor. I have had them for a couple weeks (no time to install with XMAS and family in town) and I think today is the day! I purchased a bezel from Mike (dual zone hybrid single zone). I had a 2015 Ram and had dual zone and I used that Auto Button all the time. So I wanted that functionality on my 2018.

My question is do I need to remove center console when updating the bezel?

Also here are the steps I am going to take:
0: detach Battery Cable
1: install 2018 Security bypass cable
2: install Wiring Harness and sensors
3: reattach battery cable,
3a: test original functionality works.
4: detach battery
5: Install new Bezel
6: reattach battery cable
7: Use AlphaOBD App to update BCM.

Pretty exciting, I'm on the list with Mike (yes, he is awesome) for the same harness plus a '17-'18 microphone harness. I'm thinking I'll probably go with the same bezel as your new hybrid one. Please post your results as to how the swap goes.

BobC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 QC, Big Horn 4x2
Engine
EcoDiesel
So I installed the hybrid Single Zone ATC bezel from Mike G. with M2MODS. Install went pretty well. With a 2018 you have to remove negative battery terminal to the the alphaOBD updates to take between each change from Single MTC to Dual ATC and then finally to single ATC. Did not know this, was pulling my hair out, talked to Mike and he set me straight! Below is the picture of my climate screen after install. Auto button included. Sorry about the outside temperature. I live in South Florida...a little humid today. :) Was 85 earlier in day. I forgot to reset clock. Pic taken at 530 pm.

I installed the humidity sensor on the glass where the cutout in headliner is. Planning on getting the cover for it and see if I can figure out a way to make it look good. Currently sticky tape velcro holding to windshield.

Thanks M2MODS

IMG_4190.jpeg IMG_4188.jpeg

Last edited:

BobC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 QC, Big Horn 4x2
Engine
EcoDiesel
So I installed the hybrid Single Zone ATC bezel from Mike G. with M2MODS. Install went pretty well. With a 2018 you have to remove negative battery terminal to the the alphaOBD updates to take between each change from Single MTC to Dual ATC and then finally to single ATC. Did not know this, was pulling my hair out, talked to Mike and he set me straight! Below is the picture of my climate screen after install. Auto button included. Sorry about the outside temperature. I live in South Florida...a little humid today. :) Was 85 earlier in day. I forgot to reset clock. Pic taken at 530 pm.

I installed the humidity sensor on the glass where the cutout in headliner is. Planning on getting the cover for it and see if I can figure out a way to make it look good. Currently sticky tape velcro holding to windshield.

Thanks M2MODS
IMG_4190.jpeg IMG_4188.jpeg

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the humidity sensor not get glued tight to the windshield? There’s actually a notch for it in the headliner? I’ll look at my truck tomorrow to see if I have the notch.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the humidity sensor not get glued tight to the windshield? There’s actually a notch for it in the headliner? I’ll look at my truck tomorrow to see if I have the notch.
The humidity sensor is supposed to connect to a bracket that's mounted to the correct windshield which we don't have. There should be a small grove in your headliner for the sensor connector to go through. I just wedged my sensor between the headliner and the glass like it shows in the picture. It is pretty much hidden and seems to work fine. Some have also mounted the sensor to the windshield with double sided tape or velcro. It's just a matter of preference.

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the sensor detect humidity through the windshield for exterior humidity levels?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does the sensor detect humidity through the windshield for exterior humidity levels?
It can't detect humidity through the glass. It uses both temperature and relative humidity to calculate Dew Point. Knowing the dew point you can determine when the windows will fog up

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I did not research this, here is a link to GGGCorps page on rain/light sensors. There are also brackets for humidity sensors and I am pretty sure one of these will work if you want to go the OEM route for mounting the humidity sensor. The "GBR 1892" looks like the one. Their customer service is top notch if someone wanted to look into this further.

https://gggcorp.com/Rain-Light-Sensors.html

Since it wasn't as crucial on how the humidity sensor was mounted unlike the rain sensor, I opted just to double side adhesive the sensor and cover into place but who knows maybe I'll redo the humidity sensor at some point.