How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Silly question but what screws are you guys using to mount the temp sensor?

I used the same screws that are holding the center stack in place, the ones in the little cubby at the top of the radio bezel. The seemed to be s perfect fit.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How exactly does the auto temp control work. I activated it today and not sure it's working correctly. When I set the temp to high 70s to HI it blows out the defrost and floor vents and when I set the temp to cooler/cold temps, it blows thru the dash vents. Is that how it's supposed to work? Obviously it shuts down when the desired temp is met.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How exactly does the auto temp control work. I activated it today and not sure it's working correctly. When I set the temp to high 70s to HI it blows out the defrost and floor vents and when I set the temp to cooler/cold temps, it blows thru the dash vents. Is that how it's supposed to work? Obviously it shuts down when the desired temp is met.

I don’t know if that is the correct way or not, but mine do the same thing. I activated mine with the AlphaOBD.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is also the way mine functions. FYI, I enabled the humidity sensor to complete this in Alfa and so far I have noticed no difference.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like mine is operating correctly then! Thanks fellas for your input!

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't found my answer yet, so a question on ATC. I understand the auto setting from above post. So I assume if I pick my temp, and set my mode, floor/ defrost/ dash vents, it will remain there and modulate heating or cooling as needed without changing anything else? Does fan speed change if not in auto?
Or am I completely wrong.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't found my answer yet, so a question on ATC. I understand the auto setting from above post. So I assume if I pick my temp, and set my mode, floor/ defrost/ dash vents, it will remain there and modulate heating or cooling as needed without changing anything else? Does fan speed change if not in auto?
Or am I completely wrong.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you set the auto setting it takes over. You can only control the temperature. Depending on outside/inside temp and what you set it at, it will cycle from floor to vent to defrost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
After a little over a week running my 8.4 conversion on MTC I decided to reprogram this morning before heading out to work. I am running AlfaOBD on a Win10 laptop with the MX bluetooth adapter. Before I started I made sure the Climate Control was OFF. Per the instructions I set dual zone ATC, disconnected the program, shut off the truck the let it sit while I went to get my backpack and lunch. Hopped back in checked the Climate Control and it showed Dual Zone ATC. So next step turn off Climate and set Single Zone ATC. Disconnect, shut down, do more errands and then back to the truck to confirm that it set. It did and it works. total time was less than 15 minutes.
I haven't really tried to figure out if the airflow changes per temp setting but I did confirm that I can set the temp by voice controls.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a little over a week running my 8.4 conversion on MTC I decided to reprogram this morning before heading out to work. I am running AlfaOBD on a Win10 laptop with the MX bluetooth adapter. Before I started I made sure the Climate Control was OFF. Per the instructions I set dual zone ATC, disconnected the program, shut off the truck the let it sit while I went to get my backpack and lunch. Hopped back in checked the Climate Control and it showed Dual Zone ATC. So next step turn off Climate and set Single Zone ATC. Disconnect, shut down, do more errands and then back to the truck to confirm that it set. It did and it works. total time was less than 15 minutes.
I haven't really tried to figure out if the airflow changes per temp setting but I did confirm that I can set the temp by voice controls.
The airflow changes are gradual in most cases and you won't even notice. Usually when you first start the truck and it's trying to get the cab to whatever the desired temp that you have it set to is when it will blow the hardest. One thing to note: when the truck is cold in the morning your climate control will blow harder as your truck's engine heats up to defrost and heat the cab when it's on ATC. It does this automatically so it's not just blowing cold air while the engine warms up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
This should work out when I remote start on a cold/icy morning and the defroster is automatically selected. ;)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This should work out when I remote start on a cold/icy morning and the defroster is automatically selected. ;)
Yes, it's one of my favorite features. Without the ATC you kind of have to predict what the weather's gonna be like and then make sure the climate controls are where you want them and they will automatically turn on with remote start. When you have the ATC selected you don't have to worry about it. I just keep mine set usually at 72° and it turns on the air conditioning in the summer and defrosts and heats my truck in the winter when I remote start.

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read quite a few pages (like 30-40) of this thread. I also read the fist page a couple times, but I might have missed it still. Is a humidity sensor required besides the temperature sensor? (On a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport). I didn't see it mentioned in the first page of posts, but it is in later posts, along with 2500 & 3500 trucks might already have the humidity sensor installed.

I guess I was wondering if maybe the first post of this thread just hasn't been updated with newer info?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read quite a few pages (like 30-40) of this thread. I also read the fist page a couple times, but I might have missed it still. Is a humidity sensor required besides the temperature sensor? (On a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport). I didn't see it mentioned in the first page of posts, but it is in later posts, along with 2500 & 3500 trucks might already have the humidity sensor installed.

I guess I was wondering if maybe the first post of this thread just hasn't been updated with newer info?
Yes the humidity sensor is required on the 14 to 18 1500's

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Post 3 has the updated v2 directions with PNs etc for download.

M² Mods.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Hold on...I can use voice control to control the temp??

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hold on...I can use voice control to control the temp??

Yeah just say change temperature to 80 degrees and it will change. Lol. I said the same thing when I seen that post and had to try it [emoji23]

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah just say change temperature to 80 degrees and it will change. Lol. I said the same thing when I seen that post and had to try it [emoji23]

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

This just keeps getting better!! :)