How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STecoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Crew Cab Tradesman
Engine
3.0L Diesel
yes the physical buttons worked and I think the arrows on the screen worked but I never used them. I guess we can't expect too much when we hack the truck computers tho--I'm happy!

Let me know if they do start working. I'm looking at doing this very shortly (postman should be here today) and wanted to make sure before I drop another $200 into my other long list of mods. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes the physical buttons worked and I think the arrows on the screen worked but I never used them. I guess we can't expect too much when we hack the truck computers tho--I'm happy!

That's completely silly if that is true.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Success!

20170619_163730-L.jpg

he only thing I don't like is the slider is the only way to change the temperature. Neither the manual controls nor the arrows on the display change the temperature. But I can easily live with that.

Buttons on screen and physical buttons should fully function after this mod is completed. did you try resetting the radio to see if that makes it work?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Success!

20170619_163730-L.jpg

he only thing I don't like is the slider is the only way to change the temperature. Neither the manual controls nor the arrows on the display change the temperature. But I can easily live with that.

What happens when you press the "auto" soft key on the display? I'm guessing it gets selected and then goes right off again?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's completely silly if that is true.

Yeah, it's not supposed to work like that. I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. I'm just waiting for his response to my question about what the auto button does.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it's not supposed to work like that. I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. I'm just waiting for his response to my question about what the auto button does.

Sounds similar to what we experienced when we added the Single Zone ATC code before realizing the Dual Zone needed to be activated first in order for it to work. I don't Remember the manual temp adjustment not working but I don't think I even tryed when I added the codes. In any case it's deffently not working correctly if he can't adjust the temp.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds similar to what we experienced when we added the Single Zone ATC code before realizing the Dual Zone needed to be activated first in order for it to work. I don't Remember the manual temp adjustment not working but I don't think I even tryed when I added the codes. In any case it's deffently not working correctly if he can't adjust the temp.

Bingo. Symptoms are slider only (and it's jerky) and inability to enter auto mode. The temp also resets when you shut the truck off. I just wanted more info before pointing at the Genie as the problem.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
What happens when you press the "auto" soft key on the display? I'm guessing it gets selected and then goes right off again?

that is correct. I also just noticed that the temperature setting does not get stored. The arrows/buttons still don't work.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
that is correct. I also just noticed that the temperature setting does not get stored. The arrows/buttons still don't work.

Ok, just as I suspected. When I was first trying to get this to work, I hit a few snags. This was one of them.

What we discovered was that if you converted a truck for singe zone ATC and put in a used module from a factory ATC (dual zone) truck, it would work fine. If you used a new module or one from an MTC truck (same p/n), it wouldn't. If you then took that module and put it in a factory ATC truck, it would with there. Furthermore, it would then work in the converted truck too.

This tells me two things - 1.The module has memory, 2.In the absence of it seeing a known configuration setting in the BCM (single zone MTC or dual zone ATC), it will revert to the last valid configuration it read. Since dual zone ATC is a superset of single zone ATC, a module that reverts to it will work with the converter truck. One that is reverting to MTC, however, will not.

The solution to this issue is to first set the truck to dual zone ATC, let the module store this configuration, and then switch over to single zone. I don't think the Genie accounts for this. I was wondering about that when they first announced the ATC Genie because it requires a multi-step procedure that is different than all the other Genies.

Considering that they were first writing the wrong value to the configuration and now aren't accounting for the way the truck actually behaves, I don't think they've really done any testing of this new Genie. I understand trying to get it out before everyone just buys the AE tool, but considering the device manually overwrites BCM settings, I'm a bit concerned at the lack of attention to detail.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, just as I suspected. When I was first trying to get this to work, I hit a few snags. This was one of them.

What we discovered was that if you converted a truck for singe zone ATC and put in a used module from a factory ATC (dual zone) truck, it would work fine. If you used a new module or one from an MTC truck (same p/n), it wouldn't. If you then took that module and put it in a factory ATC truck, it would with there. Furthermore, it would then work in the converted truck too.

This tells me two things - 1.The module has memory, 2.In the absence of it seeing a known configuration setting in the BCM (single zone MTC or dual zone ATC), it will revert to the last valid configuration it read. Since dual zone ATC is a superset of single zone ATC, a module that reverts to it will work with the converter truck. One that is reverting to MTC, however, will not.

The solution to this issue is to first set the truck to dual zone ATC, let the module store this configuration, and then switch over to single zone. I don't think the Genie accounts for this. I was wondering about that when they first announced the ATC Genie because it requires a multi-step procedure that is different than all the other Genies.

Considering that they were first writing the wrong value to the configuration and now aren't accounting for the way the truck actually behaves, I don't think they've really done any testing of this new Genie. I understand trying to get it out before everyone just buys the AE tool, but considering the device manually overwrites BCM settings, I'm a bit concerned at the lack of attention to detail.

Hey, they got 200,000 bucks in that thing. :roflsquared:

And they aren't gonna change their price :word:

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel

I'm a programmer (or was). I've never written update code for vehicles but it seems to be the boot script on the programmer could test for module codes and react accordingly. ie; if MTC then flash for dual. Reboot, reflash and test for dual then update for single zone.

but then I could be wrong

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm a programmer (or was). I've never written update code for vehicles but it seems to be the boot script on the programmer could test for module codes and react accordingly. ie; if MTC then flash for dual. Reboot, reflash and test for dual then update for single zone.

but then I could be wrong

There needs to be a key cycle or two in there too. It certainly can be done, it's just different behavior than the other Genies and would require a little different procedure.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking the same thing when they came out with the ATC Genie. I was wondering how they were able to bypass the steps we needed to do to get it to work. I am not a programer by any meens. It seems like such a simple solution but would it be possible for them to send a Genie to activate the Dual Zone ATC and then use the other Genie to load the Single Zone similar to the way we did it with the AE tool?

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking the same thing when they came out with the ATC Genie. I was wondering how they were able to bypass the steps we needed to do to get it to work. I am not a programer by any meens. It seems like such a simple solution but would it be possible for them to send a Genie to activate the Dual Zone ATC and then use the other Genie to load the Single Zone similar to the way we did it with the AE tool?

That would be 400 dollars of magical Genie's

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dude, lighten up. we know you you don't like their business model.

Just getting my shots in. Plus, if more people would speak up about the price, there is a small possibility of change. Keeping quiet and defending them wont get you anything but a lighter wallet. Infotainment isn't gonna give you a free one because you defend them either.

But I'll stop, for you :favorites13:

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Just getting my shots in. Plus, if more people would speak up about the price, there is a small possibility of change. Keeping quiet and defending them wont get you anything but a lighter wallet. Infotainment isn't gonna give you a free one because you defend them either.

But I'll stop, for you :favorites13:

that is fair but I would think those comments belong in The Lounge or the vendor's forum.

and thanks.