How to aim your headlights - 4th Gen Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will try that method, I went WAY to high. Heck, I could see bats in the trees when I took a spin at dark this evening. LOL

Lol, and great information on adjusting. I just got a set of projectors and will be installing on Tuesday, if not to cold(supposed to be a nice sunny 27 degrees).
Time to move down south real, real soon

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If I may give some advise, you can replace one light then adjust the hid to the halogen line. Then do the other light and line it up to the other one -this is what i did.

I had no idea you NEEDED to adjust the hight with HIDs i thought something was broken. I crammed everything inside the housings and though I either bent the projector housing, or the bulb was not seated correctly. I managed to make the 9006s fit in the 9012 hole with out modification so after inspecting everything and saw nothing was bent i thought ill take them out and trim the tab.. well... i snapped the WHOLE tab off on one bulb.. fu%k... so i trimmed the other one and ordered new bulbs... So, im running one HID and one halogen till my new bulb comes in, this is why i can line up the HID to the stock light.

Use my post as advise, you NEED to adjust them, nothing is broken.. had i read somewhere that this was normal i never would of had to disassemble everything and break it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before I put my Bilsteins in(at 2.1) I parked 25 ft from my garage door and turned the lights on and measured from the ground up to the brightest spot. Put a piece of tape on the garage door(it measured about 35" from the ground). Installed the Bilsteins and parked in same spot(25' from the garage door) and lowered the brightest spot back down to the original tape height. Seemed to work for me OK.
Jay

Last edited:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ugh these projectors suck with HIDs btw.. I been spending a month trying to aim them right while not blinding people, they are too low now but im not blidng people when I come over a hill. I cant seem to line them up together either the "beams" dont line up but you can get the "cut off" to kind of line up but then one beam is higher than the other.. Idont know.. Id hate to take them out, they definitely provide good light out put but I am super **** about this now. I wish I had money for retro fits, and I also wish I knew this before I bought these, I could of used that money for something else.... oh well.. I guess Ill keep dickin with em...

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I have mine retrofitted. Depending on how much gas I have makes a difference in aiming. Towards empty, the bed sits higher causing the light to aim downward. At least that what it looks like.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone I've passed since buying this truck. Problem has been solved, sorry about yer retinas.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was getting flashed a lot since putting on my Billstein's @2.1 thanks to this write up i was able to correct it tonight thanks JJ

Calab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Quite simple!

There is a hole in the fender, next to the key here:

6125371794_a14900e758_b.jpg

OK... I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find the adjusters on my 2011 RAM using a 12" long 1/4" extension and 7mm socket.

They just aren't there!!! How far down should they be? Are they STRAIGHT down?

Is it possible that they fell out/were broken/removed by a previous owner? If so, is it a hard thing to reinstall them?

Alternately, could I just be not seeing them?

This is probably something I should of asked about before I swapped out my headlights, but I really don't want to have to pull the truck apart again if I don't have to.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Calab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OK... I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find the adjusters on my 2011 RAM using a 12" long 1/4" extension and 7mm socket.

They just aren't there!!! How far down should they be? Are they STRAIGHT down?

Is it possible that they fell out/were broken/removed by a previous owner? If so, is it a hard thing to reinstall them?

Alternately, could I just be not seeing them?

This is probably something I should of asked about before I swapped out my headlights, but I really don't want to have to pull the truck apart again if I don't have to.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Now I feel like an idiot... I went back to my original headlights and looked a bit closer. The adjusters are part of the headlight assembly.

adjuster.jpg

What's worse, is that my new headlights don't appear to have adjusters and there is no way to transfer the old ones to the new lights.

new.jpg

:(

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my method: be on a flat surface 25 feet from the wall. Turn on your headlights. Take a tape measure from the ground up and see where your lights are brightest a few inches from the bumper. Go to the wall and put a piece of masking tape 1-2 inches lower than the light height at the truck. Aim away until the brightest spot is lined up with the tape.

That's basically what the service manual says, except that the passenger side may be aimed a little higher (one inch down) and its the top edge of the bright spot on the door/wall thats the reference point (so called cutoff). Measurements should be done with a full tank and with a driver siting in the truck. Aiming is done with low beams. Export is different.

arkansasdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
same problem

I have the same issue took out the originals yesterday and discovered last night the low beams are to low. Looked for the adjuster but they don't have one lined up with the hole they are on the back I will have to take the headlight out just to move the beam up and then hope I get it right the first time.

AD:roflsquared:

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I adjusted mine down after my level and forgot about it. The other morning, a fellow co-worker was in front of me on the drive in, and later that day he was complaining about my fog lights shining in his eyes.

Never even thought to re-adjust the fog lights. Any info on how the fogs should be aimed? I got the 2" in 25' for the headlights, but no idea where to aim the fogs...

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone know if these work on the TYC projector lights? I looked in the hole and there is no adjuster... i even stuck in a camera/flashlight and took a photo... no adjuster.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any certain height the headlights should be I have a 7 inch lift and I need to aim them down

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone know if these work on the TYC projector lights? I looked in the hole and there is no adjuster... i even stuck in a camera/flashlight and took a photo... no adjuster.
I did find it taking the lamp unit out.. just.. maybe my extender isnt long enough.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ptuttle78

Reaction score
This went away once I put in after market headlights. Now I have remove headlight to adjust [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I installed Retro Shop HID's about 2 weeks ago. I'm leveled with Bils as 2.8. I get flashed all the time, and people I'm behind have been getting pretty pissed as well.
I have factory projectors, what's the proper way at aim them lower? Is it the 7mm nut in fender or do I have to remove the headlights to adjust?

Madcap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With led bulbs installed on quad lights does the adjustment screw still work

OP
OP

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yes.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just put a 3" front lift and 35's. So at 25' the brightest spot should be 35" off the ground?
I forgot to measure before I lifted