I need help with this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Problem solved. Much to my wife's bitter unhappiness I purchased a new 2500! She's happy riding in it now though. Lol
My new truck has a payload of 2600 and pulls 17,000 now so if I have a problem is me. Ha!

I'm going to start a new thread to make the announcement with pics. Thank you guys so much for all your help.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like talking money, but would I be out of line in asking how much more than your current payment this ends up costing? Just an '$X/month"?
If so please disregard.

-My 1,234th post :-D

rraulston

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to trade my 1500 back in for a 2500 and it was another 10K plus 75 more a month. Wife flipped out. So Ill keep this and stay out of the dog house.....I tow about 6K and this truck is scary on the freeway. Its rated for 10k towing. What they don't tell you is towing an enclosed car hauler adds (in my opinion) about 3k worth of wind resistance. Ill buy an old cummins 2500 12 valver for 10K when this breaks and call it good....

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to trade my 1500 back in for a 2500 and it was another 10K plus 75 more a month. Wife flipped out. So Ill keep this and stay out of the dog house.....I tow about 6K and this truck is scary on the freeway. Its rated for 10k towing. What they don't tell you is towing an enclosed car hauler adds (in my opinion) about 3k worth of wind resistance. Ill buy an old cummins 2500 12 valver for 10K when this breaks and call it good....

I hear ya. We're WAY under as far as weights- fully loaded we still have a solid 20% safety margin, but the LENGTH of our trailer was never suggested as too long for a half ton, and probably should have been.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I wanted to again thank everyone who posted in this thread. Everything worked out great! I did a pull with a bare hitch and got it up to 60 and it felt great. I set up the weight distribution hitch and the truck pulls like a limo. Both the rig and trailer match great. I can see some matching rims in the future... What do you all think?

picture.php

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Very nice. I tow a 6300lb empty travel trailer... This whole thing is new to me. main reason why I bought my RAM. Wish I could have afforded a 2500 but with 2 kids I just couldn't do it. I think I was lucky in my set up.... 3.92 gears tow mirrors trailer brake all factory installed. The trailer brake is a life saver in stopping. I put the golf cart in the bed for the first time in April with the camper and was a nervous wreck for over an hr. Finally I un puckered and went on with it. The **** end of these trucks sag like a mo fo thought. I put the Timbren bump stops under mine.. Helps it. I have an old W/D hitch but I still cant get the sag out. Your set is what Id like to get when I retire... If I make it that long

:fishing1:

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How's the 2500 HEMI for towing? I feel as if the 1500 HEMI tows my boat fine but I feel like I need that extra cushion in payload and the 3/4 ton chassis. I'm not sure I want to spend the extra $7k on the diesel engine, pay more at the pump, and burn more fuel when not towing.

DHDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do yourself a huge favor and upgrade to a 2500. Your 1500 is maxed out before you even get in it. As for friction sway control, your trailer is too big for 1 or even 2 friction bars. i would recommend you purchase a hitch system with intergrated sway control. An Equalizer (made by Progressive Mfg) or a Reese Dual Cam setup would be good hitches. Air bags will not increase your towing weight. Air bags will not redistribute you hitch weight. Air bags will help level you tow vehicle and improve ride characteristics (smoother ride, less bounce, etc..).
Currently i am towing a 34' Travel trailer using an Equalizer hitch. Tow vehicle is a 2012 2500 Big Horn QC 4x4 4:10 (4:10 axle ratio gives almost 2500-3000lbs more towing capacity over standard 2500)

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know this has been resolved now (good choice OP), but I noticed one thing that was never touched on: The Class IV receiver. That tongue weight is over what a class IV is typically rated for. In fact, quite a bit over. That alone would have my pucker-factor in the red.