I need input on JL Stealth Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know one thing tho, I can’t crank mine up with the motor shut off or the when the bass hits, the low-voltage safety kicks in and shuts the amp down momentarily.

I guess it could be due to the fact that my battery cables for the truck itself could possibly be smaller than the 4 gauge wire used to connect power and ground to the amp. JL Audio recommends upgrading to bigger cable if your factory cables are smaller in size for proper current loop.

I dunno, anybody know right off hand what size wire they used at the factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't know how your system is wired, but your amp's power wire should go directly to your battery with an in-line fuse in between. I've had JL amps in multiple vehicles. They've all been more powerful than the one you're running and were pushing two 12w3v2s. Only side effect was dimming the lights when I was pushing the subs really hard. Nothing ever shut my amp down. If your amp is shutting off, then something is wrong.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know how your system is wired, but your amp's power wire should go directly to your battery with an in-line fuse in between. I've had JL amps in multiple vehicles. They've all been more powerful than the one you're running and were pushing two 12w3v2s. Only side effect was dimming the lights when I was pushing the subs really hard. Nothing ever shut my amp down. If your amp is shutting off, then something is wrong.

Well, I’m pretty sure the amp is just doing what it’s supposed to do by shutting itself down momentarily if it senses too much a drop in input voltage to it because I don’t have this problem with the engine running. And yes, I ran the power wire straight to the battery with the supplied, big ole monster fuse and fuse block spliced into the wire about 18 inches or so from the battery as per the instructions and the ground wire was ran to one of the welded on studs under the rear seat where part of the fold out floor was mounted to.

Oh, mine does the same- whenever the bass hits hard enough, it’ll dim the headlights a little, even when driving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About to pull the trigger... How much output will I lose by switching from current situation to the stealth with two tw1? I have the high output.
2dd5701ebb2bf7df90268a5f0ad31dd0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's not like that anymore... It's currently an armed rocket waiting on the bench for an accident lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, for one, you’ll sure gain a lot more leg room back there. lol.

As far as output comparisons, I really don’t even know what you have compared to what I have.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, the W6 is a monster sub, but you are essentially doubling the cone area. Might be a push as far as output. Hard to say as there are so many other forces at work here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the end... What other options do I really have, right? My biggest gripe right now is having to wait a week lol

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got two JL tw1 10s. Didn't go with the stealth. I just got a prefab... I had them put them in and I listened to it..... It sounds good, hits both lows and the punchy bass. Now to sell this w6

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here I am with another question!!!

Can these woofers handle more than a xr601-1 600rms @14.4 volts? Whether that answer is yes or no...

What other boxes would produce more range? I do enjoy how it sounds now, I'm impressed considering the box they're in.

I have around $250 or so to spend on a different box.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here I am with another question!!!

Can these woofers handle more than a xr601-1 600rms @14.4 volts? Whether that answer is yes or no...

What other boxes would produce more range? I do enjoy how it sounds now, I'm impressed considering the box they're in.

I have around $250 or so to spend on a different box.

I’m not all that totally savvy on speakers, sound systems, bass systems, and settin’ it all up and such on my own but when you say 600 watts RMS at 14.4 volts, are talking about the input sensitivity voltage? As per the JL Audio rep I was talking to, he said to set mine at like, 34.6 volts and considering how I had to set that, which was with a volt meter on the speaker wire ends with the radio cranked up while playing a 50 hertz sine wave tune, then if that’s the case, your speakers are only receiving half the voltage they should be getting.

I dunno, I may be wayyy off base, to. Lol.

OP
OP
AngryRams

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not all that totally savvy on speakers, sound systems, bass systems, and settin’ it all up and such on my own but when you say 600 watts RMS at 14.4 volts, are talking about the input sensitivity voltage? As per the JL Audio rep I was talking to, he said to set mine at like, 34.6 volts and considering how I had to set that, which was with a volt meter on the speaker wire ends with the radio cranked up while playing a 50 hertz sine wave tune, then if that’s the case, your speakers are only receiving half the voltage they should be getting.

I dunno, I may be wayyy off base, to. Lol.

Ohhhh no... Lol that's what voltage the amp needs to receive to output 600rms.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ohhhh no... Lol that's what voltage the amp needs to receive to output 600rms.

Well in that case, it might be too much. The JL Audio dude told me that the input voltage needed to be less than 8 volts and if it was more then you’d need a line output converter to reduce it.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I upgraded from the single w3v3 stealth box to two w6v3's in a foxbox. You could pull the w6 you have out of the box and just get a single sub foxbox if you are just looking for legroom. You could also pull what you have, buy another w6 and get a double box.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would probably have kept the W6 and picked up a Net Audio single box.