Thinking about adding aftermarket subwoofer system under the rear seat...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a 2018 Ram 1500... Alpine Audio System...

Got my eye on this....

Thought I’d pick Crutchfield’s brain about what amp to run it off of and insight on hooking it all up to the factory system and they recommended this amp by JL Audio to power it and using this Line Output Converter for in between the amp and the factory amp. They said that not only will this make sure the new amp gets the proper signal it needs to perform at its best but they said it will also correct for the built-in protection circuit in the factory system when the volume goes up.

Y’all’s thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re looking for a real sub experience vs the factory Alpine system I would recommend against using an LOC in between the factory amp and the JL. If you search on this forum you’ll find a post by someone who did that and it never sounded full.

The reason is that the output from the Alpine amp to the factory sub drops some of the lower frequencies that the small sub can’t deal with.

The best bet is to add a PAC Audio AmpPRO 4. That will give you a full range sub out that you can then run to the JL amp.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So in other words, some of the lower frequencies are nonexistent in the factory subwoofer wiring?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically yes. The crossover built into the amp cuts the lowest frequencies back to something the small sub can reproduce without damaging itself.

What type of subs are you thinking about using?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m just strictly curious and asking for direction and advice but why did Crutchfield recommend that line output converter to me instead of that PAC Audio thing?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically yes. The crossover built into the amp cuts the lowest frequencies back to something the small sub can reproduce without damaging itself.

What type of subs are you thinking about using?

Hmm.

Well, that JL Audio Stealthbox I’m looking at comes loaded with 2 of of these.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Based on the description on Crutchfield, it says that’s meant for replacing the factory amp... I don’t wanna do that, I want the factory amp to still run all the other stuff but I just want to take that factory sub and enclosure out from under the rear seat and replace it with a real subwoofer system that’s really gonna lay down the bass.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are nice subs and JL Stealthboxes are always well designed and built.

That’s what I hear. I had a MTX Thunderform box that came loaded with two 10’s and its own amp built in but I was told this would knock that system clean outta the water. I mean, I would hope so since the MTX was only about 600 bucks. Crutchfield wants a grand for just the box and the subs together and then another $450 for the amp, so it better be better...lol.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What it does is give you alternate outputs but I’m like 95% sure the factory amp is still fully functional. I took mine completely out of the equation when we installed the PAC but I believe I’ve read of other people using it to do exactly what you are trying to do.

You could contact PAC to be sure.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What it does is give you alternate outputs but I’m like 95% sure the factory amp is still fully functional. I took mine completely out of the equation when we installed the PAC but I believe I’ve read of other people using it to do exactly what you are trying to do.

You could contact PAC to be sure.

Oh ok. Yeah I could get with them tomorrow on that.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you talk to the guys or girls at Crutchfield I found that they mainly give advice based on the most common equipment people use for basic upgrades for their vehicle

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s a direct link to the PAC unit. The drawing at the end shows how it fits into the system. There are also YouTube videos about it.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-interfacing/ap4-ch41

One thing I noticed on the site is that it only lists up to 2017 models. That may just be an oversight but it is definitely worth a call to verify that it will work with a 2018 system.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I sent PAC an email so it’ll be interesting what they have to say.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s a direct link to the PAC unit. The drawing at the end shows how it fits into the system. There are also YouTube videos about it.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-interfacing/ap4-ch41

One thing I noticed on the site is that it only lists up to 2017 models. That may just be an oversight but it is definitely worth a call to verify that it will work with a 2018 system.

Yeah I noticed that too. As far as I know, there weren’t that many changes between the 17’s and the 18’s so it’s probably ok but since the 2018’s are so new, there’s probably still very little research been done to verify that pretty much what worked on the 17’s will still work on the 18’s.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I noticed that too. As far as I know, there weren’t that many changes between the 17’s and the 18’s so it’s probably ok but since the 2018’s are so new, there’s probably still very little research been done to verify that pretty much what worked on the 17’s will still work on the 18’s.

The 2018s added CarPlay and a few other things so there may well be a difference. Definitely verify it before buying.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for $1500 you are getting to two subs, a box, and an amp....thats alot of money for so little.

Not really, the enclosure is a perfect fit and is the only thing on the market that retains the fold-out floor. A custom enclosure with two woofers would be close to the same if not more.

OP: If PAC doesn't get back to you, let me know and I will text my contact over there.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for $1500 you are getting to two subs, a box, and an amp....thats alot of money for so little.

Boy I sure do get a kick outta reading posts like these that make such a bold claim with no explanation....[emoji846]

So uh, tell me why you think that’s so little for so much?