Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your right to to connect the Orange / dark Blue back into its socket #45 of the BCM C-5 Connector ( this connector is the one labeled E on the Body Control Module ( BCM ) the directions are clear on spicing the purple wire into the OR/BL wire .

I'll post a pic soon of what the power RED wire @ the PDC should look like , I've gotta find my photo of mine .

Jethomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something I haven't checked and I will is the fuse that is the control for power as well as the relay. I just went over Mpgrimm2 post from near begining of this thread.

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
My parts guy at Dealership text me and camera kit came in so I picked it up on way home from work today. After dinner I removed the tailgate lock assembly and installed the camera. The new harness with pigtail for camera and electric lock was different than I have seen here. Since it was I had to use a pick and take out the connectors for lock and push in pegs for supplied new pigtail. On the harness that goes to the bottom of tailgate I could of used the old one. But the new harness had a cover for the square hole on the body which was missing on old harness. This took me about 45mins the install so far and I new routing the main harness up front would take a while I called it a night. I wire tied the harness up on top of the spare tire for now. As I have a friend with a lift and I can work standing up fishing the wire up front. I have enclosed pick of work so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 105

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
More photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 96

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
And of camera installed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 83

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My parts guy at Dealership text me and camera kit came in so I picked it up on way home from work today. After dinner I removed the tailgate lock assembly and installed the camera. The new harness with pigtail for camera and electric lock was different than I have seen here. Since it was I had to use a pick and take out the connectors for lock and push in pegs for supplied new pigtail. On the harness that goes to the bottom of tailgate I could of used the old one. But the new harness had a cover for the square hole on the body which was missing on old harness. This took me about 45mins the install so far and I new routing the main harness up front would take a while I called it a night. I wire tied the harness up on top of the spare tire for now. As I have a friend with a lift and I can work standing up fishing the wire up front. I have enclosed pick of work so far.
Weird That your tailgate harness was diff and missing the body closeout Plate ? Did you buy your truck new ?

Can you please record the P/N of.your camera for me ? Thanks !

And if you don't mind see if the yellow and purple wire at the cab end of the long body harness are connected , with an ohm meter , both disconnected at both ends and then only connected at the tailgate end , please post the results here , it's important to note if they are open at.both checks or not but if they are connected please record how many ohms of resistance. Thanks in advance !

Jethomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to thank everyone for there help and opinions on this. I would like everyone to keep in mind that if you have a blue screen with the "CHECK YOUR SURROUNDINGS" to double check the fuse at the PDC. This was my issue after fixing the missed wiring from dealership.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wanted to thank everyone for there help and opinions on this. I would like everyone to keep in mind that if you have a blue screen with the "CHECK YOUR SURROUNDINGS" to double check the fuse at the PDC. This was my issue after fixing the missed wiring from dealership.
Very nice find indeed ! , so the dealer unplugged the orange / dark Blue wire , left it just hanging and not connected to anything and plugged the purple wire in socket 45 in C-5 Connector @ the BCM?? WOW !
What did they do with the unused yellow wire ?

Jethomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least with that yellow wire they taped it back. Best part was the service managers answer of we have done plenty of these and never spliced the wiring inside cab.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Jethomas I finally found the pictures of my Red pwr wire @ the PDC , Even though you know the dealer obviously hooked this up , if you'd like to compare to mine( see pic below ) due to what you found @ the BCM , I'd double check .011d47973e376c7a30e7a9ec69fd7254.jpg

e361216297287b50b2392a01ad0563e6.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least with that yellow wire they taped it back. Best part was the service managers answer of we have done plenty of these and never spliced the wiring inside cab.
Lol I say BS TO THAT LOL!

Jethomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to take both the connections apart and solder properly this weekend. Thanks for the pictures. I can see that the PDC is connected on mine but I wonder how good.

piper618

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Rebel
Engine
Weird That your tailgate harness was diff and missing the body closeout Plate ? Did you buy your truck new ?

Can you please record the P/N of.your camera for me ? Thanks !

And if you don't mind see if the yellow and purple wire at the cab end of the long body harness are connected , with an ohm meter , both disconnected at both ends and then only connected at the tailgate end , please post the results here , it's important to note if they are open at.both checks or not but if they are connected please record how many ohms of resistance. Thanks in advance !

RLK the camera part # 852007 I hope that's right
I will try and check the wiring in the morning for you. I did purchase the truck from dealer but it was a program vehicle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 95

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It must be on the other side that # doesn't match the 3 available cameras that I'm aware of , no even close ? Thanks though!

When you verify continuity of the purple and yellow wires ( plugged and unplugged reference those results to Mpgrimm2 here on the forum , he's the one who needs them . Thanks !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I'm chasing it and I'll post on here if I figure this out ...
Update , last night I reinspected my entire install of the Lin Bus circuit as follows : visually inspected pins & sockets wire conditions, tugged on everything to ensure good factory crimps and seating ect..ect...
Figured out the purple wire in my OEM Harness changes colors @ the tailgate disconnect to a orange and dark blue stripe , (just like up front @ BCM C-5 / 45 Connector ) this wire changes colors again @ the next litle short camera harness @ the handle assy inside the tailgate to a much smaller diameter light blue wire ,maybe 22 gauge or 24 any how I was able to ring out every wire in that new short camera /Tail Gate lock harness AND THEN I HOOKED EVERYTHING BACK UP / WITH THE EXCEPTIONS @THE C-5 CONNECTOR AND THE TINY SLIDE ON TYPE CONNECTOR AND VERIFIED CONTINUITY FROM THE FACTORY INSTALLED SOCKET 45 ( FRONT SIDE ) AND THE TINY , TINY UPPER CENTER SOCKET ON THE CAMERAS SLIDE ON CONNECTOR !! I WAS USING MY CALIBRATED MULTIMETER FROM WORK AND A 65 FOOT 22 GAUGE WIRE LOOM AND THE TOTAL RESISTANCE WAS 2.3 OHMS !
That's a good low resistance for a 65' loom and the entire OEM harness assy 20 + feet with 3 connectors and my solder joint @ the Orange &Dkblue Blue wire socket 45 , C-5 Connector . Oh and I verifier the BCM DID HAVE a male pin @ this wires location LOL ! wouldn't that be a hoot if it was blank . I have no way to troubleshoot beyond the BCM Yet , I'll be trying to obtain a more detailed wire diagram soon and updating my Radio RA2 Software soon as well .
For what it's worth , still no active lines !

Anyone who has a working knowledge of the Lin Bus system and clock spring detailed attachment to it and any knowledge or suggestions of an a curate way for me to troubleshoot beyond the BCM. , To figure out why I do not have the Active grid lines on my 2014 RAM Q.C 4X4 1500 ST , With a newly installed OEM Tailgate camera backup system I WOULD BE ALL EARS FOR SOME ASSISTANCE. ..THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh just so everyone knows I recently installed a steering wheel with audio controls , RA2 radio and factory mirror with mics .

MTGTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: So after another couple of hours fighting this thing I have ripped the jeepguys harness off the truck. I went over the wiring diagrams countless times and everything was connected and pinned the way it should have been according to the directions. I will be buying the Mopar kit and have to start over. I'm really irritaed at the whole situation. I had no issues on my 1500 when I install it and I put a Jeepguys harness on my buddies 2500 last year without issue as well. This was not my first rodeo with these things and am just over it.

Mpgimm2 - send me a PM with your addy and I will send you both the Jeepguy BCM and body hanresses I have. You should be easily be able to replicate with them sitting in front of you. I don't want to ever look at them again honestly.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: So after another couple of hours fighting this thing I have ripped the jeepguys harness off the truck. I went over the wiring diagrams countless times and everything was connected and pinned the way it should have been according to the directions. I will be buying the Mopar kit and have to start over. I'm really irritaed at the whole situation. I had no issues on my 1500 when I install it and I put a Jeepguys harness on my buddies 2500 last year without issue as well. This was not my first rodeo with these things and am just over it.

Mpgimm2 - send me a PM with your addy and I will send you both the Jeepguy BCM and body hanresses I have. You should be easily be able to replicate with them sitting in front of you. I don't want to ever look at them again honestly.
Hate it for ya on your harness , for what it's worth you'll enjoy the OEM KIT , it's a breeze to install ! Mine went pretty well , with the exception of the lack of active grid lines for me
I'm at the point to where I think my 1500 ST trim level is missing something electrically to show the active grid. ? Or its an internal issue with my camera .?