Interested in the 6.4, which years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
It's actually already been done. One of the tests when the Ecoboost came out was towing its max capacity(at the time) of 11,300 lbs at full throttle for 24 hours straight at Daytona motor speedway totaling 1,607 miles with an average speed of 82 mph. It only stopped for fuel and tires. Needless to say it didn't go boom. In fact that very same engine even went on to tow up Davis Dam a few times and run in the Baja 1000 before doing a a final dyno and tear down showing no signs of power loss or damage. There are videos showing this and the live tear down.

Another one of their tests was to leave the engine at wide open throttle for 15 days straight. It didn't go boom there either.

But you have to pay $10000 more for the Ford! With no real gain over the Ram.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You realize that the 6.4 uses the same filter as the 4 cylinder correct. You can use a 2011 ram 5.7 filter in place of the small filter.

the 2011 Filter does not match up correctly and can leak! Google K&N they have warned of this!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
But you have to pay $10000 more for the Ford! With no real gain over the Ram.

I wouldn't call better fuel economy loaded and unloaded, better performance loaded and unloaded, a higher safety rating, a higher tow rating, a higher payload capacity, and a better depreciation rate as no real gain compared to the Ram 1500 engine the 3.5L EB competes with. Also, an F150 is not $10k more to a comparable Ram 1500.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't call better fuel economy loaded and unloaded, better performance loaded and unloaded, a higher safety rating, a higher tow rating, a higher payload capacity, and a better depreciation rate as no real gain compared to the Ram 1500 engine the 3.5L EB competes with. Also, an F150 is not $10k more to a comparable Ram 1500.

I bought a 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7 with 396 gear. No Ford F150 could be had with all the Ram had on it at the time. I tried to match a Ford to it best I could in 2011 again in 2014 Ram years. Ram was 10883 less than a Ford that came close to the Ram in 2014 and about 9200 and some change cheaper in 2011 less than a Ford. It was compared to a Ford 150 Lariat 2014 and 2011. The Ford had no Leveling suspension,No locking tail gate, no 20 Inch wheels ,no better pulling performance,no Auto dim headlights,more If I'm thinking correct on warranty,Ram had better warranty too. I have not mentioned. The Ford does not have the Higher trade in or resale value either. I have nothing against Ford I owned owned a new F150 in 1997 not a bad truck. (But it went to the shop two times just outside of warranty none of the Rams had any issues.) You can buy a Silverado cheaper than a Ford too.I looked in 2014 and drove them. Ford Dealer sales Mgr. tried to tell me I was full of it too on the Lariat , So I came back next day showed my receipt and Ram to sales Mgr. with 1900 more trade than FORD for my 2011 Ram too! All I got was trade BS and quality BS Blah blah...lol. I cant say nothing about MPG on the Ford. I dont know,but the Ram 1500 5,7 with 3.92 Gear with combination driving is getting 19.6 most of the time.

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I bought a 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7 with 396 gear. No Ford F150 could be had with all the Ram had on it at the time. I tried to match a Ford to it best I could in 2011 again in 2014 Ram years. Ram was 10883 less than a Ford that came close to the Ram in 2014 and about 9200 and some change cheaper in 2011 less than a Ford. It was compared to a Ford 150 Lariat 2014 and 2011. The Ford had no Leveling suspension,No locking tail gate, no 20 Inch wheels ,no better pulling performance,no Auto dim headlights,more If I'm thinking correct on warranty,Ram had better warranty too. I have not mentioned. The Ford does not have the Higher trade in or resale value either. I have nothing against Ford I owned owned a new F150 in 1997 not a bad truck. (But it went to the shop two times just outside of warranty none of the Rams had any issues.) You can buy a Silverado cheaper than a Ford too.I looked in 2014 and drove them. Ford Dealer sales Mgr. tried to tell me I was full of it too on the Lariat , So I came back next day showed my receipt and Ram to sales Mgr. with 1900 more trade than FORD for my 2011 Ram too! All I got was trade BS and quality BS Blah blah...lol. I cant say nothing about MPG on the Ford. I dont know,but the Ram 1500 5,7 with 3.92 Gear with combination driving is getting 19.6 most of the time.

You can get $10k off a ram any day as they advertise it every day. Does ram have trailer backup assist, double pane moon roof, electronic locking rear diff, factory installed strobe warning lights, adaptive cruise control will collision avoidance, massaging seats, etc, etc? Don't get me wrong auto dimming light, auto leveling suspension and locking tailgates are nice but that isn't some new technology, it's been around for quite awhile. There's a reason they have to advertised $10k off the MSRP, have to show their worth to attract buyers as the technology isn't rams strong point.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Personally, other than the e-locker, and potentially the strobes, everything else on that list is not worth two shyts in a bag to me. I purposely bought a Tradesman this time, because I have grown to vehemently despise all these nanny devices. Hell, you can't even toot the damn horn anymore without three effing modules screwing it up. As late as my '86 F-250, a "Hi-Output Heater" was an option on a Ford LOL.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Personally, other than the e-locker, and potentially the strobes, everything else on that list is not worth two shyts in a bag to me. I purposely bought a Tradesman this time, because I have grown to vehemently despise all these nanny devices. Hell, you can't even toot the damn horn anymore without three effing modules screwing it up. As late as my '86 F-250, a "Hi-Output Heater" was an option on a Ford LOL.

I'm with you. My '06 was an SLT, my '11 is an ST. Very similarly equipped going down a trim package with the newer one. Both trucks came with 4.10 gear ratios and LSD. All those creature features are fu fu dust and wasted dollars. To me a longhorn laramie package isn't worth the coin because the lower trim package is just as capable of doing the work. The only package that has performance advantages over ST or Tradesman is the Power Wagon but that has so much other fu fu dust on it that it's still cheaper to buy a Tradesman and put in the locking diffs, disconnect swaybar, lift, and winch afterwards.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can get $10k off a ram any day as they advertise it every day. Does ram have trailer backup assist, double pane moon roof, electronic locking rear diff, factory installed strobe warning lights, adaptive cruise control will collision avoidance, massaging seats, etc, etc? Don't get me wrong auto dimming light, auto leveling suspension and locking tailgates are nice but that isn't some new technology, it's been around for quite awhile. There's a reason they have to advertised $10k off the MSRP, have to show their worth to attract buyers as the technology isn't rams strong point.

I hear you and not getting you wrong but Like I said all that you listed above was not on 2014 F-150 Lariot Ford when I bought the Ram. Ford said the Lariat f-150 was in same class as a Laramie Ram in 2014 same Cabs both 4x4 equals. The F-150 had way less on it for 10000 more any way you want to compare the two truck on same levels.!!The Technology was farther advanced than a 2014 Ford Lariat vs. Larmie in 2014 by a Long shot. The crew cab Laramie had more room in too. The sticker on sticker the Ford was higher before any factory/dealer rebates not sure it was 10000 on stickers but it was at least 6000 sticker on sticker!! I drove away over 10000 cheaper than the Fords best Price and 2000 more for me 2011 Ram than Ford would offer. I must not be the only one...drive past any Ford dealership look for used Rams on the lot. Then drive by a Ram dealership look for used Fords. The proof is in the lots!!Way more used Fords on the Ram lot! Most cases three times more! Is that consumers paying less for more? Paying less for better? Or paying less for dependability? I suspect its not looks.....Im sure the Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 is way better deal (before I even go look) than a Super Duty F-250 both being gas. Of course you dont even want to go compare Cummings to power stroke in the Non-gas class. But all their own... I just needed the 10000 for other stuff....

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I hear ya!!! Its just in all what you like on a truck. So glad we can buy a Truck now in so many combinations to what one wants or needs. Not to long ago you got what was on it. If you Mega bucks push it to get extended cabs! The Truck lines today is awesome from all truck makers. I was comparing Price to price for same type or class trucks. Good luck with yours too!

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

He he...you make a good point but I like the Nanny devices on my truck being stuck for many years with none complete with much bailing wire,bungee cords before Duct tape!! The Old dodge Trucks back in 70,s was hard trucks but ran forever just like the Fords! Hell just a heater and some card board in front of the Radiator was all i could afford then ....no way could I have afforded a new thermostat!!:roflsquared:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
He he...you make a good point but I like the Nanny devices on my truck being stuck for many years with none complete with much bailing wire,bungee cords before Duct tape!! The Old dodge Trucks back in 70,s was hard trucks but ran forever just like the Fords! Hell just a heater and some card board in front of the Radiator was all i could afford then ....no way could I have afforded a new thermostat!!:roflsquared:

I hear ya! I grew up in the lumber business, and my Dad was as old-school as they come. We literally did not have a truck with power steering, or AM radio for that matter, until 1986.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear ya! I grew up in the lumber business, and my Dad was as old-school as they come. We literally did not have a truck with power steering, or AM radio for that matter, until 1986.

ha ha..Exactly No Air., No PB,No PS, either on 90% of Cars let alone a truck unless you knew some one with an Imperial,Lincoln or Caddy !! When i was 16 I worked in a Gas Station parents of my friends owned we RAN to Test drive the Air Conditioned ones after working on them!! 1969 396/375 Chevelle sold for 3200 and no Air, But did have Cherry steering wheel and PB with PS it was the first Chevy I saw with front Disc brakes and we thought WOW the cars are really moving up!!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

I guess we buy our trucks for two totally different purposes. I bought my 2011 F150 HD more for its capabilities and performance both loaded and unloaded since I used it is a truck rather than an oversized grocery getter sedan with a bed. So stuff like auto dimming high beams was no where near on the top of my list of importance. Hell, I have auto dimming on my current 2500 and I deactivated it after the first time using it. Not only because I am not lazy and can easily hit a dimmer switch, but also because it kept my high beams off even when there no traffic because the camera thought that reflective signed was oncoming traffic. The only reason why I got it was because it came with the package that I wanted. And yes, if you google full size half ton trucks that retain their value more the F150 will be ahead of the 1500 in just about every list you will find from NADA to Kelly Blue Book. When it comes to 3/4 tons, the Ram 2500 is usually at the top of the list for holding its resale.

As far as price, that depends on the dealership and what incentives are for the month. I myself don't shop solely on price and would rather save to get what I want if I saw the value in it, but I understand that not all people are like me. To me, if a truck is worth more and I really want it then I will wait and save a few more months(or years) to get it instead of settling for a cheaper truck. It is not about the price difference, but rather what I want.

So as I said earlier in the department of better loaded and unloaded performance, better fuel economy loaded and unloaded, higher safety rating, higher payload capacity, higher tow rating, and better deprecation, the 3.5L Ecoboost F150 does give you a real gain than a comparable 1500. Don't believe me? Check for yourself--- Texas Truck Showdown 2016: Max Towing

Last edited:

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Every offering in the truck market is competitive and capable of doing what they are rated to do in their respective classes. Sure, some may do it faster or work less to accomplish the same task, but empirical data from a bunch of challenges and comparisons only tell a small portion of the story. What I'm getting at, is that personal preference based on aesthetics, brand loyalty and name recognition are probably much bigger factors in the decision making process than who ran the best time up the Ike Gauntlet.

I for one chose my RAM Power Wagon because I thought it was the best looking and most rugged truck out there that met my needs. Sure, I looked at capability and it checked the boxes for my requirements, but I never once felt like it was superior to any other manufacturers... just better looking, more unique and what I wanted!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Every offering in the truck market is competitive and capable of doing what they are rated to do in their respective classes. Sure, some may do it faster or work less to accomplish the same task, but empirical data from a bunch of challenges and comparisons only tell a small portion of the story. What I'm getting at, is that personal preference based on aesthetics, brand loyalty and name recognition are probably much bigger factors in the decision making process than who ran the best time up the Ike Gauntlet.

I for one chose my RAM Power Wagon because I thought it was the best looking and most rugged truck out there that met my needs. Sure, I looked at capability and it checked the boxes for my requirements, but I never once felt like it was superior to any other manufacturers... just better looking, more unique and what I wanted!

One of the best post on this thread. Well said.

People ask me, "what did you buy a 3500 for? You dont tow a lot."I tell them because I WANTED IT & it also does everything I need it to.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I have some friends that own 3/4 ton trucks yet they don't haul anything other than an ice chest. They always say the got their 3/4 ton because they wanted it which is perfectly fine by me since it is their money to do with as they wish, but then I would have to hear them complain about their horrible fuel mileage versus their old half tons the next time I see them. I never understood that.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
One of the best post on this thread. Well said.

People ask me, "what did you buy a 3500 for? You dont tow a lot."I tell them because I WANTED IT & it also does everything I need it to.

Bingo. I have had my 2500 almost a year and have used the hitch once. I put my clevis in to help someone get a disabled car off the highway onto a side road. It's nice to have the option and fuel economy isn't that much worse than a half ton lol

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Bingo. I have had my 2500 almost a year and have used the hitch once. I put my clevis in to help someone get a disabled car off the highway onto a side road. It's nice to have the option and fuel economy isn't that much worse than a half ton lol

Yup

I dont put enough miles on it to worry about fuel milage and frankly, if i can afford a new 3/4 or 1ton I can afford the bad fuel mileage too.

As i said i dont plan on Towning much (hence the gas engine) but i ALWAYS find myself maxing out (or overloading) payloads on 1/2tons so i wanted more payload ( hence 1ton )

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Yeah, I might put 9,000 miles on it this year. Part of that is only living 1.5 miles from work lol one tank of gas will get me to work and back for a month lol