Intermittent bulb out light, right side brake light confirmed not working when it's on...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Pretty simple, I've started getting lamp out warnings for my rear passenger brake light. The first time happened before I went and had the second muffler removed and a downturn put on, and I replaced the bulb [it WAS bad], but now it's happening again, and it's a little weird because the warning will turn off every now and then.

As long as it's on, the brake light is confirmed not to work, but IDK about when it's off as I usually have to start driving and wait for it to go off. There's basically no way to coordinate being able to check if it works when the warning's off.

Anyway, I can't and won't replace bulbs once a week, so I need to know what's causing this and how to fix it and if it'd just be more worth it to get my Depo tails now, so here's a video displaying and discussing the problems and potential causes I could think up. {{One I missed was "could the muffler guy have knicked a wire when hacking off the resonator or melted/partially melted them while welding the turndown on?}}

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Pretty simple, I've started getting lamp out warnings for my rear passenger brake light. The first time happened before I went and had the second muffler removed and a downturn put on, and I replaced the bulb [it WAS bad], but now it's happening again, and it's a little weird because the warning will turn off every now and then.

As long as it's on, the brake light is confirmed not to work, but IDK about when it's off as I usually have to start driving and wait for it to go off. There's basically no way to coordinate being able to check if it works when the warning's off.

Anyway, I can't and won't replace bulbs once a week, so I need to know what's causing this and how to fix it and if it'd just be more worth it to get my Depo tails now, so here's a video displaying and discussing the problems and potential causes I could think up. {{One I missed was "could the muffler guy have knicked a wire when hacking off the resonator or melted/partially melted them while welding the turndown on?}}

Id say check all bulbs for looseness, add dielectric grease if needed. If that doesn’t work follow the wiring back and check for any cuts or melted wire. If all else fails go get some Depo lights [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Is there an improper way to apply the grease that might do this? I apply about a half pea sized drop per bulb and spread it around the whole connector...
Id say check all bulbs for looseness, add dielectric grease if needed. If that doesn’t work follow the wiring back and check for any cuts or melted wire. If all else fails go get some Depo lights [emoji6]

Sent from my magic 5-inch

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Is there an improper way to apply the grease that might do this? I apply about a half pea sized drop per bulb and spread it around the whole connector...

Sounds about right. I usually add a little more cuz the connectors will scrape and make a connection. The rest just keeps it from wiggling out. If there is no loose bulbs and plenty of grease on the connectors my second guess is to check for broken wires.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It’s probably the circuit board that the bulbs plug into. Cheap fix, 15$ for both on amazon.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You've only replaced the bulb once, right? Just back up to your garage or a wall and hit the brake to confirm both running light and brake light filaments are working. If one is out, swap bulbs L to R. If it's the bulb, the problem will move to the other side. Obviously, if its the pcb or a bad wire, it won't.
That'll be One Hundred Dollars please. ;)

PrettyMolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about turn signals? My turn signals are fine with paring lights off during the day... but as soon as I turn parking lights, on the right blinker hyper blinks like it's shorted and dings the bulb out on dash... left blinker works fine day or night.... all bulbs are brand new, and oe style..

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
What about turn signals? My turn signals are fine with paring lights off during the day... but as soon as I turn parking lights, on the right blinker hyper blinks like it's shorted and dings the bulb out on dash... left blinker works fine day or night.... all bulbs are brand new, and oe style..
Probably the circuit boards like mine. If you have $200, buy a set of depo tails and resistors and be gucci. If you're poor, go to NAPA and get new boards for $16 each.