Key FOB is killing batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having trouble with my Key FOB on my 2007 RAM 1500. The Key FOB has remote start. The FOB keeps killing the batteries... a new battery is only lasting about 1-2 weeks and is only used a few times a week. I have tried two different brands of batteries (Sony and Maxwell). I have checked for loose or bad connections but I see nothing wrong.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution??

Thanks for any input!

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Bumping this back up.

I feel like my key fob is killing off this battery after only a couple months of usage and wondering if its my remote start usage as well.

No solution so far but curious about this as well.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I fought with this in my '06 key for a while.. I ended up realizing through various trials that it wasn't the battery, it was the fob, and the fix is easy.

Open the fob, bend the metal contacts towards the battery and towards the (-) terminal. Make sure there is good pressure on the battery on all sides, also bend the contact for the board away from the battery (IIRC) towards the board (open side). I actually took some foam and put it in there to add some rigidity to the contacts as well.

My remote now works at a decent distance and I haven't changed my battery for over 3 years.

ROSW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I design aftermarket fobs for a company. By far the most common reason for shortened battery life is moisture & dirt inside the enclosure causing the battery to discharge even when not being used. If possible take the remote apart , remove the battery and remove the PCB from any rubber pieces. Then clean the board with spray on flux remover or a similar product. Wait until it dries (it might accumulate moisture due to the cooling affect of the spray) before reassembling it. NOTE USE COMMON SENSE. I CAN NOT EVEN GUESS WHAT REMOTE YOU HAVE SO CAN NOT GUARANTEE THIS PROCEDURE WILL WORK FOR YOU.

OP
OP
S

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried cleaning everything and put another new battery in but it only lasted about one week....I guess I just have a bad key fob.... The keys lay on my console as the truck stays in a garage and there is only one other key on the fob...the problem must be in the electronics of the fob....I just do not know.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Take some pics of the assembly for us... inside, aound the battery, etc.... I'm still convinced you have the same issue I had. ..

OP
OP
S

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could not repair the FOB but found a Solution

Well, for anyone interested I purchased two 4-button key fobs with Remote Start from:
remote key fob, keyless remote replacement items in keyless entry remote store on eBay! for about $37.

I was told by that seller that I could program the new fobs with my one OEM fob (that defective fob would work for about one day with a new battery) and my Transponder key (the grey keys that have no remote entry buttons but will crank the truck and manually open the door). I was also told that I would have to have the new key fobs cut in order to program them as they have to be the third unprogrammed key that you place into the ignition to program keys (as when following the programming instructions in the owner's manual).

I did not want to spend money to cut the keys, so I took my OEM fob key, opened it and removed the electronic board, I then took the new fobs apart and removed their electronic boards. Then I held with my fingers the OEM electronic board in place in the OEM fob and used it as the first key (in other words, the key fob was apart and I merely held the board in place while I turned the ignition on), I used my Transponder key as the second key, and then I quickly removed the OEM electron board from the OEM key fob and took the one of the new electronic boards and held it in the OEM fob with my fingers (which had my OEM cut key) and used it for the third key.

By that method I fooled the truck and programmed the new key fobs without cutting them. Since my OEM key fob does not work correctly, I simply placed one of the new fob electronics into it, and it works fine. I took the other new fob, removed the metal key (it merely slips out when the screw is removed....unlike the OEM key), and placed it on a key ring with the grey Transponder key. So now I have two key fobs that work....one with the original OEM key and one on the key ring with the Transponder key (actually I have two transponder keys so I am set with regards to extra keys...).

Thanks again to everyone who offered good advice and help!!