Leveling blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you all use to level your campers when you get to your destination? I use foot long sections of treated pine 6x6 under the stabilizer Jacks and tongue jack. Under the wheels for leveling I was using scrap pieces of 2x6 about a foot long I picked up for free. Only problem is I've already split 3!

I've looked at the plastic blocks that lock together. They look like they would be nice on hard surfaces, but on gravel I would think they would deform or break and would sink into grass or soft ground.

My father carries tons of blocking on his dually. 10 16-18" sections of oak 6x6. Then he has a couple 4-5' pieces of 2x8. Plus a half dozen or so smaller pieces.

The longer pieces seem to hold up better than the short sections I had, but I still think they would split.

So I thought back to when I worked as a Rigger for a crane service. We had racks of blocking made from a sandwich of 2 by and plywood. Guess what I had sitting in the garage? Some 1/2 ply from my bed mod and lots of 2x4x8 from a project we decided not to do. I used 3 sticks wide. One 72", the other 58". The ends are 45'd. Then the ply is screwed top and bottom. I had an old strap that had cut on my quad frame, so I cut a couple 8" lengths and screwed them to the side for handles. Maybe I'll add a bundle of the Lego blocks to use on these for smaller adjustments.
20151002_172832.jpg

Last edited:

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Lucky for me. I decided to park mine. A bunch of cinder blocks, a few 2x6 pieces and done!

When I drove a crane truck. We had some 2'x2' blocks made from 2x12's. 6 pieces. 2 per layer. Bolted together. Through two bolts on one side I sandwich a nylons strap (you could use some old ratchet straps) between a layer to make a handle.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Short sections of dimensional lumber split easily but can still be used. Using pieces 12" or longer seems to help keep them from splitting. Plywood or OSB are much more durable but generally aren't as thick. I mainly run with some 4x6 blocks for major leveling efforts, a few 2X6 pieces and some scraps of plywood for "fine tuning". The plastic blocks you can buy would work but a lot more expensive than wood scraps. I also just use firewood for wheel chocks for the same reason.

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Andersen for sure! Level in around two minutes. No fuss. When we're going home we just hook up and drive off. They work perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup, I use the Andersons too. They work great, especially if leveling by yourself.