Limp Mode Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When mine was being written up, one of the secretaries was there and the tech mentioned that her truck ran out, in the parking lot of the dealer. He said it went to idle and that was it. They had to push the truck up the incline to get it into the door of the shop because at idle it wouldn't go up the incline.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What happens if you don't make it? Does the truck just shut down and need a tow?
It will idle, but you won't really go anywhere from what I've been told. I didn't let mine get that far though. You'll need a tow.

Even though.... the engine is fine and the truck will actually run and drive perfectly fine, the computer essentially shuts it down.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update: It was a week yesterday since I dropped it off. They said it will be two days to get the new DPF.
I called them yesterday, What's up? The guy tells me they are waiting for part to come in. I told him , You said the part was two days.
Then he says Oh, the mechanic said it needs a new DEF Injector. We are waiting for that. Should be here the 26th.
Me: What!
Him: Let me double check the part order. Then he says it should be here tomorrow.

Today is Friday. Looks slim the chance I will have my truck back for this weekend.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welcome to the new post covid (rolling eyes) world. Parts and shipping for anything is a crap shoot these days. Honestly your timeline is looking pretty good compared to most I have seen, could be a Lot worse. I've seen people waiting months for parts.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep... when my failure happened last spring the wait time for a DEF injector (my issue) and pump was 6 months....

The wife was heading out of town the next day and she was already in a rental car while her Expedition was in the shop waiting on a transmission (also 6 months) so it left me with no option but to delete the truck. I had to overnight a delete kit out of California and delete it in the driveway. I know a lot of people can't do that, but that was the only thing that saved me with these crazy lead times.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yep... when my failure happened last spring the wait time for a DEF injector (my issue) and pump was 6 months....

The wife was heading out of town the next day and she was already in a rental car while her Expedition was in the shop waiting on a transmission (also 6 months) so it left me with no option but to delete the truck. I had to overnight a delete kit out of California and delete it in the driveway. I know a lot of people can't do that, but that was the only thing that saved me with these crazy lead times.
I was really close to doing this as well when my DEF pump went out and they were on indefinite nationwide back order. The evening before I was going start working on the delete, a new DEF pump at the normal price popped up on EBay. I did not hesitate hitting buy.

I am for reducing emissions. However, people got to live their lives and make a living. It should be legal to delete when there is a chronic shortage of critical parts that take a portion of the fleet out of service for an indefinite time. Basically without those parts and the inability to delete you have a very expensive paperweight that is essentially worthless. You can’t drive it and you can’t sell it. Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Welcome to the new post covid (rolling eyes) world. Parts and shipping for anything is a crap shoot these days. Honestly your timeline is looking pretty good compared to most I have seen, could be a Lot worse. I've seen people waiting months for parts.

That was an excuse a year or two ago, but doesn't fly now. The market is flooded with aftermarket parks. I can get DEF injectors from Amazon and have them in a day or two.
It's really the manufacturers cutting their expenses by not keeping full stock of parts. I'm sure their stockholders are very happy that they don't waste money by having a bunch of warehouses around the country sitting full of parts.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That was an excuse a year or two ago, but doesn't fly now. The market is flooded with aftermarket parks. I can get DEF injectors from Amazon and have them in a day or two.
It's really the manufacturers cutting their expenses by not keeping full stock of parts. I'm sure their stockholders are very happy that they don't waste money by having a bunch of warehouses around the country sitting full of parts.
Aftermarket parts... maybe. However, those aftermarket parts instantly void the Cummins warranty if you have one. So it isn't an option for some.

Supply chain issues are still very real. We deal with them every day. People don't want to work which in turn slows down production of components. That makes its way up the chain to the end product.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Aftermarket parts... maybe. However, those aftermarket parts instantly void the Cummins warranty if you have one. So it isn't an option for some.

Supply chain issues are still very real. We deal with them every day. People don't want to work which in turn slows down production of components. That makes its way up the chain to the end product.

I didn't plan on using aftermarket parts. Just illustrating that factories are producing again.
People don't want to work and companies don't want to pay. Let's see who blinks first.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Go ahead and use the aftermarket parts. If it's easily serviced (def nozzle or NOx sensor for example) and the cheaper part gets you out of a bind, let it rip.

The bulk of the aftertreatment system is made from cheap junk anyway.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Turnover has been a massive issue for some of my customers - they are constantly training new people, which is leading to quality issues for them. At one point they contracted us to do maintenance on their machines (we built most of them anyway) because their skilled trades were mostly new.

Bigger issue is just the supply chain being messed up. Period. Look at the Panama Canal - the lake that supplies it is at historic low levels due to a lack of rain/snowfall. That's drastically slowing down shipments through the canal, almost as bad as the blockage of the Suez Canal a couple years ago. It takes a LONG time to go around Africa/South America.

It's not just a people issue.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've seen quite a few companies increasing pay. Our company does a cost of living adjustment each year on top of our annual raises. I know that some of the factories around us are doing similar things. Not all, but some.

But these companies that think they have to raise pay (or people who demand higher pay) are sitting on a double edged sword. People want more pay for less output. Then companies have to increase pay just to get people to work which in turn requires them to increase the cost of their products to maintain their bottom line. Now the consumer makes more money, but that money has less buying power so the net result isn't truly positive.

If we're lucky, we all end up breaking even. More likely than not though we're going to see a negative result when everything settles down.
I didn't plan on using aftermarket parts. Just illustrating that factories are producing again.
People don't want to work and companies don't want to pay. Let's see who blinks first.
Yes, factories are producing again but the output is not at the same level as pre-covid. 2003F350 made another good point. There are multiple variables working against us right now. The supply chain is a mess all around. It probably will be for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got my truck back today. No charge under the 50,000 mile emission warranty. Truck just turned 48,000 when I brought it in.
1 hr labor diagnostics. 2.3hr labor for the work.
Parts: 68379574AA Exhaust Gasket; 4627241AF DEF Injector; 68630315AA Catalytic.
DPF gauge is back to "0". 40 mile ride home and it didn't budge.