Locking rear differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whats up with the rear differential on my dodge? Has anyone got a breakaway or diagram of this mechanism?

Never noticed it before but when you put it in 4wd some sort of solenoid must lock the differential making it like a solid axle. Mine sticks (after switching transfer case to 2wd) and stays locked till you make a hard turn and hit the gas so there must be something wrong. Couldn't find a breakaway to see what might be sticking.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may want to mention what kind of dodge you have.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know I have typed like 8 things in this black box, and deleted every one of them because they didn't sound nice, and this has always been a nice forum so I'll restrict myself from polluting it with my sarcasm.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you buy it used? If so, someone could have installed a lunchbox locker, or a full detroit locker. But, I'm not sure there are any automatically locking differentials from the factory, it would require a switch...

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried putting it in reverse after switching to 2wd? Sometimes you will need to back the truck up a foot or so to fully disengage it. Basically you need to take all the load off of the driveline to get it to disengage.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes JPT, used. There are wires going to the rear end. Can't tell if it looks stock or aftermarket. I know it did have larger tires on it at one point because when I had normal tires the speedo was way off. I have access to the scanner to adjust it but chose to buy bigger tires instead.

Justin I will try the reverse trick today, thanks for the tip.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it is factory, it could be malfunctioning. There is no reason to have a locking rear diff on the road (if selectable). Limited slip, sure, but locking, no.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried putting it in reverse after switching to 2wd? Sometimes you will need to back the truck up a foot or so to fully disengage it. Basically you need to take all the load off of the driveline to get it to disengage.

I think you mean the transfer case, not a locking axle. I've never had an issue with a selectable locker not disengaging because they typically require some type of load to stay locked (air for ARB, cable for OX lockers, and electricity for others).

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you mean the transfer case, not a locking axle. I've never had an issue with a selectable locker not disengaging because they typically require some type of load to stay locked (air for ARB, cable for OX lockers, and electricity for others).

Yeah you're right, I must have missed the part where he said it was his rear axle locking. For some reason I was thinking his 4wd was getting stuck on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca