Looking at a 3rd gen... advice appreciated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgraham17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone, new here but not new to Dodge. Had a 1997 Ram that I loved but sold it a few years ago and have since been motorcycle and wife's car only. Time to get another truck... can't go motorcycle only anymore.
I've had great luck with Dodge have not been super picky on other brands anyway - last truck was a Chevrolet and I won't have another, at least not this time around. Looking at a 2002 (guy says 2002.5 b/c it has newer body style) Ram Quad cab with the 4.7 and a long bed. I'd rather have the Hemi and the regular bed, but the price and mileage are right on this one.

Guy is asking $5500 and it only shows 98000ish miles. I looked at it today and drove it a short distance but couldn't get on the highway. Didn't see or feel any glaring faults other than interior plastic crap like cupholder needs work, needs tires soon, and needs headlights. He's done lots of maintenance, which I verified. (Ball joints, control arms, radiator, brakes)

I tried to do a title search and came up with some info - you can search a title on FL DMV site and get basic info like title status. The mileage online says "exempt." What does this mean? My car title info says the actual mileage even though it's really high. I know there were some dash issues, maybe it was swapped? Guy seems legit and trustworthy, but he bought it secondhand and hasn't had it that long (he got a diesel).
Anything I should look out for on this thing? Anyone have a Carfax subscrip? I don't mind paying for a carfax but $40 for one report is pretty steep. Anyone recommend another VIN check service besides carfax?

Here's the CL ad:
Late 2002 (2003 body style) Dodge Ram Quad Cab Ext Bed

Thanks in advance. Please PM if you can help me out with the carfax. I don't mind paypal'n some $ for it.

OP
OP
M

mgraham17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
btw, also looked at a 2003 2500 with the Hemi, quad cab regular bed. Any particular advantage to the 2500 if I'm not going to be hauling/towing big loads? It had almost 140k and didn't need anything (good tires, etc.) but had cig burns all over and no maintenance records other than complete AC replacement recently. I'd consider this one too, but he also wants $8400. With the other truck plus $3g, I could make it like new...

Other advice? $8k MAX budget (not incl tax/tag), must be able to pull medium bike trailer or haul a bike, must have 4 doors or easily accomodate a kiddie seat (7month old). I looked at CR-v's, 4 runners, trucks of all kinds, older acura mdx/honda pilot... not too picky but I need a quality vehicle. I ended up back at a truck... Gas mileage not really a factor b/c not a daily driver. Don't need 4wd, don't need to tow big ass trailers. Currently pull small bike trailer with wife's civic, but it struggles and it can't be good for it.

RedRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up!
I'm only saying this bc I experienced it when looking for my truck which took months and endless Carfax runs.
A Carfax will "ONLY" show whats been reported. I looked at countless vehicles that were noticebly wrecked at some point and guess what? Carfax was squeeky clean. Me personally will never pay for another Carfax.
Inspect the **** out of it yourself, from top to botton and inside to out. Even pull some carpet up and look under it. Roll around on the ground and make sure its not a heap of a rust bucket. See how much rubber is married to the fender well.lol Tells you if its been cared for. So many vehicles look pretty on the outside but you get to digging and you'll be suprised what you find. Go with which truck looks like its been cared for the most.