Looking into a direct-fit muffler for a little more noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with Pypes violator kit, sounds good I have no drone in a 17 Rebel Hemi, and my wife didnt even notice until my kids ratted me out...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Um, what do you mean?

What I mean is that most mufflers that are louder won't be the same size as the stock unit. But it's only a matter of adding a bit of pipe to the inlet end to make up for the shorter length. That will entail a small bit of welding.

Having a smaller diameter body is not a fitment issue so ignore the comment there.

If your system has the single in / dual out muffler, Magnaflow makes several sizes of those that will match your pipe size. All you'll need, as stated, is some extra pipe to make up the difference in length.

Of course, it would be nice to find one that fits your truck exactly but that may be difficult.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I mean is that most mufflers that are louder won't be the same size as the stock unit. But it's only a matter of adding a bit of pipe to the inlet end to make up for the shorter length. That will entail a small bit of welding.

Having a smaller diameter body is not a fitment issue so ignore the comment there.

If your system has the single in / dual out muffler, Magnaflow makes several sizes of those that will match your pipe size. All you'll need, as stated, is some extra pipe to make up the difference in length.

Of course, it would be nice to find one that fits your truck exactly but that may be difficult.

Good luck with your search.

Yeah, usually the smaller the muffler, the louder it is because.... there’s nothing to it. lol.

Mine is the single inlet, dual outlet and if that magnaflo Mufflex muffler’s the one you’re talking about, they look as though they are set up to be exact factory replacements with no extra pipe needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There's usually plenty of heft and length to them. The differences in length aren't significant but they do require some added pipe.

I wasn't talking about the Mufflex. Lots of posts here about that and most like it, some don't, as it is quite a bit louder than stock. I was referring to the Magnaflow Performance straight through mufflers.

SteveRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Flowmaster 817568 on my 17 Big Horn Hemi. Absolutely bolt on. Very nice. Not much drone at all, even better when I lock out the MDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhill29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Carvan competitor and have gotten a lot of great compliments. It's loud when you get on it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Flowmaster 817568 on my 17 Big Horn Hemi. Absolutely bolt on. Very nice. Not much drone at all, even better when I lock out the MDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it could just be the sound quality of the video but it sounds like the American Thunder one like what you got is only quieter at idle and sounds pretty good under acceleration whereas the outlaw is definitely louder at idle but didn’t seem loud at all when he took off...lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Carvan competitor and have gotten a lot of great compliments. It's loud when you get on it.

How loud is it exactly? I noticed I have resonators on each tail pipe so is that competitor really that much louder than the progressive?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Carven Competitor sure does sound good, tho.... damn...[emoji18]

Last edited:

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhausts are so subjective that it is very difficult to get a firm opinion until you have heard them. I have the progressive. it is loud in my opinion. I absolutely love the sound. My wife, she could take it or leave it. Her biggest issue is 5:30 am cold starts. Sometimes it wakes her, sometimes it does not. It has never woken up my kids whose bedrooms are further away from where I park - so that is good. On the other had, my neighbor has a ford with the smaller turbo engine and it has the most ridiculous engine / exhaust noise I have ever heard on a truck (stock). The pitch is so bad it is almost indescribable. That has woken my son up, but he is on the side of the house closest their driveway. I would suggest trying to meet up with people in your area that have an aftermarket exhaust and get an idea of what you are looking at before buying one.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhausts are so subjective that it is very difficult to get a firm opinion until you have heard them. I have the progressive. it is loud in my opinion. I absolutely love the sound. My wife, she could take it or leave it. Her biggest issue is 5:30 am cold starts. Sometimes it wakes her, sometimes it does not. It has never woken up my kids whose bedrooms are further away from where I park - so that is good. On the other had, my neighbor has a ford with the smaller turbo engine and it has the most ridiculous engine / exhaust noise I have ever heard on a truck (stock). The pitch is so bad it is almost indescribable. That has woken my son up, but he is on the side of the house closest their driveway. I would suggest trying to meet up with people in your area that have an aftermarket exhaust and get an idea of what you are looking at before buying one.

Oh yeah, that’s really the only way to do it, is to hear someone else’s exhaust in person because YouTube don’t give you the full effect.

Yeah, I think both the progressive and the competitor series sound excellent on film but I don’t know how loud they are in the cab. I would imagine that if the resonators are left in place on the factory tail pipes that really the only drone you should hear is when the MDS kicks on. Speaking of MDS, I assume you run with your MDS off? I don’t know what year model truck truck you got, or if you got that 8-speed or not but at least with mine, I can simply shut that MDS off with just a simple press of a button on my steering wheel. I’d have to do that every time, but at least it’s a cheaper alternative to having to buy a tuner and an unlocked ECM to completely disable it.

I’m kinda starting to think that the more I think about all this, and ponder it, that I think I would kinda rather have something a bit louder than stock, but I still don’t want something so incredibly loud that I would have to play my music loud all the time to drown it out, or have to be yelling all the time to have conversations with passengers. That’s how life was with the old truck, and that no resonator, dual cat-back Thrush muffler. Lol. She sounded good but it had no on/off switch...lol.

Last edited:

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a 2017 CC Big Horn. You know the exhaust is there when driving down the road. I always disable MDS using the buttons on the wheel. Drone is subjective too - what I call drone you might not even hear. I can tell you that with windows up and radio at 11 I am all set when doing 70 on the highway. Its just not terribly loud, IMO, but others may disagree. Radio at 15 and I barely hear the exhaust.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I realize there’s probably a ton of these threads on here asking about this but, I figured a more up-to-date thread would be in order but, what’s a good, direct-fit, bolt-on muffler that’s not too absurdly loud? I’m not an old man, but I’m definitely not a kid anymore, if ya know what I mean...[emoji16]

Considering that since it probably wouldn’t be too terribly hard to eventually get used to pushing the gear button my steering wheel to keep the MDS off but, what if I was to not wanna shut the MDS off, and still get some decent sound without that, “whip-whip-whip-whip” helicopter sound when it kicked in?

I guess more or less what I’m looking for in this new muffler is maybe just a little bit more sound over stock. MDS or not, I really don’t want any drone(especially), and I really don’t want a whole lot of noise in the cab. I mean, a little is fine like when I get on it and want it loud but, for the most part, fairly tame. Lol.

Main thing is just no drone. Second would be not too terribly obnoxious. Third, has to be a bolt-on replacement like this Carven Progessive muffler.

Does anything like that exist?

I have a 14” Direct fit Magnaflow muffler for sale
It’s in the for sale section
It’s a bit louder and I never had any drone with it

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the Carven competitor on my truck. Was on there when I got my truck. I think it sounds great, there is not a ton of drone at all. You can hear a little bit with the windows up but sounds great when you get on it. I barely hear it cruising around 35mph then hear it more around 45mph. But I like it, my resonators are on still. Just my opinion, I have not compared to anything else and don't plan on removing it at all.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a 2017 CC Big Horn. You know the exhaust is there when driving down the road. I always disable MDS using the buttons on the wheel. Drone is subjective too - what I call drone you might not even hear.
To me, drone is that certain octave, ear drum-splitting whaaaaaaaaaaaaaw that’s really uncomfortable at that certain RPM. Kinda like that Cherry Bomb Extreme on an 04 Dakota with that baby V-8.. lol. Sounded good but man...lol.

Most people call that choppy sound from the MDS as drone but I just call that annoying...lol.

I can tell you that with windows up and radio at 11 I am all set when doing 70 on the highway. Its just not terribly loud, IMO, but others may disagree. Radio at 15 and I barely hear the exhaust.

Hmm...[emoji846]

Uncle Damo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
flowmaster has a bolt in outlaw and american thunder and a new flowfx. corsa is full catback and pricey. my brother in law had it. great sound no drone empty wallet lol. he had a solo mach40 muffler before that and was pretty nice but still droned with mds

I had the Outlaw for 3 months. It sounded terrible with MDS on, but I disabled MDS with a tuner anyway. It sounded really good when into the pedal, but in the end the drone drove me crazy so I removed it. I ended up getting a S&B CAI from Moe's, and that added enough of a sound increase to satisfy me.