Magnaflow Low Speed Drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgenge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had a MF muffler 12278 installed and the drone is way too loud. It happens between 1500-2000 rpm in every gear (8 speed). And i'm considering reinstalling the stock muffler after just 2 days. Does this sound disappear after the muffler is broken in or get worse?? Thanks

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
same or worse, personally I like it but it will be LOUD at 2k rpms on a road trip.

I haven't tried this personally, but everyone says if you take the resonators off it will stop doing that, but be a little louder/raspier at WOT.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have the Jones 14" which I've heard is basically the same design...

I also have the drone in the lower RPM range... Mostly worse just driving around town... I am thinking it is mainly from the MDS once it is engaged... Once I reach highway RPMs 1600-2K RPMs the Drone is gone... Pretty much as quiet as the stock muffler...

But the MDS causes all kinds of Unwanted Sounds... Diablo will remedie this...

I would like to hear from other owners who have the 14" whom have removed the resonators if the drone left with the removal... I know there will always be some...

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was always under the impression the resonators were there to help eliminate as much of the resonance (drone) as possible,,, not there to create it,,,

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
SlowRoller: I have always thought the same... I was only curious what the end result was from removing them...

Thus the reason I left them on during the install of the 14" Jones... I knew from other owners posts that the 14" design had a reputation for producing more drone then the 18" & larger...

I have also read where the resonators are just a chambered style mini muffer... {Not a Straight Through Design}... Honestly as small as they are! I can't imagine-->Removing them would take away little if any of the drone...

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
From a high level view... the resonator is not designed to decrease volume, its there to stop the raspy, crackling noises you hear with straight pipes. The muffler is what changes the volume.

Resonator and Muffler are not the same. The resonator will cancel out a certain frequency range, generally, its the higher end, as the stock muffler cancels out the lower volume all together. I think opening up more air flow with the magnaflow and leaving the stock resonator ends up having a "reverse effect" if you will.

IMO....

Last edited:

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Corsa.... Personally I like mine. I just wish they would make an extreme kit for our trucks

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I tried to get you to check out the 50 hd flowmaster. You even said the video of my truck sounds good, and in the same sentence you asked for the part # of the MF. LOL

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wifes 11 Mustang w/V-6 had resos behind the X pipe / in front of the muffs. (Might have been in front of the X, but either way, they were in the headpipes before the muffs. Muffs were behind the rear axle)

I have seen ~reso's~ (or perhaps some kind of noise cancelling device) on GM products behind the axle / just before the exhaust outlet that are oval shaped like a small chambered ****.

I believe the ones we have are 'glasspack/torpedo' shaped and are straight through.

Anybody got a pic of one that shows what's inside? We LOVE pics!!!!!!

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
This is why I tell people over and over not to use a magnadrone or a dronemaster muffler they are nasty and have been since the day they where conceived. I know I have been stupid enough to use them more than once.
Use a Gibson exhaust sounds great and no drone anytime or anywhere in the rpm range.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Almost any aftermarket exhaust that increases the volume (sound) of the exhaust is going to have some drone to it, it's just the nature of the beast (especially when MDS is active).

That's why the stock muffler is so huge and is followed up by resonators.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Instead of doing the Muffler Shuffle! I will wait until I disable the MDS with the Diablo I order to see if that helps with the little drone I have...

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of doing the Muffler Shuffle! I will wait until I disable the MDS with the Diablo I order to see if that helps with the little drone I have...

Just drive it in Tow/Haul mode to see if it drones with mds off. Typically the drone is much less with it off...

Reactions: SyN

BigChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^The diablo I have checks which vehicle you have via docking, then asks you to go download the appropriate program and installs it on the device. If that helps...

On to drone: I have the biggest magnaflow universal and cutting out the resonators after a few months made the burble and gurgle go away. I am also running the 93 octane diablo tune atm so that may have an affect.

I personally love the sound of my engine and turn off my radio + roll down my windows so I can listen to it.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Put a Super 44 on my 4.7 Commander. If the drone is too much, that's what the Boston Acoustic sound system is for! icon10.gif

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the sound of my MagnaFlow and have no drone to it, just nice low end growl. I hated the drone I had with a Flowmaster 50HD. All personal opinions and you will get a different one from everyone.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I love the sound of my MagnaFlow and have no drone to it, just nice low end growl. I hated the drone I had with a Flowmaster 50HD. All personal opinions and you will get a different one from everyone.

What size of MF did you install? Did you delete the resonators?

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Anyone who eliminates the 24" stock muffler and goes to a 14-18" is gonna have drone with MDS on or not. It's gonna get loud with resonators on or off as well. Problem is everyone wants a louder rumbling exhaust but then complains about the drone issues. I went with the 16869 cat back which has a 22" magnaflow and occasionally you get a little drone. Depends on gear and rpm. It does have real nice tone but not overbearing.

If you are gonna upgrade your exhaust you have to be prepared for this. Especially with a 14" don't care which brand. Also, you can help to Elminate cab noise by sound deadening the cab. Start with the back wall. I put breathable cotton over my vents when I did as well to help cut down on noise. It gets addicting because I then ripped out the entire interior. Lol,