Magnaflow Low Speed Drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone who eliminates the 24" stock muffler and goes to a 14-18" is gonna have drone with MDS on or not. It's gonna get loud with resonators on or off as well. Problem is everyone wants a louder rumbling exhaust but then complains about the drone issues. I went with the 16869 cat back which has a 22" magnaflow and occasionally you get a little drone. Depends on gear and rpm. It does have real nice tone but not overbearing.

If you are gonna upgrade your exhaust you have to be prepared for this. Especially with a 14" don't care which brand. Also, you can help to Elminate cab noise by sound deadening the cab. Start with the back wall. I put breathable cotton over my vents when I did as well to help cut down on noise. It gets addicting because I then ripped out the entire interior. Lol,

This is the same exhaust system I put in just in black. I also have a ton of sound deadening from my stereo install. Don't notice any drone but love the sound when I step on it.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Corsa.... Personally I like mine. I just wish they would make an extreme kit for our trucks

I'll never stray from corsas. I bought Maggies in the past to save money. ended up with so much drone, I sold them for a loss ended up at Corsa. Haven't bought any other brand exhaust for years now.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of doing the Muffler Shuffle! I will wait until I disable the MDS with the Diablo I order to see if that helps with the little drone I have...

Your sig says you have the 8 speed, it's very easy to disable mds with the 8 speed, just push the manual downshift button then upshift back till you see 8. You will have all 8 gears available without mds. Once you shift to any other gear than drive it will reactivate mds.
I'm happy with my 18 inch jones muffler. Much tamer than my near straight pipe I had before.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Btw, on the 16869 a lot of the sound is in the tips... Take them off and it's half as loud.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your sig says you have the 8 speed, it's very easy to disable mds with the 8 speed, just push the manual downshift button then upshift back till you see 8. You will have all 8 gears available without mds. Once you shift to any other gear than drive it will reactivate mds.
I'm happy with my 18 inch jones muffler. Much tamer than my near straight pipe I had before.

Always wondered why it showed the "8" in there then if you pressed plus one more time it goes to blank indicating default setting.

Anyone care to answer as to why the Challenger sounds a little sweeter on take off with a muffler than the Ram? Must be other components right?

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always wondered why it showed the "8" in there then if you pressed plus one more time it goes to blank indicating default setting.

Anyone care to answer as to why the Challenger sounds a little sweeter on take off with a muffler than the Ram? Must be other components right?

Same size tubing and tips? My first guess would be its the difference in either of those. Could really be any combination of exhaust components though they will all make a difference to some degree (headers, cats, piping sizes, tips, resonators)

Last edited:

eticket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the sound of my MagnaFlow and have no drone to it, just nice low end growl. I hated the drone I had with a Flowmaster 50HD. All personal opinions and you will get a different one from everyone.

I have the 18 inch maganaflow and there is no drone...

Just my 2 cents...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
On second kit of the #16869, love the sound, but it's a larger muffler than a 14"....just perfect for me.

just plain bill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I just installed the Magnaflow #16869 kit and I love the new sound.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 18 inch maganaflow and there is no drone...

Just my 2 cents...

Kinda the same for me, but only if the truck is light (me and my wife). With 6 people and the bed full of camping stuff and it's droning at around 1500rpm.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had drone so bad with the muffler delete from mufflex It was driving me crazy. Sounded like you had a rear window cracked a little bit and getting that intermittent drumming. Disabled Mds with my Diablo and it's fine now. I still hear it at low rpms but it sounds like a normal truck. Actually seems like I get the same mileage too. Maybe even better mileage cause I'm not giving it gas to kick it out of 4 cyl mode

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
exhaust tones are subjective, i have yet to experience an aftermarket set up that doesnt drone at some point in the band and i've tried or sold/installed them all through the years!