MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted a V8!!
MDS always off via tuner.

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Off for stop&go/city driving,
on for Hwy/long trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
I disabled the MDS on my truck because I bought the truck for a V8 engine, nothing less.

Plus with my aftermarket exhaust, the truck sounds better with MDS off.
(I used a DiabloSport programmer and programmed computer module).

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I disable my MDS for in town driving....I'll leave it on for highway trips.

Either way I'm only getting 12-15mpg (lots of in town mileage). Once I stretch it out on my drive to California in February...hoping to hit 18. I'll experiement with the MDS a bit on the 4500 miles out there and back...see if on or off makes a mileage difference.

Yobuck139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 PW Laramie and sticker said with mds. I don’t know if it’s on or off. Is there an indicator light that tells you if it’s on or engaged? Or how do you turn it on & off? I have 8.4 display and coulomb shifter. I obviously didn’t buy for great fuel mileage but would like to know if it works. Thanx

bigdodge

Reaction score
When u see the Eco light up that's the indication that is active I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When u see the Eco light up that's the indication that is active I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Actually, if seen mentioned several times by other members on here that that’s not necessarily true. Just because the eco light is on doesn’t necessarily mean the MDS is activated..........but who knows for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
eco light just means your driving nice and easy for good fuel mileage.
The 2 are not connected.

Yobuck139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve never seen eco light. I’m wondering if my truck even has MDS. How would I know?

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
An easy solution is to just push on the gas pedal a little more any time MDS turns on. :owned:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve never seen eco light. I’m wondering if my truck even has MDS. How would I know?

There is a setting in the UConnect to turn it on. When I got my Rebel it wasn't showing...looked around in the settings and there it was...something like "Show ECO light on dash".

Check it out.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you have a 2006 or later Dodge Hemi, you have MDS. On the 09, it's not "eco", but "Fuel Saver". I've heard conflicting reports on whether it really indicates MDS active or not, so until I get the straight info from FCA...

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well according to this link the ECO light means it's in 4 cyl mode
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-d665_ds775326

We all know everything on the internet is true......
Well, that’s definitely not true.
As stated many many times in various discussions here regarding MDS, the ECO light is not an indicator that MDS is actually active. However, because the ECO light is an indicator of a fuel efficient (light) driving style, and MDS only kicks in under such a condition, we can assume that whenever MDS is being activated by the engine management, the ECO light will already show in the cluster.

I turned the MDS off, using a tuner, still get the ECO light in the dash.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't mind the MDS if it worked more seamlessly. I'll be cruising around town at 35-40 with MDS on no problem, but when I start going uphill I naturally press the gas to compensate. The truck vibrates for a couple of seconds as it tries to accelerate in MDS mode up the hill and then it will switch off. It's very annoying if you live in an area with many hills like I do.

I drove up in the Carolina's during Thanksgiving and actually got better mileage with it off. At least my '15 doesn't have auto start/stop...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What DavidN said abouve is 100% TRUE .
Just can't say it better than that .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What I find interesting is the lack of ANYTHING in the 2017 owners manual about MDS or the ECO light

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
On my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, with the 5.7L HEMI, I turned off the MDS thru my SuperChips CORTEX tuner, 2 years ago, not much difference in fuel mileage noted.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I turn MDS off using the paddle shifters every time I start the truck. With the MDS off that way the ECO light never comes on (it's enabled in the settings). If I forget to turn the MDS off, I see the ECO light all the time, so at least in that respect the two are connected, and its a good reminder to me to turn the MDS off the next time I stop. Whether a visible ECO light positively equals active MDS, unknown.

On highway trips, with the MDS off, I routinely see about 1+ mpg better fuel economy. Ran with it on and off for several trips this past summer to make sure I wasn't seeing a fluke. Don't bother to look at fuel economy in around driving as it generally isn't worth looking at.