Misfire in valve 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RafySurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New here,

Well, scanner detected a misfire in valve 8. I’ve read that it can be the plug, plug cable, maybe the spring or worst case scenario the lifters. Also know that this is a problem with the Hemi 5.7 2010- 2013.

Has anyone here had this problem?

If at the end of the day when they open up is the lifters and I got them fix. Will the Mopar new ones will last more or the same mileage?

What is the average lifespan of a Hemi 5.7 with good maintenance?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m concerned about my Truck and the expenses I will have next week.

Excuse my English

Rafy

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lifters and cams are a issue in all vvt Hemis. Seems to be a roll of the dice if you have issue or not. I can foresee I am going to have issues. Thats one reason I am selling off all the aftermarket goodies.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Alan Summers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the exact same issue Rafysurf, just a different cylinder (3). I have attached pics of my lifters and cam. Odds are you have the same problem and it will only get worse. If you get on it quick enough you may save the cam and additional materials (that metal has to go somewhere) in the oil/engine. It is an expensive fix but while you are in there you may as well do all of the lifters. The claim is that the replacement lifters are the newer ones with better design and better materials, I think they are the hellcat lifters, or at least that is what I was told.

Unfortunately, in my case, after the lifter replacement, the problem returned on another cylinder (6). And it effected my MDS. I suspect some debris or materials maybe blocked the MDS oil passages. So mine required a second foray into the motor.

Pay particular attention to the motor oil that you use and make sure it stays topped off. Based on what I have read here I switched to Royal Purple 5w20 (RP has some zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) additives that other oils may not have). Every oil change I now include a can or half can of liqui moly. The second time in, swapped the injector, plug, coil pack, rockers and rods from the affected cylinder to another cylinder and replaced the MDS solenoids, the problem stayed with #6. Oddly enough the RP oil cleared up my second problem on its own and no codes for 1000 miles now.

The bad news is that now I am fighting declining gas mileage. Another story for another day.

If you have the time and are so inclined you can pull the valve cover on that bank and verify if the lifter or valve have an issue. I am not sure of the life expectancy of the early 4th gen hemi's. But I am sure that the lifter failure is an expensive fix. My issues began at about 96k miles. I kept my maintenance up to date other than I let plugs go about twice as long as recommended.

Good luck RafySurf.

IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1958.JPG

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifters and cams are a issue in all vvt Hemis. Seems to be a roll of the dice if you have issue or not. I can foresee I am going to have issues. Thats one reason I am selling off all the aftermarket goodies.

Do you believe lifter durability is related to the MDS?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you believe lifter durability is related to the MDS?
I'm not a engine builder so what I think could be wrong. I don't think iys the design of the MDS I think its the quality of parts that are used in the system. These MDS motors have been around for over 12 years. You would like to beleive they would of fixed it by now. Plus not all engines have issues. I dont know what the percentage is but from reading on here its a 50-50 mix.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a engine builder so what I think could be wrong. I don't think iys the design of the MDS I think its the quality of parts that are used in the system. These MDS motors have been around for over 12 years. You would like to beleive they would of fixed it by now. Plus not all engines have issues. I dont know what the percentage is but from reading on here its a 50-50 mix.

The problem with online forums and reviews is always negative bias. People who have problems are likely to come and complain, while thousands who enjoy trouble free ownership will never even think to come and say anything. If 50% of Ram owners truly had major engine problems with their trucks the brand would be absolute crap, instead Ram has been gaining market share steadily since the Hemi was reintroduced in the early 00's. While I'm sure there were some problems at first, as there are problems with any new technology, I'd say as a whole those have been handled pretty well.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The problem with online forums and reviews is always negative bias. People who have problems are likely to come and complain, while thousands who enjoy trouble free ownership will never even think to come and say anything. If 50% of Ram owners truly had major engine problems with their trucks the brand would be absolute crap, instead Ram has been gaining market share steadily since the Hemi was reintroduced in the early 00's. While I'm sure there were some problems at first, as there are problems with any new technology, I'd say as a whole those have been handled pretty well.
I have personally owned a 04 1500, 05 2500, 09 1500 and now my 14 1500. The 04 and 05 had exhaust manifold bolts break. My 09 had exhaust manifold bolts break, low oil pressure and a knock in the bottom end. Also the trans was going out. Traded that in for the 14. Now again im dealing with exhaust manifold bolts and lifter noise. So I would say that yes Ram has issues.
The reason these trucks are popular is the style, the word Hemi, and the bang you get for your dollar. I stayed with the brand out of the big 3 cause I am a mopar guy and who continue to be.

OP
OP
R

RafySurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the exact same issue Rafysurf, just a different cylinder (3). I have attached pics of my lifters and cam. Odds are you have the same problem and it will only get worse. If you get on it quick enough you may save the cam and additional materials (that metal has to go somewhere) in the oil/engine. It is an expensive fix but while you are in there you may as well do all of the lifters. The claim is that the replacement lifters are the newer ones with better design and better materials, I think they are the hellcat lifters, or at least that is what I was told.

Unfortunately, in my case, after the lifter replacement, the problem returned on another cylinder (6). And it effected my MDS. I suspect some debris or materials maybe blocked the MDS oil passages. So mine required a second foray into the motor.

Pay particular attention to the motor oil that you use and make sure it stays topped off. Based on what I have read here I switched to Royal Purple 5w20 (RP has some zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) additives that other oils may not have). Every oil change I now include a can or half can of liqui moly. The second time in, swapped the injector, plug, coil pack, rockers and rods from the affected cylinder to another cylinder and replaced the MDS solenoids, the problem stayed with #6. Oddly enough the RP oil cleared up my second problem on its own and no codes for 1000 miles now.

The bad news is that now I am fighting declining gas mileage. Another story for another day.

If you have the time and are so inclined you can pull the valve cover on that bank and verify if the lifter or valve have an issue. I am not sure of the life expectancy of the early 4th gen hemi's. But I am sure that the lifter failure is an expensive fix. My issues began at about 96k miles. I kept my maintenance up to date other than I let plugs go about twice as long as recommended.

Good luck RafySurf.

View attachment 131862 View attachment 131863 View attachment 131864
Thank you for explaining your take on this

Alan Summers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The roll out version of any new designs can always be subject to design issues, build issues, etc. Just the way it is with any technology, as time progresses the kinks can be worked out. I have only heard of the lifter/cam issues on 09-11's. I had the manifold bolt issues also. Gotta keep in mind that these are high tech machines and there will be failures. Heck my washing machine which is simple technology in comparison had electrical issues in the first year, the relative repair cost was more than the relative repair cost of my Ram.

I don't think the ratio of severe problems is 50%-50%, maybe 5%-95%. But stonedude is right, this is the forum for sharing experiences. And when most people are looking for experiences or advice, etc. it usually is because they have an issue. The lifter problem is rare enough that there are no recalls and few technical bulletins.

My opinion is that the MDS design could impact the lifters/cams, it just looks like they could starve for oil when the MDS is active. But it is probably more related to lifter design and materials. Overall I love my Ram, bought it in 2014 with 30k and had 65k of trouble free driving. This is just one of those problems that has to be worked through. Again, I am amazed at how critical the correct oil and oil level are, there are several threads on here about that..

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The MDS has been on Hemis since I think 06-07. Yes it started in the cars first. So here it is 10 years later and there is still issues. The lifter problem never went away in later years. So it's not a new design or roll out. So the issue with the manifold bolts goes back to 2003. Ahh the kinks where never worked out of that either.
Even if it's only 5% of trucks it's to many. I've had issues with every one of my Rams with Hemis. Like I said im a Mopar guy to the core but I hope FCA ups the engineering and quality on the next generation Hemi.
The roll out version of any new designs can always be subject to design issues, build issues, etc. Just the way it is with any technology, as time progresses the kinks can be worked out. I have only heard of the lifter/cam issues on 09-11's. I had the manifold bolt issues also. Gotta keep in mind that these are high tech machines and there will be failures. Heck my washing machine which is simple technology in comparison had electrical issues in the first year, the relative repair cost was more than the relative repair cost of my Ram.

I don't think the ratio of severe problems is 50%-50%, maybe 5%-95%. But stonedude is right, this is the forum for sharing experiences. And when most people are looking for experiences or advice, etc. it usually is because they have an issue. The lifter problem is rare enough that there are no recalls and few technical bulletins.

My opinion is that the MDS design could impact the lifters/cams, it just looks like they could starve for oil when the MDS is active. But it is probably more related to lifter design and materials. Overall I love my Ram, bought it in 2014 with 30k and had 65k of trouble free driving. This is just one of those problems that has to be worked through. Again, I am amazed at how critical the correct oil and oil level are, there are several threads on here about that..

OP
OP
R

RafySurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So you think the new Mopar parts (lifters, cams, etc) I now have to buy would have a better lifespan than the originals? I mean have Mopar fix or made better parts even though there is no recall on this issue?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
So you think the new Mopar parts (lifters, cams, etc) I now have to buy would have a better lifespan than the originals? I mean have Mopar fix or made better parts even though there is no recall on this issue?

Doubt it highly, they’re too cheap. Just like the others, the more they spend on r.d. the smaller the big wigs pocket's get.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I assume your out of warranty. If so buy quality aftermarket parts. Delete MDS and call it a day.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
Mine looked just like Alans. Dealership had to fix the issue before I would drive the truck home. $3900 was the estimated cost of repair. I read somewhere else that the only way to truly avoid it, other than luck, is going with parts from a 6.1L hemi, and then I think you have to have it programmed or something. I forget exactly what all was said. I just let them throw the same **** back in there 2012 1500 Sport with 75k miles. Figure if it goes another 75k more before it happens again, I am ok with that :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357